Erap Guilty of Plunder: Is Judgement Fair or Not?

coolbuster2007

The Sandiganbayan Special Division ruled before noontime today, September 12, 2007, that former Philippine President Joseph Estrada a.k.a Erap is guilty beyond reasonable doubt for the crime of plunder and is sentenced to a maximum jail sentence of up to 40 years.

The Sandiganbayan imposed the lesser penalty of reclusion perpetua to Erap, which means imprisonment ranging from 20 years and one day to 40 years. The special court also ordered the forfeiture in favor of the Philippine Government of P542,701,000 with interest and income earned inclusive of the amount of P200M deposited in a foundation set up by Estrada, and the forfeiture of P189M inclusive of interest and income earned deposited in the Jose Velarde account as well as the Boracay mansion in New Manila, Quezon City, Philippines.

The charges include getting payoffs from gambling lords, taking commissions in the purchase of shares by government insurance funds, diverting tobacco taxes for personal use and maintaining a bank account under the false name of Jose Velarde during his term as Philippine President.

This decision of the Sandiganbayan is historical. Do you believe it was fair for Filipinos? or unfair for Erap?

Speak up and share whatever views you have!  :smiley:

Haaaay...i'm sad about the decision...reclusion perpetua ONLY?!?

Also, the situation once again proved that most of the Filipinos are terribily emotional and sentimental, specially the most vulnerable class of them all, the lowest...Can't they see how their sympathy is being used by the estrada family to provoke havoc and chaos...common'

Evidence?!? What evidence are they looking for? Is not the enormous amount of money in his bank account not enough proof? haaaaay....

but then, i don't give up my hopes that someday, this place will become a better one. haaaaaay.....i just wish that when that time comes, i am still alive. :sad:

i'm not sure what i feel about this case, but one thing's for sure,

Haaaay...i'm sad about the decision...reclusion perpetua ONLY?!?

if you're commenting that he gets a sentence worse than reclusion perpetua, i totally disagree. reclusion perpetua is life imprisonment, meaning the next worse sentence would be the death penalty. whatever you say, killing is a sin. i believe no sin can and will be justified by another sin.

A first for us Pinoys, but in South Korea, a couple (i think) of former Presidents are now languishing in jail for crimes they committed while they were in power.  Heck, even the USA had Nixon and Clinton.

We've been so used to getting around the rules (pakiusap, kaliwaan, tawad sa presyo) that we are shocked when these same rules are strictly enforced. 

A step in the right direction, but one nevertheless that must be taken with caution.  So many things could still go wrong at this phase, setting back the hard-earned economic recovery of our country. 

I hope common sense, decency and unclouded (and most especially selfless!) patriotism will be on the hearts and minds of everyone involved.

This is not the end, this is just the beginning....

i just remembered, didn't he get a light reclusion perpetua? i think it's only 40 years or something.

20 years & 1 day up to 40 years.

and check this out.

when the decision becomes final & executory, of course after so many years of trials hearing motions for recons (count another 2-4 years), Erap can avail of a presidential pardon even if he will not ask for it!  :shocked:

many people asked. what's so damn special about this guy?

yeah it is just 20-40 years minus the 6 years he already stayed in his rest house...

so if he lives up to be like his mother (which is 102 years old by the way)... he can still walk freely...

yeah the opposition always use the ignorance of the poor people of the Philippines to gather sympathy and one day i wouldn't be surprised if they would gladly be suicide bombers for the opposition...

poor poor people... im not for Gloria either but how stupid is it to be blinded that Erap is innocent...

Well the opposition is right for one thing The type of Government is not our problem it's those who are in power... but the way the Government is structured and the crab mentality of those in power will guarantee that unless the government is reformed or maybe JUST MAYBE we can be like those fellows from Pampanga and voted the priest as their governor... the Philippines have no future for our children...

yeah it is just 20-40 years minus the 6 years he already stayed in his rest house...

so if he lives up to be like his mother (which is 102 years old by the way)... he can still walk freely...

yeah the opposition always use the ignorance of the poor people of the Philippines to gather sympathy and one day i wouldn't be surprised if they would gladly be suicide bombers for the opposition...

poor poor people... im not for Gloria either but how stupid is it to be blinded that Erap is innocent...

Well the opposition is right for one thing The type of Government is not our problem it's those who are in power... but the way the Government is structured and the crab mentality of those in power will guarantee that unless the government is reformed or maybe JUST MAYBE we can be like those fellows from Pampanga and voted the priest as their governor... the Philippines have no future for our children...

good point.

i am not against Erap or anyone around him (i feed myself anyway) but the tactics they are doing are like the stories of Erap's shelved movies, to use the poor and the less privileged as the main reason of their existence - when in fact in reality - they themselves have not saved the country's ass from poverty!

it's all drama and people got tired of it! no wonder the participants of the staged noisy rallies have decreased.