Laptop HELP Please!!

wyantm06

Good luck finding a floppy copy of windows 98....

One thing you could do is put the windows 98 setup files on a floppy from the cd, and then get the setup started and, when it asks for a cab file copy that to a floppy disk and continue the setup.

Ive done that before on a old notebook. It takes a really long time because there is like 130 cab files for windows 98 i think. and you can only fit one on a floppy at a time. That is about your only option.

lol I have come up against that many times , I remove the hard drive and using a cheap adapter , connect it to a desk top , and load it from disk , it works OK on Dells , but you will need the drivers for sound and vid adaptor ,

it also works on old Sony varios , but taking out the hard drive is a nightmare 

wayantm can you explain "I can get the laptop on the desktop ) by network ?

I have no experience of that anyway I just take out the hard drive, and put it in a spare desktop , I get about 10 a year to remove the O/S, normally Win 2000 , sometimes XP pro ,

the last batch was Dell lattitude Cpi 750 's  they run well on Win 2000 , and run Xp

but a bit slow ,

I am still not clear on the " It goes to the desktop"  is this with the hard drive removed and fitted as the only drive in the desktop computer ?

it should the run OK on the desk top computer , after removing the hard drive and fitting it back into the laptop it should be OK , but you may need the sound drivers and Vid. adapter drivers from dell ,

what O/S are you loading , ? 

I didn't do anything to it yet! That's the problem I am having. All it does is load to the desktop, a regular desktop every computer has, and then says illegal operation performed and a green background loads with a mouse cursor only.

, Ok sorry on that, I thought you were loading a fresh copy of the O/S

Ok, I need to fresh install a copy of windows on this older Dell Latitude CPi. It had 98 on it and the windows is all messed up. All it has is a floppy. Is there a way you can get a OS on a bunch of floppies? I need like 98 back on it fresh.

so I gues I cant help you there ,

Why not look for a USB2 to IDE adapter and then Connect a CD drive to it and Run a Win98 CD

Here in the UK you can buy the Adapter for about 10 - 15 quid

http://www.usbnow.co.uk/p63/USB_2.0_to_IDE_Adapter/product_info.html

and then once that is done you can use it for a spare HD you might have as External storage

wyantm06, what I think Roco is suggesting is that you remove the HDD from the laptop and connect it directly to the motherboard of a desktop with a CD drive (after removing its own HDD).  This way you can load the OS on the laptop HDD without having to screw with floppy.

Although I've never tried this, as long as the connections are the same, I can't see why it wouldn't work (rather resourceful, actually).

wyantm06, what I think Roco is suggesting is that you remove the HDD from the laptop and connect it directly to the motherboard of a desktop with a CD drive (after removing its own HDD).  This way you can load the OS on the laptop HDD without having to screw with floppy.

Although I've never tried this, as long as the connections are the same, I can't see why it wouldn't work (rather resourceful, actually).

thanks for clearing that up for me FallowEarth,  it works ok for me , as USB 2 is not activated in the BIOS , and USB is not recognized in  pre boot in older puters ,

although you will need sound drivers and Vid adapters from the makers ,

also a laptop hard drive to desktop  adaptor , cheap enough anyway,