fellow HP users

O.K. just want to post this in case any other fellow HP PC users are victim to this problem. i got a new RAM stick from newegg and tried to stick it in my comp. didnt fit. i tried for 5-10 mins it wouldnt go in. called a friend, found out my comp isnt compatible with the RAM, so i took it out, tried to turn on my comp, and it turned on and beeped. a long beep, a long pause, repeat till you turn it off. so i called India ( HP tech support) and spelled out my name, address, email address, model #, serial #, etc.. etc..

btw never tell them that you messed with the computer or  your warranty is voided, so i complained that my computer randomly started beeping, and it was because my original ram wasn't in all the way..so just make sure your RAM is in correclty if your computer does that. hopefully this thread will spare at least one person from calling HP tech support

yes more than likely you bought sdram (more common) I'm not sure about your HP but I just bought my brother an HP 4 months ago and his uses DDR ram so I'm sure that was your problem to begin with...and good luck trying to find the exact type...I had to call up HP non support and talked to sales (go figure) to find out what type of memory I had in my compaq notebook

i asked someone what the best kind of ram to get was, and they told me a DDR2 5200 something, so i got that. but it wouldnt fit in right, so i went to staples and got a DDR PC 2700 for 80 bucks, and with the 30 dollar rebate its 50 bucks, and it fit right in now i have a GB of ram yay : )

and it was funny the tech support guy asked me "did you recently try to put memory in your computer?" after i told him what was wrong, as my computer is opened up with a memory stick on my desk lol. "no i didnt touch it! it just beeped."

Well that was probably your problem DDR2 is like the second DDR and is only available on most recent systems!!! And you probably had yours for awhile meaning that it is older or like mine not to old and uses DDR not DDR2!!! Do you have a book for your pc or a motherboard book!!!? I don't know if HP comes with them but mine did but it was custom build by me!!! But anyway if you have a book on it it should say what kind of ram will work thanks!!!!

Yea well mines not that old but older than that but I have had mine for less than a year I think!!! But anyway that is probably why you got it from walmart there pcs are not the best!!! Also if you got it from walmart then you should have a box with it look on the box it should have the kind of ram!!! Or look at your books it should have came with some!!!

O.K. just want to post this in case any other fellow HP PC users are victim to this problem. i got a new RAM stick from newegg and tried to stick it in my comp. didn't fit. i tried for 5-10 mins it wouldn't go in. called a friend, found out my comp isn't compatible with the RAM, so i took it out, tried to turn on my comp, and it turned on and beeped. a long beep, a long pause, repeat till you turn it off. so i called India ( HP tech support) and spelled out my name, address, email address, model #, serial #, etc.. etc..

btw never tell them that you messed with the computer or