Any Mac guys out there

tstillery

woundering if i was going to buy a mac laptop which one is a good one i want aleast a 17" screen  i belive ...never i have i own a Mac ..so i really dont know ..well right now they seem to be all Intell so can i run a dual boot ? still want to play my games and i want to use it as a media center for the home store all me dvds music and pics on a externale hhd and then just hook it up when am at home ..will use it for work alot all so .so would office work on it?

God  did you read that ....lol. sorry but i anit re typing...any help would be great

HOOAH

out tstillery

Wondering if I was going to buy a mac laptop which one is a good one i want at least a 17" screen  i believe ...never I have I owned a Mac ..so i really dont know ..well right now they seem to be all Intell so can i run a dual boot ? Still I want to play my games and I want to use it as a media center for the home store all me dvds, music, and pics on a external hhd and then just hook it up when I am at home ..will use it for work alot all so .so would office work on it?

God did you read that ....lol. sorry but i aint re typing...any help would be great

HOOAH

out tstillery

So does that mean you are back then?  :grin2:

Most likey ask or PM Dlewis.  :wink2:

woundering if i was going to buy a mac laptop which one is a good one i want aleast a 17" screen  i belive ...never i have i own a Mac ..so i really dont know ..well right now they seem to be all Intell so can i run a dual boot ? still want to play my games and i want to use it as a media center for the home store all me dvds music and pics on a externale hhd and then just hook it up when am at home ..will use it for work alot all so .so would office work on it?

God  did you read that ....lol. sorry but i anit re typing...any help would be great

HOOAH

out tstillery

So you will want a macbook pro then, thats the only 17in notebook they have. If you wanted one with the best screen get the 15.4" because they have the LED backlit display and the color reproduction is perfect.

There are a few ways to run windows on a mac, (one actually makes it the fastest windows notebook you can buy  :haha:) Their is bootcamp, parallels, and VM Ware Fusion. Bootcamp you have to reboot the computer to get into windows, but you get full benefit of the hardware so you would want to run your games in this.

Parallels and fusion allow you to run windows as you are running OS X. And it is actually extremely fast its hard to tell you are running a VM. You can't play games this way because you don't get the full benefit of the graphics card right now. They are getting better they do have some graphics card support but you still don't get the full card. I use parallels and love it because of the coherence mode which allows Windows apps to work right along with mac apps, and you can drag and drop files in between each OS.

You don't have to run media center, macs come with front row, and does all of media center (except TV) and does most of it better.

Office does work, there is already office 2004 for it, and 2008 is coming out for it very soon. But get iWork which is apples office with it. And its actually just as good if not better, and it reads and writes all MS office formats. I had to use excel alot and i switched to apples numbers (there excel) and no one can tell that i'm not using excel.

If you do go for the mac, you get a notebook that can run every app you want, and is secure, super fast, and looks damn good

There new OS 10.5 Leopard is quite possible the best OS ever, and just about everyone that uses it agrees.

And keep in mind once you get one mac you usually end up getting another one.  :evil6:

Mine is the 15.4 version, and it has great picture and color.  It is very light and then as well.  Mine only gripe is the 5400rpm hard drive, but at 120GB, it doesn't bother me that much....

Going to a 7200rpm drive in my macbook, actually didn't make a difference in performance. Didn't make it much hotter either.

Guest jeffwalker9999

could someone post links to freeware sites for mac os

and sites that are like 9down.com and related

as my niece just got an mac

and I myself am not a mac person

[email protected] is her email - directly

also - who do you set the netbios name on a mac

thanks

could someone post links to freeware sites for mac os

and sites that are like 9down.com and related

as my niece just got an mac

and I myself am not a mac person

[email protected] is her email - directly

also - who do you set the netbios name on a mac

thanks

http://www.versiontracker.com/macosx/ is probably the best for freeware. One thing that every mac user should install is flip4mac, so they can then play all the WMV videos around.

And you do not need to set a netbios on a mac

Guest jeffwalker9999

?? how do i do set the name of pc (netbios)

as it is only showing the ip in the router config

and the windows os pc's allow pc machine names

thanks

want the mac pc to show as a name in below >>>

Host Name  IP Address  MAC Address 

192.168.1.2   00-1c-b3-c1-xx-xx

jeffwalker9999   192.168.1.3       00-15-00-38-xx-xx

mshome-d236c004 192.168.1.6 00-18-e7-27-xx-xx

jeffwalker9999 i was thinking of something else

If its running leopard, and i think this also works for tiger (can't remember)

Go to system preferences, network, click the network card, then click advanced, and then click "wins" at the top.

If thats not there and you can't find it in the network section, ill look around for were it is in tiger.

Guest jeffwalker9999

jeffwalker9999 i was thinking of something else

If its running leopard, and i think this also works for tiger (can't remember)

Go to system preferences, network, click the network card, then click advanced, and then click "wins" at the top.

If thats not there and you can't find it in the network section, ill look around for were it is in tiger.

mac os10.4.10

again looking to set a name to display in the hosts

want the mac pc to show as a name in below >>>

Host Name    IP Address    MAC Address   

192.168.1.2      00-1c-b3-c1-xx-xx 

jeffwalker9999      192.168.1.3        00-15-00-38-xx-xx 

mshome-d236c004  192.168.1.6  00-18-e7-27-xx-xx

also freeware sites are seeked

thanks

OK ..so if i already own 2 laptops 1 is a Alienware 5150 .. i believe ? (i haven't seen it in a while) and it is a pretty kick ass  laptop  it has a T7600 pross and running windows xp ..will it run the mac OS with NP ? and i have a Toshiba x205-9359 which is a OK laptop and it has a T7300 which sucks balls ) pross will it run the mac OS ? and what about the hardware?

i was thinking about trying to sell them and buy a Mac ..so i don't know if it is better to run mac OS on one of these or just buy the mac pro since it was designed by mac to run mac

Hey Tommie nope I'm still here ...8 more months to go ...

you know Iraq is like pirated software and movie haven ...lol....and i can  buy just about anything from $2-$3 per disk and a lot of the disk have about 25-50 diff programs on them ...so I'm sure the new mac will be out in a few weeks lol NOT THAT I BUY ANY OF THESE DISK.... :angel:

so what would be the best road the go down a new mac or stay with what i have and install mac as a dual boot?

HOOAH

out tstillery