Post Your Latest Speed and Latency Tests

WB does not have a way to check signal strength from the computer / modem.  You have to have a signal meter / go outside and hook it up.  They also have some thing you have to hook up on the modem side too so not just any satellite signal meter will work.  (I watched the installer do this upon initial installation.)  I have a $80 signal meter that I use with Dish Network but I'm not sure if it's compatible w/WB.  I'm not sure if calling in to customer support can yield a signal strenght but I know they can tell if I am connected / logged on.  (I can do that by looking at the lights on the modem too--without having to wait on hold.)

I don't think it's poor signal strength either because speeds are much better during off-peak times.  I'm pretty sure it has to do with WB's over selling and having too many subscribers on one beam.  (That's why they aren't accepting any more customers on Duluth WB1 right now.)

--Ted

• 2 weeks later...

share2-7RXEI0SDC&dual=yes&q2=1AZRGF4T6

Thanks for the suggestions, but I've done all that.  I tweaked the browser a while back and that did help somewhat.  The speed slow-down has to do with peak/off-peak times.  If I test at 8:00AM it's much faster--more like it should be.  It has nothing to do with weather because I am located right in the middle of the drought area (if you've seen on the news) and there have only been about 3 days in the past month when skies were something besides 'clear' as defined by the National Weather service...  and even then it was 'partly cloudy' or 'cloudy'.  The last time the weather was inclement was on 8/29--it was defined as 'thunderstorms' and my speed was measured at 262kbs down / 101kbs upload at 8:45PM (local time).  At that time, I was on the basic plan.

Now I'm beginning to wonder if my dish is out of alignment or something--that's why I was asking if anybody else on the same beam / satellite saw the same slow down in the evenings as much as I am.  But I doubt that because, if that were the case, I would have slow down at all times (not just in the evening).  Again, I appreciate the suggestions but I don't think there is anything else I can do software-wise.  The next thing would be to hack WB, I guess, to tweak my QOS.  :police:

share2-7RXEI0SDC&dual=yes&q2=1AZRGF4T6

I have also been seeing the same problems coming off the Duluth beam, I have been a customer of WB since August, previously Hughes (customer service and lousy service ran me off) Dish assured me that all the issues that I had suffered through with Hughes would be a thing of the past.  Well installed signed the 2 year contract and TADA lookie here again peak period outages because they have oversold again. Dish says acceptable dwnld speeds during peak hours is no less than 700 kbps well WB has no bottom line. It seems that you pay them and they are happy and couldn't care less weather or not they provide a quality service. That is my experience and opinion in dealing with them.

When they are the only game in town they have the monopoly to hold your head under water and laugh all the way to the bank. Very frustrated and getting more irate each day.  Who else has this problem with Dish/Wild Blue.

Does anyone know who governs the satellite dish services?

Wild blue over sells their beams and then does nothing to fix their lack of basic services.

My last speed test was 86 kbps that is for the middle of the road package.

I need to know what legal recourse does the consumer have when a contract is being violated by the provider?

Please help.

• 3 weeks later...

WB does not have a way to check signal strength from the computer / modem.  You have to have a signal meter / go outside and hook it up.  They also have some thing you have to hook up on the modem side too so not just any satellite signal meter will work.  (I watched the installer do this upon initial installation.)  I have a $80 signal meter that I use with Dish Network but I'm not sure if it's compatible w/WB.  I'm not sure if calling in to customer support can yield a signal strenght but I know they can tell if I am connected / logged on.  (I can do that by looking at the lights on the modem too--without having to wait on hold.)

I don't think it's poor signal strength either because speeds are much better during off-peak times.  I'm pretty sure it has to do with WB's over selling and having too many subscribers on one beam.  (That's why they aren't accepting any more customers on Duluth WB1 right now.)

--Ted

Yes wild blue can check your signal strengths online through the program they have it tells all signal strengths and also how long you have been logged on. I know this for a fact. But.... even if they send the info to the guys who are supposed to come fix it they tell you that nothing is wrong  :knuppel2: Sounds like tis time for a call to the BBB like as posted before. The techs come out and fill you with any kind of bull they can to leave even if they are proven factually wrong they argue with you. What ever happened to the customer is allways rite? They cant even follow there own regulations correctly and i proved it to them then they send you in circles tryn to get rid of you but still want the money at the end of the month. Like i said its time for the me to call the BBB.  :police:

As a relative newbie here (but a 2-year WB customer), I'm going to post my latest test scores here - even though I'm not quite sure what they mean.    :roll:  :grin2:

I just upgraded to the ProPak yesterday because of a special my provider is running.  If I'm doing the math correctly, it is actually $20 cheaper for me to be on the ProPak for one year than the middle package, which is what I've been on.

Are these speeds about right for the ProPak?

:::.. testmy.net test results ..:::

Download Connection is:: 1555 Kbps about 1.56 Mbps (tested with 1496 kB)

Download Speed is:: 190 kB/s

Upload Connection is:: 156 Kbps about 0.2 Mbps (tested with 386 kB)

Upload Speed is:: 19 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net (Main)

Test Time:: 2007/12/12 - 6:23am

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-8WLTK0XIR

U-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-S5I1BJPYE

User Agent:: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 6.0; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.04506) [!]

