thermal paste questions.....

ninjageek

Getting ready to replace my heat sink and fan for my cpu. Not sure how to aply the thermal paste, how much to use, how to clean the old off before aplying the new. Replacing to see if it helps with cooling issues.

Here is the thermal paste....http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Description=arctic+silver+5+thermal+compound.&x=14&y=36

Here is the fan......http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185125

I know the fan will fit my setup, have a dual core atholon with a asus motherboard.

Thank you kindly in advance.

I have the same F/H and Arctic Silver5 as you just got. I use a coffee filter to clean the top of the CPU. Coffee filters are lint free and just abrasive enough to clean the little grooves out ont the CPU. I use a little Rubbing Alcohol also but don't get the filter to wet. Just enough to get the rest of the paste off. The compound should be put in the middle of the CPU about the size a grain if rice about 3/8 to 1/2 long. You don't want to put to much on. By the way doesn't the heat sink already have silver paste on it? Thats good paste thats on there already. 90% of all silver paste is the same anyhow.

Do not use rubbing alcohol... you will destroy the heat sink.

Since the heatsink has a thermal pad already on there, i would recommend keeping that, they are better then thermal grease because the cover the processor more evenly.

But if you want to use thermal grease use a razor blade to scrape off the thermal pad. Wipe the surface with something abrasive then apply the new thermal grease.

When you apply the thermal grease just put a little dab on it, then spread it around the bottom plate evenly. If you do not put enough you will have thermal problems, if you put too much it will come out of the sides and give you a whole bunch of problems that you don't want.

Look at how the thermal pad is on there try and get it that same size, about a 1/16 of space on each size.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

Please try this link.

Take care not to scratch the surface of the heatsink when removing the pad, a plastic tool is recommended in the removal of thermal pads or other thermal interface material. You can then optimally remove the remnants of the wax or other thermal interface material by using ArctiClean 1 and 2. You can adequately clean the remnants with a xylene based cleaner, (Goof Off and some carburetor cleaners) or high-purity isopropyl alcohol. If you use Goof off or xylene based cleaners always follow up with a cleaning of high-purity isopropyl alcohol afterwards.

NEVER use any oil or petroleum based cleaners

High purity isopropyl alcohol likely means 91-99%

I didn't spread it around since the cpu core is in the center of the heatspreader and only 1/4 of the area.  Once the bond between the cpu heat spreader and the (aluminum or copper) heatsink is broken you will need to reapply the paste or face higher temps as I saw.  Also remember the job of the paste is to make an air tight bond, and the distance between the heat spreader and heatsink is thinner then the width of a human hair.

I didn't spread it around since the cpu core is in the center of the heatspreader and only 1/4 of the area.  Once the bond between the cpu heat spreader and the (aluminum or copper) heatsink is broken you will need to reapply the paste or face higher temps as I saw.  Also remember the job of the paste is to make an air tight bond, and the distance between the heat spreader and heatsink is thinner then the width of a human hair.

Your suppose to spread it around. That entire surface gets very hot. And if you don't spread it around then it doesn't fill in the voids in the metal. The thermal paste is designed to transfer heat from one peace of metal to another by filling in the voids and getting perfect contact

My motherboard clamps down the heatsink with 2-4 lbs of force on the cpu, so the paste was squezed toward the edges.

If that happened then you are getting high and low spots which is bad. It should not be squeezed towards the edges. If it is squeezing past to the edges that means you have way too much force on that motherboard.

There should be almost no force put on the CPU, The heatsink should be almost just resting on there, thats why you use thermal paste so it fill in the gap, you don't smash it down like your doing there.

Personally I won't put the silver on anything,  I use the white,  I have heard the silver, (although never did a continuity test)  was conductive.  eeeeeeK  !

I just don't care for how greasy nasty , and difficult the silver seems to be. It spreads forever, and is a pain to be sure there is none anywhere you don't want it.  Just my opinion.

I have not yet bought any parts. Just pokeing around looking, thinking. This is what my current game plan is.

Gonna replace my 80 mm rear fan with 120mm fan. I may open the back up more to allow for greater air flow. Cut a hole in the back and put it there. Use a whole saw to get a wide open hole, again greater air flow.

Use the 80 mm fan I am replacing and put it in the front of the tower.

THINKING about replacing my cpu fan and heat sink. I may put in the 120 mm fan, Put the 80mm in the front and see how my temps are. Just not real sure a new cpu fan and heat sink is needed and may be a bit of overkill.

