Using a Firewall computer with USB DSL modem

Nitro4WD

Hey all!

I've recently rediscovered my old P2 laptop, and have decided it would be put to good use as a hardware firewall for my new desktop. I've read some guides and advice, but it all seems to concern a system connected to the internet using network cards. At the mo I'm using a Speedtouch 330 USB modem to get my DSL connection. Is there still a way to use SmoothWall etc if the connection is:

Phone Socket>ADSL Filter>Modem>Firewall computer (connected by USB)>Desktop (connected by conventional network cards).

Any help would be really appreciated. I'm a noob to networking, but really want to give this a try 'cause the less software I have to use the better (gone through all the major-and some obscure-software firewalls)!

Peace,

Nitro4WD.  :)

As far as I can remember smoothwall degrades internet proformance... I remember telling someone to remove it.. they did and their speed went back up..  Here is how I would do it...

Phone Socket>ADSL Filter>Modem>Firewall computer (connected by USB)->Switch->Desktop.. 

This way you have room to expand and you dont have to worry about crossover..  My guess is that your ping is going to increase a little bit when it hits the second computer... but other than that it should work just fine..