Which laptop?

Bird Fan

All right, I'm due for a new laptop. I've got a few choices, but I really don't want to get anything other than a Dell, Sony or Toshiba.

I've got two Toshiba's in mind and a Sony and haven't looked at Dells yet because they're my last choice

AMD Toshiba

I like it because of the 160 gb hard drive which is faster than a 200 gb and I really don't need the extra 40 gb if it's going to be slower. And it's also cheaper -

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Toshiba-Satellite-A215-S4697-15-4-Widescreen-Laptop-Computer-A215-S4697/sem/rpsm/oid/185073/catOid/-12963/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Intel Toshiba

The extra 40 gb might be useful, but do I really need 2 gig of RAM

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/productDetail.do?oid=185074#proddesc

I guess the ultimate question between those two is processors.

Is the AMD Turion 64 processor better or just as good as the Core 2 Duo?

Also, Sony Vaio

Don't like it much, but it's a thought

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sony-VAIO-VGNNR160ES-15-4-Laptop-Computer-VGN-NR160E-S/sem/rpsm/oid/192560/catOid/-12963/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Anyway, most importantly, I need something to last me 3-4 years.

Thanks, your help is appreciated.

I know you want other, but allow me to make a suggestion?

apple.com

:iamwithstupid:

But if not, stay away from the sony, and the AMD toshiba. The core 2 duo is by far the best processor in a notebook the AMD Turion 64 its total crap.

The 2GB of ram is a must. Vista just isnt very good with 1GB.

Don't really count on getting 3 - 4 years out of just about any sub $1000 notebook these days. You could probably count on 2 years. It will likely break after that. But notebooks are getting so cheap one every 2 years isnt bad

EDIT: the intel toshiba also has N wireless which is a very nice extra.

I know you want other, but allow me to make a suggestion?

apple.com

I've thought about it. Maybe

So I'm getting mixed responses.

Here's what I'll be doing:

- No games

- Heavy browsing

- Photoshop / other Adobe programs

- Word processing

- Some video conversion

My gut says to go for the Intel (just because I know nothing about AMD), but I just wish I could customize it and give myself the 160 gb hard drive.

I've thought about it. Maybe

So I'm getting mixed responses.

Here's what I'll be doing:

- No games

- Heavy browsing

- Photoshop / other Adobe programs

- Word processing

- Some video conversion

My gut says to go for the Intel (just because I know nothing about AMD), but I just wish I could customize it and give myself the 160 gb hard drive.

Get a Mac. Everything you want to do is perfect for a Mac.

The problem with the AMD toshiba is the AMD processor, there mobile stuff is total crap when compaied to intel, they are far slower in every way, and they are not even close in the efficiency department.

The mac would be perfect for you. Photoshop CS3 is a dream on the Mac. As well if you get into video final cut pro is just awesome.

Get a Mac. Everything you want to do is perfect for a Mac.

The problem with the AMD toshiba is the AMD processor, there mobile stuff is total crap when compaied to intel, they are far slower in every way, and they are not even close in the efficiency department.

The mac would be perfect for you. Photoshop CS3 is a dream on the Mac. As well if you get into video final cut pro is just awesome.

You think?

If I got a Mac I wouldn't have to mess around with getting Microsoft Office, which I would be downloading illegally anyway.

What Mac should I get? MacBook, or MacBook Pro?

I don't want to spend too much over $1,000

Well the macbook starts at 1099.00  Imagine that :), dude I'm typin on a 2 year old iBook, It screams ,@1.3, just as fast as my 3200 AMD , or my 2.8 intel, and has no issues,  Look, the new os Leoprd is commin out friday, I don't have to speak for it, it speaks for itself. Stable , and fun.

You think?

If I got a Mac I wouldn't have to mess around with getting Microsoft Office, which I would be downloading illegally anyway.

What Mac should I get? MacBook, or MacBook Pro?

I don't want to spend too much over $1,000

$1000 isnt really enough right now. After Friday IDK there are some saying there is going to be a new much cheaper macbook, but its not definite.

right this second go with the intel toshiba you got there its a really good notebook for the price. If they do come out with new macbooks for around $800 or so with the leopard launch then i would get that.

Well the macbook starts at 1099.00  Imagine that :), dude I'm typin on a 2 year old iBook, It screams ,@1.3, just as fast as my 3200 AMD , or my 2.8 intel, and has no issues,  Look, the new os Leoprd is commin out friday, I don't have to speak for it, it speaks for itself. Stable , and fun.

I'll look into it.

So far Dell has the best customizing and lowest price.

$1000 isnt really enough right now. After Friday IDK there are some saying there is going to be a new much cheaper macbook, but its not definite.

Any news of Apple coming out with the cheaper MacBook?

I know it's only Friday, but I'm getting excited and tired of waiting..

• 1 month later...

wow 2000 dollars that must be top of the line we went shopping (me my mom and my moms sister) and got a Dell something but it was pretty top of the line (2GB of ram ) and i don't remember the rest of the specs but it was $388  :wink: oh ya and it had Vista HE :cheesy:

I'm scared that you never replied to my answer.

Which do you prefer, matte or glossy?

It depends where I am. at home, i prefer glossy, And for most things glossy is better because colors look better At work i prefer matte because i don't want all of the overhead lights reflecting on my screen. 

It depends where I am. at home, i prefer glossy, And for most things glossy is better because colors look better At work i prefer matte because i don't want all of the overhead lights reflecting on my screen. 

I see. I'll be using it mostly at home.

I've read that while glare is a problem, glossy is better when outdoors.

Also, apparently glossy causes more strain on the eyes? But whenever my eyes get strained, I realize I've wasted too much time on the computer.