Please Suggest Better Processor

coolbuster2007

I have listed all the necessaries to build a fast PC except the processor.

My requirements for a processor:

1. Must be compatible to a motherboard that is SLI compatible.

2. Must have good coolant fan to beat heating up.

3. At least dual core.

Planning to buy these and assemble before the year ends. Your suggestions are appreciated.

I personally prefer amd. As far performance and reliability you just can never be 100 percent sure. It would be the same as comparing chevy and a ford, comparing amd and intel chips. A dual core is nice I have amd 4200. I always suggest when you get close to deciding which chip, excuse this remark, but really use google. See what others are saying about the chip itself.

With a good video card you will not notice that much difference between a dual core 4200 and a 5600. It would be more bragging rights than anything. Also I always suggest don't overclock it. You will just shorten the life and risk messing it up. You will hear oh buy the 5600 its soooooo much faster, in the real world no its not. The speed of the computer depends on many other things such as programs you run, how well you take care of it bla bla bla.

Sorry for the rant. If your into bragging rights and such then spend the money. In the real world you will never notice the difference.

I personally prefer amd. As far performance and reliability you just can never be 100 percent sure. It would be the same as comparing chevy and a ford, comparing amd and intel chips. A dual core is nice I have amd 4200. I always suggest when you get close to deciding which chip, excuse this remark, but really use google. See what others are saying about the chip itself.

No.. it would be way different. Its not like it was were a amd would be 5% faster here, 2% there, The intel's are 30% here 50% there, in some apps. anything over 10% and you notice the difference, and the intel's are often 10% faster. You will notice a big difference in the intel vs. the amd.

Well we are just gonna have to agree to disagree which is cool. I understand what your saying dlewis and in a perfect windows enviroment I would tend to agree. The problem is with windows then ad to it software, and I speak of xp. Vista is just a totaly new monster. You have your browsers as well. In time the processor speed will just not have that big of effect on your computer preformance.

I am just saying as well if cost is a issue then don't strain your budget going with a bigger processor because in time you just won't notice a preformace increase. A nice dual core and a couple gig of dual core ram and a nice video card and your all set. I have always used amd and never had a issue with them, even with stock cooling. I am sure there are intel users that will say the same. That is my defensece with the ford vs chevy comparison. Your speeds depend greatly on the software, how well the operating system behaves, and how well you maintain your computer.

Well we are just gonna have to agree to disagree which is cool. I understand what your saying dlewis and in a perfect windows enviroment I would tend to agree. The problem is with windows then ad to it software, and I speak of xp. Vista is just a totaly new monster. You have your browsers as well. In time the processor speed will just not have that big of effect on your computer preformance.

I am just saying as well if cost is a issue then don't strain your budget going with a bigger processor because in time you just won't notice a preformace increase. A nice dual core and a couple gig of dual core ram and a nice video card and your all set. I have always used amd and never had a issue with them, even with stock cooling. I am sure there are intel users that will say the same. That is my defensece with the ford vs chevy comparison. Your speeds depend greatly on the software, how well the operating system behaves, and how well you maintain your computer.

i agree with you. amd all the way for me.

yeah dlewis, i can see your point, but since i've gone to amd i will never go back to intel until they bring something i will pay their prices for. and so far i've gotten just as good performace out of amd for cheaper than with intel who has higher prices. i dont want to start an arguement though so im leaving this thread after i post this comment.  :wink:

I was an AMD guy too, and still have 1 in my computer but thats only because i dont have the cash for Intels new Core Duo processors. I've come to believe that they are much faster than the fastest AMD processor. All the tests and facts have lead me to believe that. I'm pullin' for AMD though  :wink:.

I would have to say both companies make great processors. The question is what are you going to be doing the most of - web surfing, e-mail, listening to music or all of those plus gaming. Intels are racking the numbers in gaming and you won't notice a difference in general PC use between the two. And to be honest in gaming you will probably not notice more than 10 to 20 FPS difference in games and if you have a killer graphics card that can average 80+ fps in all the games you play it won't really matter which way ya go.