Hardware Question

Xylem

I realize this isn't the best forums to ask in, but I've found many people here know their stuff and are helpful. I just bought a new Motherbard, Processor and Ram.

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-M61P-S3 AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 6100 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz Socket AM2 Processor Model ADX6000CZBOX - Retail

RAM: A-DATA 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model ADQVE1A16K - Retail

I see that the RAM is running on a multiplier, and I was hoping to get it to run 1:1 with the processor (which would mean the processor would have to run at 400MHz fsb with a multiplier of 8.)

But I can't get the FSB to get anywhere near that high, the computer fails to post at anything over 300MHz FSB. Is it possible for me to get the RAM to run 1:1 with the processor on this hardware setup?

The recommended latencies of CAS 4-4-4-12 at 800 MHz clock speeds are very good, as the vast majority of "standard" DDR2-800 memory modules on the market run at CAS 5-5-5-18 latencies at this same clock speed. Our testing in the past has shown that CAS 4-4-4 latencies typically deliver about 5% better overall system performance across the board compared to CAS 5-5-5 modules.

I've searched all over these forums and read that keeping your ram and FSB frequency on a 1:1 ratio is the best for performance. I understand this, but I don't understand however why

What you really should be asking is why are memory manufacturers producing RAM that far exceeds the FSB capabilities of current CPUs.

One advantage to underclocking high rated RAM is that you can usually tighten up on the timings significantly. If you have DDR2-1066 with default timings of 5-5-5-15 & clock it down to DDR2-677 to run in sync with a 1333MHz FSB CPU, you *may* be able to set the timings as tight as 3-3-3-8. Try to find DDR2-667 with default timings like that!

I would test the system.  Run stock and record some kind of memory benchmark.  Increase the ram by ratio of cpu:ram (5:6 perhaps) record results.  Underclock the ram by the ratio (6:5) and tighten the latencies, record results.

It sounds like you took your stock fsb and 1:1 ratio of 200mhz = 200 ram, double data = 400

then you overclocked fsb = 300mhz = ram 300, double data rate = 600