How do i enhance the process of backing up my dvds?

alan8187

I collect dvds but I do not like to use the original copy, So I back up my movies with dvdshink. But it takes a good 30 minutes to shrink and 10 to burn to dvd. I am planning on getting a new computer. What computer specs should I look for to enhance the process of backing up my dvds?

I would guess you do something like this:

Read a dvd, save a few GB of data in a multiple files, then you get another program to read those files and burn to dvd.

So the primary demands are read & write on dvd drive, and read & write on hard drive.  Other than that stating the obivious I would direct you see what kind of fast dvd drives are on the market.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-RAM

alan8187 ;I suggest you buy these two programs Any DVD & Clone DVD2 if you buy them at the same time there is some discount.They come with lifetime regular updates.Used together they will decrypt shrink & burn a DVD to the HD in about 11 to 15 min.The starting original DVD being approximately 8GB will shrink to 4.36 GB for a full copy.Assuming you are copying to a single layer disk.Then from HD to DVD in 9 to 10 min. I think you can burn directly to DVD if you have 2 DVD drives one to read & one to burn but this is not the recommended way to get the best copy.

One added hint if you let your burner cool about 15 min between burns it will last a lot longer.That is the burn to DVD not the read & burn to HD the latter does not heat the DVD drive much.

btw Verbatim discs are considered the best.

Alan, what is your current dvd burn speed and cpu?

Suquoia, what is your dvd burn speed and cpu?

Im interested to see if the AnyDvd program is more efficient than DvdShrink given the same processing power.

and

how much faster can a new cpu work on a 4GB decryption compared to and older cpu?

Blako ;I mostly use my older PC for burning & the speeds above are for it.I burn a DVD +R at 6X speed on it .Its CPU is a 450 MB Intel.

I also have DvdShrink but I like the ease of the other 2.

When I have time I will do some comparing with my newer PC.I just find it convenient to let the old one do the DVD's while I do other things on the newer one.

The newer one has a AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+, 2000 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s).

You can copy with all freeware if you use DVDFab HD Decrypter,DVDShrink & ImgBurn.It takes about 13GB HD space & you have to build an ISO file in ImgBurn then write that to DVD.

Blako ;I mostly use my older PC for burning & the speeds above are for it.I burn a DVD +R at 6X speed on it .Its CPU is a 450 MB Intel.

I also have DvdShrink but I like the ease of the other 2.

When I have time I will do some comparing with my newer PC.I just find it convenient to let the old one do the DVD's while I do other things on the newer one.

The newer one has a AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+, 2000 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s).

You can copy with all freeware if you use DVDFab HD Decrypter,DVDShrink & ImgBurn.It takes about 13GB HD space & you have to build an ISO file in ImgBurn then write that to DVD.

actually you can also do it completely free by using ripit4me, dvd decrypter and dvd srhink...takes about 45 minutes and around 10 gigs of space.

atleast it is on my system. i havent burned a dvd since i got my cpu though...i had an amd athlon 64 3800+ , now i have an amd athlon 64 x2 dual core 5600+

Well, I am using my laptop w/ AMD Turion 64 single core 2.0GHz w/ burn speed at 11X.

Sticking to the topic, is there a way to burn several movies into one dvd? I know putting more than one movie on one dvd lowers the quality. Lets say I have a movie and its sequel and I want to back both of them into one dvd. do I have to rip movie 1 and 2 into a different format like AVI then back to VOB?

Coknuck AnyDVD & CloneDVD2 will let you decrypt and record .You have to have 2 DVD units one to read the DVD you are copying & one to burn the copy.It is still recommended you burn to the HD then make the copy from that for best quality.

alan8187 I don't know how to put multiple movies on one disc.For one thing you are already compressing the movie from approxamatly 8GB to 4.36 GB or a little smaller if you copy the movie only.If you have or get a large screen TV you will notice if you do multiple movies on one single layer disc.

I actually do know a way to do what you want to do .It requires you to make a decrypted copy on your PC.You can do this to an DVD RW disc (Only use the recomended speed for the RW usually 4X).Then you need 2 home DVD units one can be just a player.Then you can copy with the home DVD recorder in real time.Some of these units will let you record up to 10 hours on a single layer disc.

If someone knows a way or the software to do this with a PC I would like to know myself.I don't think I would do it much but would like to be able to if I wanted to.

If you are going to try AVI & back which is basically editing you are going to have to get into it above my level.I read some on that & it is more than I'm willing to do just to put more movies on one disc .Only to end up with poor quality.

Try using Cucusoft Pro

I have used this and created a DVD of Toy story and Toy story 2 on the same DVD

with a Menu to elect which film you would like to watch

it will depend on the Size of film of course

And before you all give Sarky remarks it was for my Nephew