ratchet

Almost 60 yr old here.  Need you smart youngons for advice!  lol

Thank You, ratchet!

Main Circuit Board Board

Board: Dell Computer Corp. 0G1548 A00

Serial Number: ..CN7082144SG0J4.

Bus Clock: 533 megahertz

BIOS: Dell Computer Corporation A05 12/02/2003

From what I gather my board may not accept PCI Ex and this is just PCI so it might work.

http://www.freeafterrebate.info/deal/3d-fuzion-geforce-mx-4000-pci-graphics-card-with-128mb-ddr-memory

It's a Dimension 2400.  I have 1G of RAM and:

2.80 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4

8 kilobyte primary memory cache

512 kilobyte secondary memory cache

The graphics is just built in to the Intel chip.  Since this upgrade would be free and I don't intend on getting a new pc for a while it seems like it would be a good move.

Thank you, looks like it would fit!  Next question is, assuming I don't screw something up, since this upgrade is essentially free, should I do it?  I have no great graphics plans like installing vista or anything, I'm just thinking it would be fun to do.

yeah, as a freebie give it a whirl , and you may be able to disable the intergrated  graphics in the Bios  and free up some memory , it was a good card in it's day , anyway you have no AGP or Pci-E slot on that board , so it is a good option , especially for free , I would buy 2 at that price , (free)

just my opinion , and the usuall disclaimer etc ,

Once again, thank you for the replies.  Also, Roco are you saying two would/could improve performance over one?

Oh, sorry I should have explained more , you could use 2 with 2 monitors ,

but what I meant to say was , if they were free I would buy ? 2 , and keep one as a spare, or for a second computer , as I got lots of earlier computers given to me ,and those Pci cards have got to be better than integrated graphics built into the motherboard , as they rob memory from the computer , but I see in your case you have 1Gb of ram , so not a problem on that for you ,

I would expect to see better quality output from the Pci graphics card and may be a slight improvement in performance , it the card was costing money I would sugest leaving things be , but for free ? go for it   :icon_thumright:

if you do go this route ratchet , post back and let us know the results ? ,

even at

Oh, sorry I should have explained more , you could use 2 with 2 monitors ,

but what I meant to say was , if they were free I would buy ? 2 , and keep one as a spare, or for a second computer , as I got lots of earlier computers given to me ,and those Pci cards have got to be better than integrated graphics built into the motherboard , as they rob memory from the computer , but I see in your case you have 1GB of ram , so not a problem on that for you ,

I would expect to see better quality output from the Pci graphics card and may be a slight improvement in performance , it the card was costing money I would sugest leaving things be , but for free ? go for it  :icon_thumright:

if you do go this route ratchet , post back and let us know the results ? ,

even at