computing, how did you start ?

Roco

My neighbor suggested I need one. Back in 00 I believe. Got on 28 K dial up right away.Been down hill since.  :lol:

OF course then for a while the HIGH speed satelite service, c/o dway.

I am actually on my second computer also. XP home version once more.

And now on EVDO. Which for where I am, is pretty nice for what is available and price wise.  :grin2:

Yeah, I remember I had no idea how to even D/L to a CD. Almost anything besides surfingwas pretty much greek to me. Heck I can't even speak spanish, let alonse greek.  :lol:

Yeah, this is a great place to learn, and I have been able to help hundreds since I first joined here a long time ago. (just looked August 21, 2005) You mean I been stuck in this place for that long?? One of these days I'll find the exit door if it is the last thing I ever do.

[shug keeps switching the exit signs around]  :wink2:

For me i think i was back in the very early 90's i used a apple i think. If i wanted to run a program i had to pop in this huge black disk. I forgot what size it was :uglystupid2:. LOL. At home I had a tandy but i dont remeber what model, but it had like a 12 inch screen, and ran slow as hell. Then one day i finaly stoped working all together.

we had a cutting edge...286 i think...keyboard...little tiny screen...didn't do much that i remember...bb stuff...i think...then we got a 386 something or another...

hmmmm next was a whole new rig...home built...powerful penium or athelon er something 2...hahaha...i don't know shit...but it all happened really fast and cost this single mom of 5 a buttload of money...a buttload...wanna see pics??

Im not that old  :lipsrsealed: I remember as far back as rebel assult on MSdos (and a box that said harddrive required) and then windows 3.1 with a 5 inch floppy disk, then it was command and conquer tiberian sun, then starcraft.

One vivid memory I have was while walking past harddrives on a shelf.  I was walking from the low end drives 2-8GBs toward the higher end ones.  The further I got the bigger the price tag on each hard drive.  Naturally I wanted to see how high the numbers went.  So I quickly walked onward.  At the end of the shelf where a hard drive was suppost to be there was an empty space.  I read the tag of the missing drive:  40GB,  $4000 dollars.

I remember playing games on the Commodore 64 but i really got into it when i was the only person in HS to elect in taking CAD for the whole year and then ended up reading the whole DOS 3.1 book.  the computer i was using for CAD had a 20 Meg HD and 4 megs of RAM.  I believe the processor was like a 20 or 25 Megahertz.  I remember buying a Gateway back in 1992 it was a 486DX Turbo, with the turbo pressed in it would go 66 Megahertz. WOW smoking i thought :-) it also came with 4 megs of RAM 420 Meg HD and 3.5 flopply, and a cd rom drive.  came with windows for workgroups 3.11.  Got dialup internet though the phone company for like 50 a month for like 20 hours a month of service.  Used Netscape Communicator for email and browsing.  ok i think thats enough i could go on and on and on with all the stuff i worked with but i think after i read the DOS book and got into creating batch files and doing some Qbasic programming is what really got me interested and ended up going to college for computer networking.

in 1978...believe it or not i took computer programing...hahaha...let's see if i can remember the languages...watbol cobol basic...hehehe  :haha:...and something else in those business languages, but i forgot...after i graduated...i was thinking what the hell did i take that for?...what would i ever do with that?  :haha:...now all i remember is binary...and the "if then now" commands that was a looooonnnggg time ago...but guess what?... i still have the books and the programs i wrote...and the print outs of what those programs did...

a buttload...wanna see pics??

Yes I would, throw some pics my way. I think I had a cordless over 40 years ago and I think I still have it, and it works.

Well the kids all knew about computers but I didn't have the time so I bought a book on how to upgrade a PC in 1997. I read the 400+ pages in a week and was getting PC Mag so in Jan of 1998 I ordered a PII with Windows 95. I didn't even know how to turn it on but I knew what the parts inside were. after a couple of years of messing it up and learning to reload, darn boot-up disks, a PC crash at college forced me to send mine to college and me get a bare bones and load Windows 98. Since then I have built 6 or 7 and restored maybe 10 or more PC's, but the software is the tough one. But I managed dial-up and added One-way satellite and then 2-way and now EVDO. All my phones are cell so other than electric I'm wireless and sometimes clueless.

Yes I would, throw some pics my way. I think I had a cordless over 40 years ago and I think I still have it, and it works.

Well the kids all knew about computers but I didn't have the time so I bought a book on how to upgrade a PC in 1997. I read the 400+ pages in a week and was getting PC Mag so in Jan of 1998 I ordered a PII with Windows 95. I didn't even know how to turn it on but I knew what the parts inside were. after a couple of years of messing it up and learning to reload, darn boot-up disks, a PC crash at college forced me to send mine to college and me get a bare bones and load Windows 98. Since then I have built 6 or 7 and restored maybe 10 or more PC's, but the software is the tough one. But I managed dial-up and added One-way satellite and then 2-way and now EVDO. All my phones are cell so other than electric I'm wireless and sometimes clueless.

:lol: Grandpa your quote " and sometimes clueless "  makes me feel better ,

indeed in some computing areas I am totally clueless,

so OK I try to help folk in the UK , I just been trying for 3 days to get a freebie friend on line with broad band with sky ADSl , her line is enabled for adsl after a 3 week wait , but no joy , I finally get onto Sky help desk , finally get to Tech level ,

after pages of scripted talk , we do all the tests , all work out OK , ( various tone Sig's down the phone line etc, zilch ,  she lives in a company apartment , and my first question was you do have your own phone line "yes "

no she doesn't she has a company "dial 9"  for a line connection , DUH , :lol:

any one got the answer for this , OK 56K dial up would not be a problem , as I can add the "9 "  but for allways on broad band ????????,

I told her to contact the company Tech guy , his reply is "I don't know "  :evil2:

Oh lol, "where angels fear to tread"  springs to mind  here ,

Yours sincerely

Clueless UK