Multi-Issue problem, started with BSOD

akuyume

This morning when I came to boot my Windows XP (Media Center 2005) PC I got a BSOD suggesting my hard drive had become corrupt.  I popped in my OS disk and proceeded to the repair console and ran chkdsk. Nothing too far out of the ordinary for me, I've been using Windows for over a decade...  By the way, after I completed running chkdsk it informed me it had repaired a number of sectors.

After I managed to boot back into Windows, I found a plethora of issues many of which I've never seen before let alone fixed. 

For starters, I have no programs being listed on my taskbar, yet I can still use [Alt]+[Tab].  Next up, I noticed my entire network connections menu was empty, yet I did a ping test and realized my Internet connection is working.  Thus I proceeded to my device manager, where I noticed that my extended services menu is COMPLETELY blank.  I switched over to the Standard tab of my services only to find [nearly] all of my services not running despite being set to automatic start. When I attempted to manually start them, I was kindly informed by Redmond's OS that it had encountered "Error 5:  Access is denied." Prior to this BSOD my account (the only account in normal Windows mode) was the admin, however I was unable to confirm that it still is as my Users menu loads blank.  Not to mention, everything in general seems to be running just slow. 

As of now I'm running my AV (any virus writer who would go to this length would definitely be an idiot, I'm not thinking that's my problem) and from there I'll probably give Safe Mode a shot and then attempt a Windows installation repair. But of course, I'm calling it now that this won't be very fruitful thus I've immediately turned here to community that I assume to be knowledgeable and I know to quick responding.

Now for the forbidden phrase in tech help: HELP, PLEASE!  :buck2:

Its has been a little louder than usual. However, it is working right now.  My guess would be I got the bad sectors last night, the power went out when I was trying to boot, and I had just passed the Windows loading screen, still waiting at the Welcome screen.

All of my files appear to be intact as well, except for whatever changes might have caused these odd behaviors.