FastAccess DSL Question??

rjventre

I currently do not have BellSouth's FastAccess DSL in my area but I am hoping to get it soon. I  have a few questions in the mean time though. First of all, what is a DSLAM? I have a SLIC near my house which is the switch board for all of the telephone voice lines and it basically looks like one real big metal box with several smaller ones around it all sitting out in the open mounted to wooden posts. Does a DSLAM look similar to that? Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get BellSouth to establish DSL service in my area? FYI, I live in a community where there are roughly 20-30 households that would be potential customers for their service, if that makes any difference. I currently use HughesNet and I really want to get rid of it. Your responses and input will be much appreciated.

A Digital Subscriber Line Access Multiplexer (DSLAM) allows telephone lines to make faster connections to the Internet. It is a network device, located near the customer's location, that connects multiple customer Digital Subscriber Lines (DSLs) to a high-speed Internet backbone line using multiplexing techniques. By locating DSLAMs at locations remote to the telephone company central office (CO), telephone companies are now providing DSL service to consumers who previously did not live close enough for the technology to work.

Please disregard the previous questions. I now know what a VRAD is and what U-Verse is. Keep in mind however that AT&T and BellSouth have not merged their internet divisions yet. They still have separate plans and pricing. U-Verse is an AT&T product and I am still serviced by BellSouth (the new AT&T). BellSouth is not using VRAD's yet and they are still installing DSLAM's. I still have the question: Can a DSLAM be put anywhere along the buried lines or does it have to be in a certain spot?

Please disregard the previous questions. I now know what a VRAD is and what U-Verse is. Keep in mind however that AT&T and BellSouth have not merged their internet divisions yet. They still have separate plans and pricing. U-Verse is an AT&T product and I am still serviced by BellSouth (the new AT&T). BellSouth is not using VRAD's yet and they are still installing DSLAM's. I still have the question: Can a DSLAM be put anywhere along the buried lines or does it have to be in a certain spot?

the merger is complete. They are going to be keeping the internet plans the same because they are just going to upgrade to adsl2 and vdsl. there is really no need to change the bellsouth plans to AT&T plans yet.

And AT&T is using vrad's in the bellsouth region. They are going in were i am in palm beach and broward county because U-Verse is coming by the end of the year.

Is that the theoretical speed (100Mbps), or is that the speed of an actual future plan? What is the upload supposed to be?

That is the maximum they have it working up to right now. most people that i have seen, have there modems syncing around 70mbps

Right now AT&T offers 6mbps down and 1mbps up. Some time next year they are going to increase the internet speed.

70Mbps, that would be an absolute dream for me!!! Right now I am barely getting 1.2Mbps from HughesNet. Of course I do live in rural Louisiana and we are about 20yrs. behind the rest of the country as far as technology goes. Do you know if their pricing will increase with these faster speeds?

70Mbps, that would be an absolute dream for me!!! Right now I am barely getting 1.2Mbps from HughesNet. Of course I do live in rural Louisiana and we are about 20yrs. behind the rest of the country as far as technology goes. Do you know if their pricing will increase with these faster speeds?

I don't know its too early to tell. also remember you will not be getting 70mbps to your computer. Some of that is dedicated for TV, and if you get HD about 20mbps will be for that.

I'm hoping its not more then $50 a month for at least 15mbps down and 2mbps up. I am really looking forward to U-Verse from what i have seen, the quality is far better then cable and satellite, and much cheaper. It will be nice to finally be able to get HD were i am. LOL