Motherboard and operating system

biker9075

Hi guys,

You may have remembered a few months back i got a compaq computer for an insanely cheap price. Well, i've done some upgrading and just ordered a new motherboard and processor. I will be keeping the same hard drive, but i've heard that the operating system will only work on the motherboard it was activated on. Is this true?

Thanks

Nope. Not true at all. Just make sure that the motherboard supports the type of connection the hard-drive uses (Probably IDE).

"... but i've heard that the operating system will only work on the motherboard it was activated on."

That makes me giggle like a little school girl, I'm sorry!

Guest ExtremeFusion

Hi guys,

You may have remembered a few months back i got a compaq computer for an insanely cheap price. Well, i've done some upgrading and just ordered a new motherboard and processor. I will be keeping the same hard drive, but i've heard that the operating system will only work on the motherboard it was activated on. Is this true?

Thanks

If you are planning to use your old hard drive to your new mobo...

Its ok as long as your old mobo is ATA/IDE and your new one supports ATA/IDE

BUT

If what you are trying to say is...

You will use your old hard drive then plug it to your new mobo (without even formatting, whatsoever, thinking that what is installed in your hard disk will work when you try to connectit to your new mobo) this will not work.. Gets

It depends on how different this new motherboard is.  You may be able to hook it up, but that doesn't automatically mean that windows will load onto the machine without reinstalling.  This is especially true if going to a completely different brand, chipset, etc.    Make sure you back everything up that you intend to keep before trying this.

Are you putting this new equipment in the same case as well?

It depends on how different this new motherboard is.  You may be able to hook it up, but that doesn't automatically mean that windows will load onto the machine without reinstalling.  This is especially true if going to a completely different brand, chipset, etc.    Make sure you back everything up that you intend to keep before trying this.

No, I have also bought a new case because I wanted an ATX size instead of micro-atx. The motherboard I have now is:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813135051&Tpk=945gct

And the motherboard that I am upgrading to is:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813127031

I also have disks from compaq that would reinstall the entire operating system  if need be. Which isnt a problem, I just dont want to have to end up ordering Vista

Guest ExtremeFusion

No, I have also bought a new case because I wanted an ATX size instead of micro-atx. The motherboard I have now is:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813135051&Tpk=945gct

And the motherboard that I am upgrading to is:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813127031

I also have disks from compaq that would reinstall the entire operating system  if need be. Which isnt a problem, I just dont want to have to end up ordering Vista

If that is the case that you want to reformat, if ever needed...

The hard disk will work providing that they are (Mobo) have the same connector or channel (Primary, Secondary), Identical to your hard disk...

e.g. If your Hard disk is a ATA/IDE your Mobo should support ATA/IDE

there is some truth to this, the OS will work, but you will have to reactive windows again.

@ dlewis23

Hmmmm... I'm not sure... Have you tried this before or encountered it perhaps?

My Experience is

When I tried to connect my unreformatted (meaning it still has installations of windows, and eveyrthing on it) hard disk

to my new mobo it didn't execute the OS properly, I even tried Safe Mode but none have work...

I can see the Boot Screen but It can't continue further to make it even on the logON screen/welcome Screen

The reason I think is that,

My previous Board is an Intel

then my new one is MSI

In short say, totally different chipsets from my old board...

Well Said!

Those disks wll only work on a Compaq manufactured computer.  If you tried to use them with the new motherboard, you'd be out of luck.

Even if you put the same exact board in you would have to reactivate (unless it was a dell, HP, etc.) windows checks a few numbers that would be unique to each board if they don't match up it knows you have a new part and makes you reactivate when there is that big of a change.

@ dlewis23

Hmmmm... I'm not sure... Have you tried this before or encountered it perhaps?

My Experience is

When I tried to connect my unreformatted (meaning it still has installations of windows, and eveyrthing on it) hard disk

to my new mobo it didn't execute the OS properly, I even tried Safe Mode but none have work...

I can see the Boot Screen but It can't continue further to make it even on the logON screen/welcome Screen

I am 100% sure this happens because ive had it happen to me probably 12 times. When you change a number of components in a system windows makes you reactive. you can add more ram and wont make you reactivate, but if you add ram and a video card it may make you reactivate. When you make a substantial change to the system windows has you reactivate.

the reason windows didn't work for you is because it doesn't have any drives for anything on the new motherboard. I have had it were it works sometimes when i change a mobo, but others it doesn't work.

I never recommend anyone swap a motherboard and not reformat. its pretty stupid not to, windows just doesn't work right after.

But, if I reformat, wont that wipe out the entire hard drive, including the OS? And I don't have the retail DVD's. Just compaq recovery disks

yes. and your compaq recovery disks are probably not going to work with the new motherboard unless its a compaq/hp branded motherboard

I just got done installing the motherboard, processor, heatsink, ram, and video card, thinking I would be able to access the bios to see if the cpu installed correctly, but all the does is beep at me and there is no display. Is this just because the hard drive wasnt hooked up you think?

Guest ExtremeFusion

Even if you put the same exact board in you would have to reactivate (unless it was a dell, HP, etc.) windows checks a few numbers that would be unique to each board if they don't match up it knows you have a new part and makes you reactivate when there is that big of a change.

I am 100% sure this happens because ive had it happen to me probably 12 times. When you change a number of components in a system windows makes you reactive. you can add more ram and wont make you reactivate, but if you add ram and a video card it may make you reactivate. When you make a substantial change to the system windows has you reactivate.

the reason windows didn't work for you is because it doesn't have any drives for anything on the new motherboard. I have had it were it works sometimes when i change a mobo, but others it doesn't work.

I never recommend anyone swap a motherboard and not reformat. its pretty stupid not to, windows just doesn't work right after.

right..  :azn: