Wireless Slower Than Ethernet After RR Upgrade But Same Before Upgrade

robnich

Before San Diego Time-Warner's Roadrunner speed upgrade, I got 2.8Mbps on both my hard-wired ethernet connection to the cable modem and  my wireless connection through 802.11b (Linksys BEFW11s4 v.3). After the upgrade, the ethernet connection gets 4.9Mbps, but the wireless connection is "only" 3.5Mbps. Now this is plenty fast, but I am wondering why the big difference between wireless and hard-wired when there was no difference before. I upgraded the Linksys firmware to the latest version, but there was no change..

Is this as fast as I can expect without going to 802.11g, or is there anything else I can do? What might cause the change I noted?

Bob N.

Thanks, Swimmer. I did run TCPOptimizer, with no significant change (I think my settings were pretty optimal to begin with.) I think I'll stop being greedy and be satisfied with my 3.5Mbps. My wife is the one with the hard-wired 4.9Mbps, and she couldn't care less about such things, not knowing the difference between TCP and a teepee.

Bob N.

you are on 802.11b..

this is a throughput test on linksys' 802.11 access point

0,1311,i=28920,00.gif

My guess is the test results above were in ideal situtations.. line of site.. no interference..

Yeah I would guess that you are at the peak of the router.. I am not sure how much more 802.11g would get you.. or if it is worth the upgrade.. router and wi-fi card..  You could do a site survey and make sure that on other routers in the general area are on the same channel.. change the channel just to try it...  WEP/WPA does impact speed!! but you need to have one of them unless you life in an area where you are out on a large plot of land..  Other than that.. I think you should be happy!

0,1311,i=74591,00.gif

this is the same test only with the Linksys WRT54GS the 802.11g router..

Thanks, Swimmer. I am quite sure that the possible minimal speed increase with 802.11g is not worth the $150 or so that a card and the WRT54GS  router would cost. I will be happy with my 3.5Mbps wireless, and when I feel the need to be powerful and fast I will go downstairs and use my wife's computer and bask in the glory of 4.9Mbps for a while. Thanks again.

Bob N.

yeah that is true!! just wait for 802.11n then the upgrade might be worth it..

Belkin is the first to market with a wireless router supporting the MIMO (multiple input multiple output) technology, which promises greater throughput and increased range over 802.11a/b/g products. And from what we saw of the Belkin Wireless Pre-N Router, the performance