Graphics card question

willy614

Hi,

I currently have an 8600GT video card and wanted to upgrade to the 8800GTS. However my friend thinks that, because I have a pre-built compaq computer (with a few upgrades) that I will not see much performance increase. Anyone know if this is true? I dont want to end up wasting my money on the 8800.

thanks

specs:

3.2 GHz P4

2GB RAM

500 Watt power supply with 36 volts on dual +12v rails

Windows Vista

btw welcome to TMN. enjoy your stay man. 

idk what your talking about, but i think you mean socket types.... yeah get a LGA 775 socket type...i may be wrong but i think thats what all core 2 duos are...

Thanks,

What I mean is, theres Conroe and Allendale

I was looking at getting this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115029

Just ordered it, while cringing as my bank account gets smaller  :cry: , but i am sure it will be worth it. Now, I am probally going to wait a month or 2 to get the 8800, maybe christmas

:haha: :haha: that tends to happen.

thats cool. i just got my amd athlon 64 x2 5600+ from newegg...thats the best place to shop for pc parts...i built my whole pc from parts there.

I always order from newegg for all my PC parts. And even all my movies. They are the best

You said you were going to wait till Christmas time to buy the card which is probably a good idea because then you will be able to get the new 8800 GT card that nvidia is coming out with Nov 19th. It outperforms the 8800 GTS by a good amount and word on the street is it should only cost $250 for the 512 mb memory version!

Hey willy just my two cents... If you're going to upgrade a video card to that magnitude, I'd consider your cpu upgrade to be at 3.0 or higher. Anything below 3 is going to start falling behind very soon unfortunately ;(

No its not. Intel only has a handful of processors that go over 3.0Ghz now. Intels new tigerton xeon goes from 1.60Ghz to just under 3Ghz and the 3Ghz is not much faster then the 1.60Ghz.

are you talkning about his cpu chipset? and a 3 isnt faster than a 1.6 eh, are they exact same system setups? same chipset? actually almost 50% of 775 chipset cores hit 3 and up, and of the other 50% youre looking at maybe 20% of those being able to OC to 3. so buying in the 1 range doesnt seem effective to me is all.

actually its 15 out of about 60 that are 3 and higher, but in 6 months it'll look different lol.

No it won't.  Chip design and performance isn't based on higher clock speeds anymore.  Its becoming more about bandwidth, number of cores, throughput, and lower temps.