Which laptop?

Bird Fan

a 15 inch mac starts at about $2,000, over twice your budget. Look at the stats in my sig, i got that for $1,100.

Also included was an integrated webcam, dvd burner, 1440x900 glossy screen, and 120GB hard drive. Adding on my beefy 256MB video card was $200 of the $1,100 my laptop costs. Nowadays even if you aren't gaming, just because of Vista's interface, i recommend you get the 128MB video card with your dell(i just looked and the 128mb video card is mandatory on dell laptops now), so that means you could get what i have with a decent video card for $1,000 which is right at your budget.

Also since dell's prices have gone down since i bought mines(I just looked, what i bought for $1,100 is now $1,000), and also because i paid extra to get vista business, you will have even more money left in your budget to get lets say integrated blue tooth, bigger hard drive, or a bigger battery for extra battery life.

EDIT: I see you just bought a MAC, hope you are happy with it. But i have to say, I wouldn't buy a MAC unless i worked in video or picture editing. Yeah i heard it runs PS well and everything but its not like i'm loosing that much by running PS on my dell. Basically, the amount of things you loose by switching to a MAC don't make up for a performance boost in PS and some other graphics software. The way i see it, other than graphic editing wise, a PC can do everything a MAC can do, but a MAC can't do everything a PC can do.

I see. I'll be using it mostly at home.

I've read that while glare is a problem, glossy is better when outdoors.

Also, apparently glossy causes more strain on the eyes? But whenever my eyes get strained, I realize I've wasted too much time on the computer.

Glossy is much better outdoors. It will only cause eye strain when there is glair on the display.

The way i see it, other than graphic editing wise, a PC can do everything a MAC can do, but a MAC can't do everything a PC can do.

Actually the mac can do alot more then the PC can. Mac's can run windows apps, and linux apps right along side mac apps at full speed in OS X. And some of them can be done with out even starting windows. And OS X is fully unix, and don't forget core animation, core audio, and core video Just some stuff that makes the apps look absolute beautiful.  Just a few things to as why they are the best selling laptops

Just a few things to as why they are the best selling laptops

On the worldwide scale for notebooks, HP has 21.4% market share, Acer 16.2%, Dell 13.8%, Toshiba 9.1%, Lenovo 8.9%, Sony 5.6%, Fujitsu-Siemens 4.7%, Apple 4.6% and Asus 4.2%. This is as of Dec 3, 2007 according to DisplaySearch an NPD company.

Apple did grow 36% but their market share is so small, 36% is not significant. The most expensive laptop can't be the best selling. I believe they would catch up if they found a way to lower their prices. Honestly the only reason why people even like their laptops is becaue of how thin they are and how much style they have. At my university the only people i see with Macs are rich kids wearing uggz or driving BMW's. But for someone like me who is into computers a Mac is not an option. I wouldn't mind having a Macbook to travel with because i could bear that but there is no way in hell i would buy a mac desktop.

Mac's can run windows apps....

yeah like all the games right....

and unless u are in graphic editing, theres no reason to run mac apps cus everyone knows safari and itunes suck. ichat is pretty good tho.

a 15 inch mac starts at about $2,000, over twice your budget. Look at the stats in my sig, i got that for $1,100.

That was my original budget.

But since it's the last computer my parents will ever buy for me, I went ahead and made sure I could squeeze out as much as I could.

Again, I don't play games so what advantage does Windows being able to play more games?

Why do I give a fuck about that?

And I do plenty of editing in Photoshop.

I have a Dell. It was $1000.

Hard drive died after half a year.

Screen broke.

Now the hinges have fallen apart and the backlight has shut off.

I'm not buying another Dell, period.

My brother's $1700 Dell has done the same thing (hinges).

And Vista..... sucks.

so why would I stick with XP when I want to upgrade?

yeah like all the games right....

and unless u are in graphic editing, theres no reason to run mac apps cus everyone knows safari and itunes suck. ichat is pretty good tho.

To help your argument, why not list the games that don't work? Good idea hmm?

Safari isn't my cup of tea, but I like iTunes.

I'll be using Adium instead of iChat, most likely.

The stuff about gaming was just side stuff. If u notice i said that since u could buy a pc laptop with out a video card it would be even cheaper. I like macs and all and owned one for a long period of time but like itunes for u, macs just "aren't my cup of tea," but i just saw ur budget was $1,000 and the toshiba's u showed us were around $800 and i knew u couldnt get a mac for that so what else do u expect me to recommend. If you got money like that, the mac isn't a bad choice at all, i'm sure u will be happy with it. Profanity was uncalled for.

The stuff about gaming was just side stuff. If u notice i said that since u could buy a pc laptop with out a video card it would be even cheaper. I like macs and all and owned one for a long period of time but like itunes for u, macs just "aren't my cup of tea," but i just saw ur budget was $1,000 and the toshiba's u showed us were around $800 and i knew u couldnt get a mac for that so what else do u expect me to recommend. If you got money like that, the mac isn't a bad choice at all, i'm sure u will be happy with it. Profanity was uncalled for.

Safari... I like iTunes.

That's beside the point, I'm not buying a Mac because of the Apple software bundled with it. The easiest way to explain it would be: I'm jumping on the bandwagon. Sue me.

It wasn't really a budget per say. Much more like a goal.

I'll choose a different word next time.

And I italicized word because that's just what it was. but that's a different argument.