I did these using the largest file...

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Download Connection is:: 1512 Kbps about 1.5 Mbps (tested with 2992 kB)

Download Speed is:: 185 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (Main)

Test Time:: 2007/12/12 - 6:38am

Bottom Line:: 26X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 5.54 sec

Tested from a 2992 kB file and took 16.206 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: Awesome! 20% + : 41.71 % faster than the average for host (wildblue.net)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-K6FBNTAJL

User Agent:: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 6.0; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.04506) [!]

:::.. Upload Stats ..:::

Upload Connection is:: 237 Kbps about 0.2 Mbps (tested with 2992 kB)

Upload Speed is:: 29 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (Main)

Test Time:: 2007/12/12 - 6:41am

Bottom Line:: 4X faster than 56K 1MB Upload in 35.31 sec

Tested from a 2992 kB file and took 103.352 seconds to complete

Upload Diagnosis:: Awesome! 20% + : 109.73 % faster than the average for host (wildblue.net)

U-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-W1OYZ4RFL

Wow i come to find out that every nite between 1230 and 430 wildblue does work on their gateway in wy. Took only about 10 calls to find the rite tech to tell me the truth about it. Now here is the big shocker!!!!!!  :police: I finally received my new modem after the 3rd guy came. I was promised it on the first guy. But the thing is that the tech support they have to report it to. Every modem has its own mac address. No 2 can be the same. For some reason i have the same mac address. I even looked on the sticker on the back. How is this possible. One would say that it is the same modem. They told me it must be. Funny thing is i watched the guy pull it out of the box take my old one and put it in his bag. The old one was blue new one is black. old one had a differant shape. Old one also had a differant power adaptor to it.  :police: Something just isn't rite here. They keep thinking that they are talking to the average PC guy. Telling me my router is bad but i bypass it. Telling me my wireless is bad but i just ran cat 6 cable. Telling me my ethernet cable is bad. Little do they know i carry a rj45 tester lol. Telling me i got a virus. Little did they know i got more then 5 pcs one with a fresh install off a brand new hard drive just ordered. They try to tell me its cause i dont got the wildblue optimizer but i do got it on a few pcs i just hate what it does to my pcs but keep it there to catch them in their lies. I have proven everything to them and they still say i am wrong lol.  They capped me when i was at 80% of my usage without sending me the warning email. I call them out on it and they make it so i cant read my December usage limit. This company is asking for more trouble then they can handle.

So in protest i write this to all u real techys out there (1337) go ahead feel free looks like u can make a modem and a satelite connect to there net and have the same mac address as someone else without them being able to read it. I personally don't know how to do this and i am not asking to know. But given all the times they screwed me over i think the public should know. I could care less if they get ripped off cause they rip people off everyday.

Like i said before enough complaint and they will have to fix it or action will be filled against them by someone higher and they will be shut down. My actions are better business burrow and the public service commission. This time the county commissioner is going to file them for me :) With screen shots i have taken of my speeds that wildblue will not accept wont even give me a place to send them. There responce was your net is just fine that i am wrong lol. :knuppel2: Thanks to one good tech that actually believed in doing his job i know the truth i know the scandals and they are on my side saying something is really messed up. Too bad they don't live here and service my internet.  :evil2::angry::tickedoff:

They advertise allways on internet but that isn't true.

They say that they will notify you at 80% of download that isn't true.

They offer a package that you can only get 80% before they "fap" you. So what exactly is a fair access policy if they dont follow their own guidelines? How can this be?

I was away for 10 days with pcs off and my downloads did not go down.

Now the mac address is the same as the old modem. That is not a good sign people. BEWARE! VERY BAD THING!

Anyone know of a federal place to report this to? I would love to tell  them about it  :?:

• 3 weeks later...

Download Connection is:: 1569 Kbps about 1.57 Mbps (tested with 1496 kB)

Download Speed is:: 192 kB/s

Upload Connection is:: 157 Kbps about 0.2 Mbps (tested with 386 kB)

Test Time:: 2007/12/31 - 6:53pm

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-6YW24G5X8

U-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-SO310VP6W

User Agent:: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; InfoPath.1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.30; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.648) [!]

• 1 year later...

just did speed tests put image in my signature, are these acceptable for the pro package?

I think your system is broken.  :evil6:

Since your download speed in the early am hours is twice the speed that the home Pro package(1.5Mbps) is supposed to be. The upload speed is normal.

Download Connection is:: 3105 Kbps about 3.11 Mbps (tested with 6144 kB)

Download Speed is:: 379 kB/s

Upload Connection is:: 154 Kbps about 0.2 Mbps (tested with 386 kB)

Test Time:: 2009/09/20 - 11:27am

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-OJC5WBG1V

U-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-FHCB5DZG1

User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.3) Gecko/20090824 Firefox/3.5.3 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729) [!]

lol there slacking in  the whole throttling department >.<