How did you find TMN?

FiberOptic

what a beautiful poem roco...

ca3le found TMN somewhere deep inside his beautiful brain...

me i found tmn one morning...my son said...mom come see the test i made to test our connection...and i was hooked...

:smitten:

You must be very proud of your son, I know I would be just as sure as I am that you are.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure  :idea::icon_scratch:

oh my god!!...i hope ur joking...if not i'm gettin my whippin stick...i mean log... :haha:

do u seriously want him to come in here and tell u how he found tmn...??? :roll:

You must be very proud of your son, I know I would be just as sure as I am that you are.

yep he sure pointed me in the right direction...

By trance and by  chance

I wandered lonely as a cloud

That floats on high o'er vales and hills,

When all at once I saw the TMN crowd,

and oft, when on my couch I lie

In vacant or in pensive mood,

They flash upon the old LCD

and  my heart with pleasure fills,

:lol: I guess I coulden't find anything better to do , or indeed a better place to be,

BTW, how did Ca3le find TMN:icon_scratch:

I found testmy.net one day when I got cable internet before just about anyone in the world... there was pretty much nowhere that I could test my speed at so I built my own test.  It was initially private but some search engine accidentally spidered the page.  I started to noticed a ton of traffic going to that portion of my site so I started working on that portion of the site more... time passed and it grew and grew.  Ended up branching off from my main site and becoming it's own thing.  when the site first opened bandwidth was much more expensive than it is now so it actually hit a point where I couldn't afford to host it anymore... the thing is, I didn't start this site with the intention to make money... but when it got to the point where I couldn't afford the hosting I decided to put some ads up to cover the cost of hosting (there was stuff that happened before this, like for a little while I was donated a server from an ISP, then a server from a hosting company.... but the connections weren't to par with what my users had come to expect so I left them, even though they were free).  I ended up having to go to the hospital to get my jaw wired shut because when the first days stats came in from my ads my jaw hit the floor... it had more than paid for the server in the first day, so in turn I ordered my users a much more powerful server... I figured that they had supported the site by supporting my advertisers so I owed it to them.  I also kinda smacked myself for not putting the ads up sooner.  Here I was, thinking that my idea was dead because hosting was too expensive, the site was down on and off for... man.. I don't know.. a looooooong time.  testmy.net and it's various other domain names were blacklisted from every free web hosting site on the planet, I was even blacklisted from a bunch of pay hosting sites (not dedicated servers)... companies that claimed they offered unlimited bandwidth who then later emailed me saying "your site has been DELETED FROM OUR SERVER!  Over 90% of our outbound traffic on our network is originating from your account! (of course in that case the 'company' was most likely just some dude with like 5 or 10 colo boxes in some larger hosting companies rack)  -- I got sooooo many nasty letters and just about all the places that banned me did so without giving me any warning because once they noticed they wanted to put a stop to it ASAP because I was costing them a ton of money in bandwidth overages.  --

Check this out... before I ended up putting the ads up to where I was able to get a dedicated box I did one thing that was scandalous.  The only reason I can talk about it now is because it's been so many years.  So check it out, I had a bandwidth issue.  So what did I do to overcome the problem?  i ran the site from one server... THEN I went out on the net and searched for large images, MP3s, misc files.. etc.. then I created a system that would rotate the information of each of those downloads.  I had a list of hundreds so that I wasn't pulling highly noticeable bandwidth from any of them.  So I pretty much used everyone else's bandwidth to run the site.  It was for only a brief time though.  Also, not only were there hundreds of downloads rotating for the test but also I was moving and adding new files at least every few days so that none of them stayed on the list too long.  The problem with that test was that people never knew what test they would get, it would show them the test information before they clicked to start so some people would just refresh the page till they got a random test they liked, this test was only for the large test sizes, people on slow broadband or dial-up were able to test off TMN... but doing that little scam dropped the site bandwidth down to a manageable number... it was still many GB/month but at least it wasn't TB's  :-P -- oh yeah, when I was doing that i also provided links to all the sites that I 'borrowed' bandwidth from to give them some traffic for their 'support'  ;-) -- I never had even one person complain about the site sucking them dry because the way I did it was very gentle on the host server.

I could go on forever about the site history, it's been through so many phases over the years.  And been through so many versions... it's been hacked a few times... it's been completely lost in a crash to where I had to rewrite everything from scratch (my personal hard drive happened to crash a few days before the server crashed so I had no backup, needless to say... I have many hard copies of the code these days).  --- And it still has many more adventures yet to come, so stick around.

So anyways... to answer your question... I found it on google... bah ha ha ha :haha: :haha: :haha:  --  [nerd] Hell, ya just might learn something!  [nerdly]

Thanks Ca3le , a very amazing  inspirational story , and good luck for the future ,

:grin2: BTW, I was around when electrickery was invented ,and instant messages went by pigeon , I hit on the idea of leasing out talking parrots , but it never caught on  :cry2:

wow where did u get that...there actually used to be a link to that on every page...what happened to that

and it's obvious that you have bee copied several times over.

yes once the test code...exact line for line code was stolen...and he called them and told them to remove it from their site...and they did...but they acted like they didn't know what he was talking about...that was like 5 yrs ago or so...that site is still one of our competetors...

That was a great story in fact. And well worth the bothering too.  :twisted:

oh my god!!...i hope ur joking...if not i'm gettin my whippin stick...i mean log... :haha:

do u seriously want him to come in here and tell u how he found tmn...??? :roll:

Creative and ingenious to say the least.  :-P

So do I still get my whippins?  :azn: