Score Database

CA3LE

Had a few problems with the score database this morning as some of you may have noticed.  I'll be working this morning on optimizing it to alleviate the problems and to free up some system resources on the server.  So please bear with us this morning (and most likely this afternoon), the site may lag out for you a few times during the process because the commands I need to run are very resource intensive.

For the moment the score signature image that some of you are using as your signatures will be disabled, this is because that image is drawn on the fly by the server and a query of the score database is needed to perform that action. 

At the moment I have no ETA but I'll be working nonstop on this until the database resource choke has been alleviated.  I'll update this post and close the topic once I'm finished. 

While I'm at it I'll be optimizing the other various databases but since this is preventative maintenance those services will not go down nor will they have issues related to their optimization, although, any and all portions of the site that are database driven (pretty much everything) could have issues if any of the commands I perform in mySQL get bogged down... but I'll try and make sure that my queries are small enough to avoid any further issues.

Thanks for your patience and patronage.

- Damon ~ testmy.net owner/admin

Update:

Database optimization is done, everything should be fully functional, took longer than expected but it's done now.  Sorry about the downtime folks.

-Damon

Glad  to see you are up and moving again.

Yeah, I'm getting much better, I can sorta use a computer now.  (for those of you that don't know, I was in a motorcycle accident.  Had to have surgery to put my hand back together).  I get out of my cast in about a week and a half. 

This ordeal has made me realize how much I use my left hand :-P -- and although I only had the left hand messed up I still couldn't even use a computer with just my right hand because I tore a ligament (it didn't break just tore a bit) in my right shoulder.  It made it really hard to do everything for a long while.  But the shoulder is about 75% better, still hurts like a bitch sometimes but not nearly as bad as it was.  I was so messed up that I couldn't (for a while) even wash a dish because it required me to lift my arm up to sink height and although I could do it I REALLY couldn't do it because I shouldn't do it, because I'm guessing that a hardcore shooting pain that runs from your fingertips all the way to your backbone is a pretty good indicaion that your body is telling you DON'T DO THAT DUMMY!  :evil6: -  It was weird because the first day I didn't even know I had really hurt anything, the real pain took a little while to set in.  And my hand was so swollen that I didn't even know it was broken for two days... then I was like "ummm, I don't think that's supposed to bend like that..." -- and then at about day four my right shoulder turned a black red, I guess that blood was pooling in my arm (nothing like a bruse).  I have a nearly 1/2 sleeve shoulder/arm tattoo that's very heavy black tribal and there was a large portion of the tattoo that couldn't be seen because of it, lol.

Anyways, back to the database stuff... mySQL just crashed after my query... I thought that query might be too big.. WHOOPS!  :-P

:iamwithstupid:

even the site database welcomes you back too. only with a lot of work.

hehe

Okay, I've been bustin my butt but it was worth it.  I wrote myself a script that automates this curtain optimization process that I normally did by hand.  With the use of this script the process will be completed without...

A: crashing the server because the queries are too big

B: having me sit here and enter a million tiny queries

The script basically cleans up the millions of old entries in the score database.  this would normally not be that taxing on the server but because I need to make sure that users and affiliate scores don't get killed I have to cross reference multiple indexes in the database.... and that's where it can get taxing..... especially when there's 5 million entries to delete.

Anyways... the script is running and doing it's thing.  It's automated but it will still take a while because there it time between queries to make sure mySQL doesn't overload but I'll have the scores back up as soon as it's safe to do so.

- Damon

if you'd learned to type with your nose or a stick in your mouth it woulkda been done a long time ago...  :evil6:

yeah, dammit, you could stick a couple pencils up yer nose and do it that way, whats ammata wit ya?  :2funny: :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:  I could see it now, you'de look like the roadrunner tryin to peck the pile of food off the middle of the road  :2funny: :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:

hahahah, get better dude!  :haha: :haha:

if you'd learned to type with your nose or a stick in your mouth it woulkda been done a long time ago...  :evil6:

yeah, dammit, you could stick a couple pencils up yer nose and do it that way, whats ammata wit ya?  :2funny: :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:  I could see it now, you'de look like the roadrunner tryin to peck the pile of food off the middle of the road  :2funny: :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:

hahahah, get better dude!  :haha: :haha:

No mercy here.... :haha: (smileys are broken)

smilies aren't broken...huh?? were they?? i missed it...they're fine now

Hmm, sorry TMama, I opened TMN up in IE and the smileys work fine, but in Firefox, they don't for me.

It very well could be a major malfunction on my end, of course, today is one of those days...

Will try clearing cache, etc...