How did you find TMN?

FiberOptic

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought I'de post the real way I was suckered in  :evil6:

I have a few friends that work for my ISP  , when I was having issues,  they suggested I visit TMN, So I did, it took me nearly a year of reading all the topics and learning the personalities to join. 

Sure glad I did, because I had to use the recorded  tests for proof the ISP was not upholding there end of the deal.  Not only that, I have made several good friends here. :)  Thanks TMN.

I found TMN in May of 2005.  I was then living in Aubrey, TX and I needed a test server that was close in proximity to where I lived for testing my speeds.  The server I had been using for the eight and a half years prior was on the West Coast where I used to live and the time to get there was very slow from Texas.  The same with East Coast servers.

Now that I am back in Southern California I use my old test server because there are five of them here in California, two of them being less that 150 miles from me.

My scores are way too low using Texas servers now as you will see below.

Ja'Krinda

I have 9000/768

share2-08PBJ3ZTA&dual=yes&q2=2TMXDLW0S

I found TMN about a year ago when i first got a dsl connection and i was looking to check my speed's because i thought it was downloading slow. I found out that i was running at normal speeds for my location. I've learned a lot from TMN since then.

I found TMN in May of 2005.  I was then living in Aubrey, TX and I needed a test server that was close in proximity to where I lived for testing my speeds.  The server I had been using for the eight and a half years prior was on the West Coast where I used to live and the time to get there was very slow from Texas.  The same with East Coast servers.

Now that I am back in Southern California I use my old test server because there are five of them here in California, two of them being less that 150 miles from me.

My scores are way too low using Texas servers now as you will see below.

Ja'Krinda

I have 9000/768

share2-08PBJ3ZTA&dual=yes&q2=2TMXDLW0S

So are you saying you like the other servers better because they give you what you want to see?  Not necessarily what the reality is?  Just curious...............

Not at all! It is just a well known fact that the closer you are to a server the less congestion there is. And a default copy of Windows will probably not achieve your purchased speed with a distant speed test server, especially if you have a fast connection!  I have tweaked my TCP/IP stack to maximize my speeds but anything east of  the "Rockies" deteriorates in speed.  And I chalk this up to my connection because any tests done to a server in the Western portion of the US gives me respectable speeds.

Why should I continue to test on a server that gives me lower speeds than what I purchased?  I do test here but I take into consideration the distance.

Ja'Krinda

So are you saying you like the other servers better because they give you what you want to see?  Not necessarily what the reality is?  Just curious...............

Not at all! It is just a well known fact that the closer you are to a server the less congestion there is. And a default copy of Windows will probably not achieve your purchased speed with a distant speed test server, especially if you have a fast connection!  I have tweaked my TCP/IP stack to maximize my speeds but anything east of  the "Rockies" deteriorates in speed.  And I chalk this up to my connection because any tests done to a server in the Western portion of the US gives me respectable speeds.

Why should I continue to test on a server that gives me lower speeds than what I purchased?  I do test here but I take into consideration the distance.

Ja'Krinda

Gotcha  :wink2:    Where ya been all this time?  lol  You should come around more,      Hey , who's your ISP anyway? That seems like a good package you have, Wish I could get that here.  :smile2:

Gotcha  :wink2:    Where ya been all this time?  lol  You should come around more,      Hey , who's your ISP anyway? That seems like a good package you have, Wish I could get that here.  :smile2:

Thanks I have Cox HSI here in San Diego, CA.  The speed test banner up above says Host: cox.net. Your speeds are faster than mine, at least they are here.

Ja'Krinda

Thanks I have Cox HSI here in San Diego, CA.  The speed test banner up above says Host: cox.net. Your speeds are faster than mine, at least they are here.

Ja'Krinda

How do you do overall though, because sometimes I get really good speeds, say like from Microsoft ,  or something like that , where they have a good throughput.  I'm in Ohio BTW, so I think I'm a bit farther from the server.

when i got my dsl, wanted to check my speed, googled came upon this, realized people here listened to others and tried to help, really enjoy having conversations here, haven't been on in a while though, geez high school, senior now though woot!  :idiot2:

when i got my dsl, wanted to check my speed, googled came upon this, realized people here listened to others and tried to help, really enjoy having conversations here, haven't been on in a while though, geez high school, senior now though woot!  :idiot2:

Dang dude, time flies huh? And your right, it is good conversation as well as the info you can gather.