I've had this problem with this router since day one.

x_6985381

I've recently purchased a D-Link WBR-1310 for a simple two computer network configuration. I've lost my performance computer, so now I'm on my business desktop.  Even on my other better computer it gave me the same problem. When hard-wired the connection seems to time-out, and randomly drops. I've updated the firmware twice from when I've purchased it and today, trying to get it to stop dropping. I've tried configuring it, but routers are my flaw. I was wondering how I should set this up, and how to get it to stop dropping / timing-out. It's rather annoying.

thank you all for your help.

Windows Vista Home Basic

Intel ProV/100 On-Board NIC

Up to date BIOS - Motherboard

V2.01 Firmware - D-Link WBR-1310 Rev B.

Hardwired, Wireless disabled, Everything else is default.

Please and thank you!

I'm trying to get my router uninstalled, as I'm starting to see with only one connection it's pointless.

I need to have my modem register to this computer, but it will not do it.

I'm in vista home basic, and this router issue is driving me nuts.

How do I configure my cable modem, to run with this computer, without the middleman (router)?

I've 30sec power cycled,

reset button nearly 20 times,

and wired the modem to the pc, restarted both.

Any help would be of great thanks. [nerdly]

Could you possibly have a cable mismatch?    There are two ways the cat5 / (RJ-45) cables can be wired  568-A  and 568-B. Did you put these together? Or buy them.  I don't see a crossover cable even functioning here, but sometimes they will sell you one, or you may pick one up poorly labeled.

Have you tried to isolate the issue buy connecting one box at a time?  Switching cables if there is poor throughput?  Possibly going straight through the modem w/ each?  Ping the router?

Have you run an NDT server (Network Diagnostics)  test and researched the detailed section? http://nitro.ucsc.edu/

I have no experience w/ Vista, but it would be a first to me , to " register the router " to anything.

You should be able to simply plug the box into the modem, and be on the net.

First, Shut them both off, and turn the modem on first, so it can snatch an IP from the server, then , when lights read "online"  power on your box.  You'll be good to go, if your cabling is good .  Post back please

I have tried all of the above, still no sign other than network congestion, and I don't understand what could be congesting it. Currently I have AIM open, nothing else. besides firefox.

:-|

are you Sure? have you typed " netstat" in a command prompt to see all live connections?

EDIT: Connection dropped half way through writing this. Could it be my isp's modem going?

Alright I've currently done everything you've told me, and am now directly connected to my modem, i guess i missed the day of class were we talked about waiting for the modem to cache an ip.

:evil6:

Anyways the main point of this was to keep my browser from locking up.

I mean I can be searching anything, but when it comes to myspace, or youtube.

My connection seems to freeze right up, I'm thinking its because of configuration I've made to firefox itself. With the about:config page of firefox. Anyone know of programs to completely erase firefox, registery keys and what not, I've uninstalled and reinstalled but still the same problem I thought by eliminating the router I'd fix the problem, yet again I'm stuck with a freezing connection.

TCP/Web100 Network Diagnostic Tool v5.4.12

click START to begin

Connected to: nitro.ucsc.edu  --  Using IPv4 address

Another client is currently being served, your test will begin within 45 seconds

Checking for Middleboxes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Done

checking for firewalls . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Done

running 10s outbound test (client-to-server [C2S]) . . . . . 963.0kb/s

running 10s inbound test (server-to-client [s2C]) . . . . . . 8.44Mb/s

Your PC is connected to a Cable/DSL modem

Information: Other network traffic is congesting the link

click START to re-test

AIM

XFIRE

Window Vista Default connection components.

* All that is curret upon running test...

EDIT: Connection dropped half way through writing this. Could it be my isp's modem going?

in your browser , type in the Ip of the modem, should be 192.168.100.1  Look for the stats page ( assuming you have a motorolla SB 5100 or 5200, and post your SN ratio  ect.......... Should be well below 50, if not, you may have a drop issue, ( bad cable outside. or splitter from the port.

Jay-sus, that appears insane for you claiming only Aim, and a browser!    Gimmie a minute to decipher what I can.

Can't seem to find the Sn Ratio, explain more please.

ok, I don't really remember the interface to much, so bear w/ me,  look where it says " connection " or status , or look around and you'll see where it say's S/N  ratio , or something like that.

Can't seem to find the Sn Ratio, explain more please.

Edit: Found it - 34.9 dB

Thats good!

All those numbers such as :50XXX , are different ports that are open right this second, once again, I am not familliar w/ Vista, but I am a bit concerned w/ all these established connections. You may want to check for a trojan.

Here are a couple of the sites that are accessing you right now...............

http://216.250.59.67/privacy.htm please take notice at the bottom of the page,

"Web tracking"

You have a " web2 " mail client open

http://wordpress.com/tag/ac/  look familliar ?

just a question, have you recently querying  about the military online?

Only thing thats close to anything I've been using lately would be wordpress.

As I've installed wordpress on my web-server.

I've screenshot the connections after running Avast!

See below, dramatically changed the number of connections being made.

Thanks so much, going to go give it a test and throw it around a bit.

Thanks again.

:smile2:

X - are you running more than 1 anti virus simultaneously?

If so, that could be a problem as they may conflict.

I would stick with AVG, personally.

Hopefully cleaning out the Trojan will solve your problem.

BTW, can you copy and paste all of the info from your modems signal page?

It is the page you got your SNR from earlier, I want to see all of the signal levels.

all routers, modem, and wireless device still have software issues as of now with vista.. you need to wait until the updated service pack be released on the market.

uninstall all your antivirus, cause they all failed the security test with vista, mcafee scored between 85%-90% according to a report from microsoft.com and they are still working on the fixes able for all the antivirus be usable with vista.. as of now what i can suggest for you to use as antivirus is the trend micro sysclean.. it is an antivirus executed on msdos..

i would suggest to downgrade as of now to XP.. but if you will still use your vista i advice not to use a router but a switch hub..