Ambit Cable Modem??

bryanlautt

Just curious if these settings are optimal, seems like the techs are giving me the run around but i think my upload power level is to low? maybe or maybe not, let me know what you think.  details are below.

Cable Modem Upstream

Upstream Lock :  Locked

Upstream Channel ID :  4

Upstream Frequency : 

Upstream Modulation :  QAM16

Upstream Symbol Rate :  2560 Ksym/sec

Upstream transmit Power Level :  33.0 dBmV

Upstream Mini-Slot Size :  2

Cable Modem Downstream

Downstream Lock :  Locked

Downstream Channel Id :  0

Downstream Frequency : 

Downstream Modulation :  QAM256

Downstream Symbol Rate :  5360537

Downstream Interleave Depth :  32

Downstream Receive Power Level :  -1.9 dBmV

Downstream SNR :  36.6 dB

Cable Modem Upstream Burst

Req

Init Maint

Per Maint

Short Data

Long Data

(1)

(3)

(4)

(5)

(6)

Modulation Type QPSK  QPSK  16QAM  16QAM  16QAM 

Differential Encoding Off  Off  Off  Off  Off 

Preamble Length 32 64 128 128 128

Preamble Value Offset 0 64 640 640 640

FEC Error Correction (T) 0 5 5 4 9

FEC Codeword Information Bytes (k) 16 34 34 76 232

Scrambler Seed 338 338 338 338 338

Maximum Burst Size 0 0 0 7 137

Guard Time Size 22 48 48 22 22

Last Codeword Length Fixed  Fixed  Fixed  Short  Short 

Scrambler on/off On  On  On  On  On

Cable Modem Operation Configuration

Network Access :  Allowed

Maximum Downstream Data Rate :  10000000

Maximum Upstream Data Rate :  512000

Maximum Upstream Channel Burst :  3044

Maximum Number of CPEs :  7

Modem Capability :  Concatenation Enabled, Fragametation Enabled, PHS Disabled

Everything looks pretty good to me....

The 33dB on the upstream transmit power is on the low side, but it depends upon how your home is fed by the cable plant outside.

If you are at the end of a feeder run, fed by a 4/2 tap for example, then that 33dB TX would be around normal, again depending on how many splits there are in your home.

yeah im going to buy some coax cable, some of that RG6 quad sheild, and run it from the splitter comming in the apt and straight to the computer room, because they have it all daisy chained so basically my line going to the modem is spliced and split, ok so right now i have a dual splitter one for the tv and the other line going to the modem, and then that modem  line is spliced again. and runs into the bedroom and then into the computer room.  well i think i can just put the 3 way that the tech guy gave me and run a cable straight into the computer room.  Or i could just bring the router and cable modem out to the living room and just buy a cat 5e cable or 6 and run it to the computer.  I think that would be the other option, at least then the wireless router will be in a centralized location then.

Everything looks pretty good to me....

The 33dB on the upstream transmit power is on the low side, but it depends upon how your home is fed by the cable plant outside.

If you are at the end of a feeder run, fed by a 4/2 tap for example, then that 33dB TX would be around normal, again depending on how many splits there are in your home.

Yeah Moved my cable modem and router to the living room so now at least my wireless is centralized and also now my cable line is online split once 3 ways, one to my dvr and the other to my bedroom and then one short line running to my cable, also helped out my singles alot.  pretty bad that a person as to do the work because the cable techs are to lazy to actually do there job right. the first time.

Specs are below of my Ambit cable modem.

Cable Modem Downstream

Downstream Lock :  Locked

Downstream Channel Id :  0

Downstream Frequency : 

Downstream Modulation :  QAM256

Downstream Symbol Rate :  5360537

Downstream Interleave Depth :  32

Downstream Receive Power Level :  -3.0 dBmV

Downstream SNR :  36.6 dB

Cable Modem Upstream

Upstream Lock :  Locked

Upstream Channel ID :  4

Upstream Frequency : 

Upstream Modulation :  QAM16

Upstream Symbol Rate :  2560 Ksym/sec

Upstream transmit Power Level :  45.8 dBmV

Upstream Mini-Slot Size :  2

Cable Modem Operation Configuration

Network Access :  Allowed

Maximum Downstream Data Rate :  0

Maximum Upstream Data Rate :  768000

Maximum Upstream Channel Burst :  3044

Maximum Number of CPEs :  7

Modem Capability :  Concatenation Enabled, Fragametation Enabled, PHS Disabled

Of course i also upgraded back to the top package which is unregulated down and 768k up.  at least thats there way of configruing the modem with a 0  for the unregulated speed for the down stream. but then i am limited to the speed of my cable modem and other networking factures.  my wireless i run around 20mb and my wired computers run around 22mb.  those speeds are at night, during the day around 13 to 15mb. 

Cant wait untill they implement 3.0 on there network instead of the 2.0, i do have an option for DSL and Fiber in town here but there to slow. Qwest DSL is one and the fiber is a small company in town and they are capped at 10MB down and 512k up all though it would be cool of not having to worry about if your cable modem is in sync all the time since the Fiber runs right up to your place and then a cat 5 cable is run into your house right to your computer or router then computer and the TV is acutally 100 percent digital even the lower stations.

I see, my home town has moved ahead of most big cities with the fiber.

By the way I grew up right next to Longfellow Elementary, and live in Neb now.

I was kind of sad when I was in town a few years ago and saw that they removed all the houses on the same block as the school, I used to live right next door on the west side.

edit: spelling

I see, my home town has moved ahead of most big cities with the fiber.

By the way I grew up right next to Longfellow Elementary, and live in Neb now.

I was kind of sad when I was in town a few years ago and saw that they removed all the houses on the same block as the school, I used to live right next door on the west side.

edit: spelling

Wow never would have thought i would meet a person in this forum that grew up in Mitchell, SD,  I myself have lived here for about three years now, next to the Mitchell, Tech and the High School.  yeah alot of the small towns have all fiber now.  I know ITC the one that my parents are with up by Webster, that company tore up all the old lines and put in fiber.  he has a gateway that controls his cable, phone, his DSL., there they have Fiber to the Curb.