Thought about luquid cooling my system, I am just not sold on that. I don't overclock so I just dont think its needed. Stay tuned and I will let you guys know how this turned out and how much my temps droped.

Personally I won't put the silver on anything,  I use the white,  I have heard the silver, (although never did a continuity test)  was conductive.  eeeeeeK  !

I just don't care for how greasy nasty , and difficult the silver seems to be. It spreads forever, and is a pain to be sure there is none anywhere you don't want it.  Just my opinion.

i'm not a big fan of arctic silver as well. I prefer the thermal pad. The problem with the silver is it breaks down over time, it takes about 2 weeks to get fully active, but then starts to break down after that.

i would get the heatsink you picked out ninjageek and keep the thermal pad. they are much less hassle.

Ok, thermal pad?? Does that mean no grease needed?? Sorry when it comes to this im clueless. If I decide NOT to replace the fan and heat sink can I get a thermal pad for what I already have??

You probably already have a thermal pad on it. That has become the standard because the are easy you don't have to do anything.

That new heat sink you picked out has a thermal pad on it already.

I will throw my 2 cents into the jar..  I have done this a few times to athlon xp processors before..  I always remove the pad with nail polish remover and a cue tip..  The get a damp lint free cloth take off any excess nail polish remover..  Let the heat sink dry..  The apply about a grain of rice to the surface of the heat sink and with an old hotel key spread it over the top.  This fills in the cracks.  The apply some to the top of the processor die and clamp into place.  I have always used artic's composit compound not the silver..  There were issues where the silver could short the processor if any got on the PCB. 

Well this is what I did. I went and bought a 120 mm fan for exaust in the back. I have a aspire case and I took off that plastic tunnel and put the 80 mm fan in its place.

At idle, 30 c with a load (playing half life 2) About 45 c. Considering what I had before thats a drop of about 10 c. So it apears unless someone else speaks up, that new paste for the cpu is not gonna be needed. I have googled the heck out of it. Amd says with my processor amd64 4200 the max is 72 c for heat. Honestly, I just don't know what is considerd norm for this processor? I have hunted and searched and found nothing. Anyone give me a clue with stock cooling what the norm should be? Thank you very much guys and gals.

i work at a restaurant/hotel. and the hotel guests have to give their keys back ..yes i do mean the card keys like your talking about.

What kind of BS is that. Every hotel that I have stayed I was never asked to give the keys back, and ive stayed at a lot of hotels. They make great tools.

What kind of BS is that. Every hotel that I have stayed I was never asked to give the keys back, and ive stayed at a lot of hotels. They make great tools.

hahahahaa,  you never read the info they give you in that packet w/ your keys, that great, lol, it says " please leave keys in room , or return to front desk " or something like that  ,  I keep them when I wanna remember the visit, but other than that I leavem on whatever flat spot they happen to hit. Besides , they just program them for the time you paid for anyway, there no good after that . unless they reprogram them lol

Back on topic,  Ninja, I think you'll be ok, if you do.  I mean if it's within the AMD specs, then leave it, if your worried, redo it,  just relax, and enjoy what your doing, and don't skip any steps, take it slow, and do it like it was your processor , wait it its  :)

If your cpu is rated for 72 degrees and your getting up to 50 degrees, that sounds fine to me. Do you have a log file to see what the max temp was during gameplay?  Did the cpu come with a maximum recomended ambient temp? 

I know its a totally different processor but my P4 came with a paper specificing max ambient 38c, and max core 70c.  The ambient sensor reports 34c, while idle 43c core, 58c load.  My P4 is a monster heat producer and requires a heatsink rated at 89 watts of thermal energy.  For comparison your cpu needs to be able to disapate 65 watts of thermal energy.  (I might be using the wrong lingo so here is a link)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_Design_Power

I at first was using my temp guage that is on my computer tower to mesure tempature. I went ahead and downloaded pc probe. Both are pretty close to the same when showing temp plus or minus 5 c points. I also gave another program I believe called fan speed a shot. Both programs showed the exact same temp. So I just kept pc probe. I prefer that program.

WIth using my guage on my tower as a guide. WIth the 120 mm fan installed. And replacing the plastic cone with a 80 mm fan, I am getting roughfly a 10 celcius cooler. I have another Idea or 2 I want to try, See what kind of cooling affect it has either positive or negitive. It apears that all is well for cooling. So I am forsure gonna leave my cpu heat sink and fan alone. I thank all you guys and gals for your help and imput much apreciated.