thermal paste questions.....

ninjageek

LOL , I just use a strip cut off an old credit card , (got lots of them  :o )

otherwise I go along with swimmer on that , get the layer as thin as possible , without any voids in the surface , duh, I still use the silver,

the white silicon grease gave me higher temps. by about 10 F ,

and never had any problem , but I hve only done about 30 so far , the bit that scares me is getting the heatsink clips on , there has got to be a better way than that ?

Well over the last few days I sure learned tons. Think I could better offer someone a small bit of advice on cooling. This is what I think about it.

1. Liquid cooling looks cool, but unless you overclock really over kill imho.

2. Overclocking, you will not notice that big of diffrence, By the time you pay for liquid cooling it would be cheeper and better just to upgrage your mobo and cpu.

3. If and when the pump goes out of your liquid cooling, you will not notice unless you pay attention to your temps mostly. And really, it is liquid, do you want that Inside your computer?? I don't.

4. To drop the temps for your cpu. Clean out the dust from the heatsink. DONOT remove the heatsind from the cpu. Use old toothbrush to clean the fans and heatsink, air will just force the dust further down the heatsink.

5. Put a nice 120 mm fan for exaust in the back of your case. Doing this droped my temps 10 C. Pick up a nice one for 15.00 and you want the cfm of the fan (cubic feet a minute) around 80. Put another one in the very top of your case. Heat rises. This will remove even more heat from the tower.

6. 80 mm fans are nice but really just look cool imho, Replace when you can with the 120 mm. Thoes bad boys move some air and pretty quiet.

7.  Replacing the heatsink and fan, unless your fan died, really not necessiary. Clean out the heatsink, put the 120s one in the back one in the top of your tower. 30.00 bucks and a bit of effort, is your best bet. Just my 2 cents from my own personal experience and LOTS of googling.  :lol:

Hmmm, good advice ninjageek , I feel the same way about your #2,

with the addition,look at the the air imput to the case ,

as  cool air is at a low level and most towers have slots for air intake near the lower front of the case and provision for air intake there, and a possible fan mounting , (set to pump air in ) and a pre filter can be fitted to stop the inevitable dust coming in ,

IMHO , no amount of exhaust fans will compensate for poor/negligible air intake  ,

just think of air flow , cold in low . out high is  hot, let the thermal dynamics work for you ,