overclocking cpu speed

Guest ExtremeFusion

Guest ExtremeFusion

guys do you know how to overclock a cpu?!

i mean woudn't that damage your system? and pose system instability?

i have this asrock mobo, which lets me determine the multiplier of my clock speed

currently my setting is 133 x 18 which gives me 2394 or 2.4 ghz which is my actual processor speed.

question is can i use another multiplier to increase my processor speed( i can change this settings in my bios)

and how about vtune? does it help overclocking the cpu?  [geek]

Edit by RTB: All caps annoys the **** out of me. Don't do it again. :police:

Yes you have to do your research first!

What are the recommended temps for cpu and ambient for your system?

What frequencies can you expect from FSB on motherboard? CPU? RAM?  (example: which will limit you?)

What voltages are stock, mild overclock, and heavy overclock for all your system componets?

Read overclocking testimonials from other people with the same sys componets.

Learn your stuff, there is a reason why overclocking voids all your warranties.  :haha:

Guest ExtremeFusion

:haha: who needs warranties, i mean seriously the only time stuff goes bad is when your 2 year warranty runs out  :tickedoff:

You are right starship_troopers, my mobo broke down after three years when its warranty already expired.. same for most of my gadgets...  :buck2:

You are right starship_troopers, my mobo broke down after three years when its warranty already expired.. same for most of my gadgets...  :buck2:

same with my samsung monitor. i now have a 22 inch wide screen Acer lcd monitor and it hasn't had a problem yet and the warranty is already expired. but i can't say the same for my acer laptop...it just got out of warranty and the dvd drive went out  :2funny:

I dont understand fr0stbound,

ram up to 1050

Is that in mhz?

What is his stock speed?

800Mhz to 1050Mhz? or 1066mhz to 1050mhz?

I personally saw a 20% improvement going from 800Mhz to 533Mhz and tightening the memory timings.  (more work per cycle)

Guest ExtremeFusion

I guess this overclocking thingy madjiggy is difficult as it sounds..  :knuppel2:

Not only that you have to consider your cpu, you have to consider all of the devices in your system that you're overclocking.. Am I right?!

Which would translate to many different variables in overclocking a system...

Without also the money to backup your experimentation in case you totally messed up and fry your system...

Overclocking is not an option.. hehehe  :evil6:

Darn it...  :evil2:

I dont understand fr0stbound, 

Is that in MHz?

What is his stock speed?

800MHz to 1050MHz? or 1066MHz to 1050MHz?

I personally saw a 20% improvement going from 800MHz to 533MHz and tightening the memory timings.  (more work per cycle)

he said it was his ram, so that's in MB. can't you overclock just the ram? or was he just playing with me?(gets dad's winchester)

he said it was his ram, so that's in MB. can't you overclock just the ram? or was he just playing with me?(gets dad's winchester)

It's impossible to overclock your ram to give you more of it. You can overclock the speeds (MHz) or the timings of it, but not the amount u have.

:lol: overclocking , for me if stock ain't good enought , why waste $$$$ on super cooling etc , when a new puter or upgrade is called for ? 

anyway 6 months down the line we are all out of date anyway ,IMHO ,

Because the cost of a cheaper cpu + a decent cooler is + time invested in OCing is generally far less than that of a faster cpu (and you get the cheap stock cooler then).

Because the cost of a cheaper cpu + a decent cooler is + time invested in OCing is generally far less than that of a faster cpu (and you get the cheap stock cooler then).

Point taken RTB , overclocking isn't for me , but I can apreciate some may wish to do so , and they no doubt derive much satifaction from  it , more power to them  :smile2: is my view ,  :icon_thumright: