New "BPL" Broadband Over Powerline has Arrived

junkieXL

I read a small bit of news in the NYTimes, the much-anticipated broadband service running on the huge fat copper lines of Mr.Edison is now being test-marketed...sadly, the supposedly unbelievable speed it was expected to deliver, is quite average these days ...

"US-based Cinergy Broadband

are to offer broadband over power line (BPL) services in the greater Cincinnati, Ohio area. Reaching a maximum in of 1.5 megabits

per second and a steady average speed of 300-900 kilobits per second."

No thanks, we will stick with RCN :twisted:

-junkieXL

I read a small bit of news in the NYTimes, the much-anticipated broadband service running on the huge fat copper lines of Mr.Edison is now being test-marketed...sadly, the supposedly unbelievable speed it was expected to deliver, is quite average these days ...

"US-based Cinergy Broadband

are to offer broadband over power line (BPL) services in the greater Cincinnati, Ohio area. Reaching a maximum in of 1.5 megabits

per second and a steady average speed of 300-900 kilobits per second."

No thanks, we will stick with RCN :twisted:

-junkieXL

what a waste..... Hmm....It seems that ethernet is the only secure networking method.

I hope your not implying that ethernet is data secure. Maybe in it's use of speed on networks but surely you don't mean data security. Either way the post topic is about speed and yes your correct in that burst of up to 1.5Mbps is avg these days and surely not worth the avg of 300-900Kbps your reading about.

My DSL was just ramped up to 1.5Mbps down and 1.0Mbps up and it's only costing me $40/mo. (US). Can't complain too much about that. In fact I switched to this DSL from my Cable which was 3.0Mbps down and only 300Kbps up. Upload is what I'm after and that's why I switched. On that note I have noticed a slight decrease in speed when dl'ing files but as we all know (or should know) your only as good as your "slowest" connection so that's probably why I haven't seen a huge decrease in dl speed. Now if I catch a fat pipe that I dl from then yeah I'll suffer alittle bit but those are the rare cases. I still avg about 150K dl speed which is slightly lower than my cable speed I was getting.

WOW how did I just start babbling on about all this...Oh well...it's my $.02 anyways.

RoGuEDoGg

what a waste..... Hmm....It seems that ethernet is the only secure networking method.

I hope your not implying that ethernet is data secure. Maybe in it's use of speed on networks but surely you don't mean data security. Either way the post topic is about speed and yes your correct in that burst of up to 1.5Mbps is avg these days and surely not worth the avg of 300-900Kbps your reading about.

My DSL was just ramped up to 1.5Mbps down and 1.0Mbps up and it's only costing me $40/mo. (US). Can't complain too much about that. In fact I switched to this DSL from my Cable which was 3.0Mbps down and only 300Kbps up. Upload is what I'm after and that's why I switched. On that note I have noticed a slight decrease in speed when dl'ing files but as we all know (or should know) your only as good as your "slowest" connection so that's probably why I haven't seen a huge decrease in dl speed. Now if I catch a fat pipe that I dl from then yeah I'll suffer alittle bit but those are the rare cases. I still avg about 150K dl speed which is slightly lower than my cable speed I was getting.

WOW how did I just start babbling on about all this...Oh well...it's my $.02 anyways.

RoGuEDoGg

RoGuEDoGg

RoGuEDoGg

RoGuEDoGg

I said it was a waste because who would pay $40 per month for something that bursts at 1.5 and had a dependable speed of 300-900kbs? The stupid phone companies offer better dsl packages for less. :lol: I dont know about you but i will kill myself before paying $40 for a 300kbs connection. Also the test are running in very populated areas. Most likely there are other mediums for broadband available.

The other comment is about data security.... Well I do have to disagree with you on the security of the network. Ethernet is the most secure... You dont have access to it if A.) you plug into the netowork itself or B.) you hack through the security features. On the other hand there is electical networking.... Now that is like having you internet and network on the same line. Just think of the hay day the hackers would have with the people that have a electrical networks.... You have direct access to their internet and their network!!! NO FIRE WALL....NOTHING. They could just sit there and watch packets come back and forth all day and the users would never even know it. :cry: Wireless is also plagued by this same problem, somewhat... You can get wireless internet access and have a wireless network. However i believe that they operate on different frequencies... That is why fortune 500 companies have been so slow at adapting wireless technology until recently. Now they have better security and they can some what control who sees the signal. Unless you dont have your network connected to the internet you are not totally secure. However, I see fewer security problems with ethernet than wireless or electrical networking.

I said it was a waste because who would pay $40 per month for something that bursts at 1.5 and had a dependable speed of 300-900kbs? The stupid phone companies offer better dsl packages for less. :lol: I dont know about you but i will kill myself before paying $40 for a 300kbs connection. Also the test are running in very populated areas. Most likely there are other mediums for broadband available.

The other comment is about data security.... Well I do have to disagree with you on the security of the network. Ethernet is the most secure... You dont have access to it if A.) you plug into the netowork itself or B.) you hack through the security features. On the other hand there is electical networking.... Now that is like having you internet and network on the same line. Just think of the hay day the hackers would have with the people that have a electrical networks.... You have direct access to their internet and their network!!! NO FIRE WALL....NOTHING. They could just sit there and watch packets come back and forth all day and the users would never even know it. :cry: Wireless is also plagued by this same problem, somewhat... You can get wireless internet access and have a wireless network. However i believe that they operate on different frequencies... That is why fortune 500 companies have been so slow at adapting wireless technology until recently. Now they have better security and they can some what control who sees the signal. Unless you dont have your network connected to the internet you are not totally secure. However, I see fewer security problems with ethernet than wireless or electrical networking.