Double Internet Speed

JoeBro47213

Well I never looked into it, but heres what I know.

You would have to pay your ISP for a second cable coming into your home. If there is only one computer in your home you might need:

Two internet connections (double the montly bill), connected to a pair of modems connected to a dual router capable of load balancing, which is finally connected to your computer.

OR

Two internet connections (double the bill), going to a single modem with two internet ports (can't even find the thing exists, but i heard of it), then connected to your computer.

It sounds like you do some research of dual ethernet adapters

If there are two or more computers in your home then the dual router can take those two internets and divide it to however many computers you have.

On another note, my research mostly turned up results from the ancient days of dial-up internet where the physical telephone wire was the limit on bandwidth.  This led the desire for dual dial-up modems effectively giving you 56kb times two!   :cheesy:  But the ethernet cable is not a major bottleneck today.  For that reason ISP's offer multiple speed packages to their customers giving each one the same cable modem and same set of wires.

whats even more baffling to me is that he says he has the same ip as his brother.

i have 2 sbv5120 cable modems with service, one mine the other my brothers but they both have the same ip (no idea)

same ip with 2 different lines?

whats even more baffling to me is that he says he has the same ip as his brother.

same ip with 2 different lines?

The IP address is leased to the MAC address that requests it. In this case I am sure he is using either the same router or NIC card. In either case the requesting MAC would be the same and the same IP address would be handed out until the lease expires.