Strange Laptop problem

martylemoo

Hi,

I have rather a strange problem with my laptop. When i try to get web pages most of the time it works but sometimes it says it cannot find the page i have requested. All of the other pcs on the same network work perfectly so i know it is something to do with the laptop only. I am running firefox but i have the same problem with opera or IE6. It seems like the browser is not getting through to the network as there is no network activity lights when it is malfunctioning, yet turn the pc  off and back on and hey presto it usually works. The network is connected and fully functional as i can see all the opther pcs and get files from them, i can even download my email its just the browser. Does anyone have an answer for me, its really beginning to bug me.

Thanks

Martyn

Sorry, yes it is a wireless network running a D-link Di-624 Router and Airplus wireless cards. I cannot see that it is anything wrong with the hardware as i can sit an exact replica of my system next to it running on the same network and everything works fine. I thought maybe a virus so i have scanned with AVG and trend online and nothing is found. I am running XP Pro Sp2 by the way.

Thanks

Martyn

Ok.. when you are having problems try to ping the router, 192.168.0.1, Start->run-> cmd-> ping 192.168.0.1 .. If you are timing out and all of the other computer are working the it is on your end....  If that is the case then try download the latest drivers from dlink..  all of the revisions have updated drivers then the ones that they shipped with.. However, make sure you get the correct ones for the version of the card that you have!  Update the drivers and then restart... power cycle the router.. and then re do the ping test..  If that is still not working check to make sure that you dont have mac filtering on or WEP/WPA enabled...  The other thing is do a site survey with network stumbler and see if there is another wi-fi network that could be interfering.. if that is the case change the channel on yours to atleast 3 above or below.. so 1,3,6,9,11...

Thanks for the help. ok, update on the problem. I can ping my isp when the browser is not working i can also receive new email through thunderbird. I tried all of the available pc card drivers and it does the same with any of them. I tried an old11mb  sitecom card i have and that works fine so i now know it is the card. Could it be that the card is faulty or do you think i just need to sort out the software issue?

Cheers

Martyn

Have you tried to remove the card, uninstall the driver and any software, and then reinstall..  If you can ping and get email then it sounds like a browser problem.. try uninstalling firefox and then reinstall..  That is a really wierd problem!!  Have you ran a spyware check recently? 

Cheers  swimmer, it would seem the problem has been fixed after the third total installation of the card. I have done spyware checks with adaware, spybot and microsoft anti and i have none on this pc. God only knows what went wrong as it has been working fine for months. Must have been a software issue somewhere. I hope it has gone for good :D

Many thanks for all the help

Martyn