SMARTBRO user here..help about configuring router

nolram16

im a smartbro user. we have a WRT54G router and 1 PC. now i found out that when i tracert (any address) the result is not normal according to the senior member in the other forum(speedguide.net) heres the result.

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]

© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:Documents and SettingsEstipona Family>tracert smartbro.ph

Tracing route to smartbro.ph [72.51.36.133]

over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    1 ms    *      <1 ms  192.168.1.1

2    9 ms    *      14 ms  192.168.224.1

3    23 ms    *      16 ms  125.60.xxx.x

and so on...

this is not normal as what the senior member told me. he said that i have to set my router into bridge mode. i dont know what he's saying. so pls help me. when i done it correctly the result must be like this:

1 <1 ms <1ms <1ms 192.168.224.1

2 28 ms 28ms 28ms 125.60.xxx.xxx

3 29 ms 29ms 29ms 121.1.3.34

i dont know how to do that, even what is that address is all about. all i know is 192.168.224.1 is the address of our ISP. the 192.168.1.1 is the address of our linksys router(i believe).

can anyone tell me what is the problem in the settings of my router? what shall i do? i need your help. anyone.. i started to be bothered when i ask to someone if my ping is normal bcoz everytime i went to speedtest.net i always got high ping or ms from 800+ upto 999, i ask him if that is normal. then he told me that:

"You have two routers connected back to back at hop 1 and 2. IP addresses with the format 192.168.xx.xx are those of a router. This means your modem already has a router in it."

that is his reply..now i dont know what im gonna do. im not familiar about networking, im into programming only..PLS HELP..

• 3 months later...

dont worry.. ganito rin nakukuha ko, normal lang yan if you are using a router over a smartbro connection..

a router actually has 2 ip adds.. 1 private (lan) ip, 1 public (wan) ip..

the private ip is the one starting with 192.168.x.x

the public ip is the one visible sa internet like 125.60.x.x

the thing is.. your router actually connects to another router in a smartbro base station.. thus the observation of your friend na parang 2 routers back to back.

now

192.168.1.1 is the lan ip of your router

192.168.224.1 is the ip of base station router (im assuming taga quezon city ka rin kasi pareho tayo)

note that 192.168.x.x pa rin.. so you are just connecting to a bigger lan network

125.60.x.x is the wan ip / public ip of the base station router..

actually all users connected to the base station uses the same public ip. this saves smartbro much money.

actually ako nagtaka rin nung una bakit ganito lumalabas pag nag tracert ako. it is just a way pala para makatipid ang smart. unfortunately, this setup has many setbacks.. like you cant do remote access to your pc.

im a smartbro user. we have a WRT54G router and 1 PC. now i found out that when i tracert (any address) the result is not normal according to the senior member in the other forum(speedguide.net) heres the result.

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]

© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:Documents and SettingsEstipona Family>tracert smartbro.ph

Tracing route to smartbro.ph [72.51.36.133]

over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    1 ms    *      <1 ms  192.168.1.1

2    9 ms    *      14 ms  192.168.224.1

3    23 ms    *      16 ms  125.60.xxx.x

and so on...

this is not normal as what the senior member told me. he said that i have to set my router into bridge mode. i dont know what he's saying. so pls help me. when i done it correctly the result must be like this:

1 <1 ms <1ms <1ms 192.168.224.1

2 28 ms 28ms 28ms 125.60.xxx.xxx

3 29 ms 29ms 29ms 121.1.3.34

i dont know how to do that, even what is that address is all about. all i know is 192.168.224.1 is the address of our ISP. the 192.168.1.1 is the address of our linksys router(i believe).

can anyone tell me what is the problem in the settings of my router? what shall i do? i need your help. anyone.. i started to be bothered when i ask to someone if my ping is normal bcoz everytime i went to [this.site.has.been.blocked.for.spamming] i always got high ping or ms from 800+ upto 999, i ask him if that is normal. then he told me that:

"You have two routers connected back to back at hop 1 and 2. IP addresses with the format 192.168.xx.xx are those of a router. This means your modem already has a router in it."

that is his reply..now i dont know what im gonna do. im not familiar about networking, im into programming only..PLS HELP..

Let's put it this way.

In a base station, there are 50 users connected.  Imagine the base station as your "DSL MODEM/ROUTER" that's connected to WAN with 1 static IP and the 50 users as 50 computers connected to your router.

192.168.224.1 is the IP of the DHCP server which is also your "router".  Now if you place a router on your side, that's like a router connected to a router.  You understand what I'm trying to say?

So when you trace route, the first hop will be your router then the 2nd hop will be the DHCP server of Smart Bro (Which is also the AP) then going out to the internet.