Graphics card

hiteshsomai

Hi everybody. i am back after a long time  :grin2:

nice to see those forums which i started previously.  :smile2:

well coming to the point... i need help from my seniors members here. i am planning to buy a graphics card. i have a very low budget  :sad3:. actually i need to sell my computer in beginning of next year and my graphics card has been damaged physically. so i need one in which i priced less

I have following desktop config:

intel 845 ge chipset motherboard

2.4 ghz processor

760 mb of RAM

one AGP 8x slot

plz reply me with ur opinions

i would be thankful to u :smile2:

well, since you want to sell it you have to ask yourself how much you want to invest. (you are going to getback for the graphics card about 10% of what you aid for it.) (imo selling a used computer is a losing proposition in any case (unless you find a really clueless buyer))

pick a price range and then go to tigerdirect (or wherever you want to buy) and have it show you only cards in your price range.

You may want to check for the 6200 video card, its price is good but if you are willing to spend, try 7200 (i think it is 7200GS). more expensive but you may want to check it out.  :smiley:

Both have 256MB vRAM

Video cards at this price range are just temporary cards that won't do much more than display a 2d image. 256 MB on low cards is just a marketing gimmick to make people believe the cards actually have any processing power. Besides, a 7300GT for 100 dollar? :idiot2:

hiteshsomai: You mentioned 760 MB of ram, which means that 8 MB is being used by an onboard chip. You could opt to save the money and wait till next year to upgrade then.

if the system has an agp he won;t be able to run any of the current games anyhow. so a card that was great a few years ago and now ships for under fifty clams would be well matched to the system.

as for the ram on the card: 256 meg or however much on the card is not just to "make it look like it has some processing power."

believe it or not the older cards (yes, those before your time) didn't have the 3 THz processors of current rigs but they were the fastest you could get at the time and more than adequate for games that came out at the same time. and the ram was and is actually used, sincethe size of a texture in memory hasnothing to do with the speed of the GPU.

hitesh, post your budget and you will likely get a dozen or so opinions on what is the "best" card in that price range. but it should help nonetheless.

thanks a lot guys. i think i will go for 7300 GT.  :smitten:

But the prob is it can go outta my budget. the price here is reasonable but in my country i.e. India i don't think that i will get rates like this.. it will surely touch clouds  :roll::cry2:

can anybody tell me for how much will i get 7300 gt or xfx 6200 in India?

i would be thankful to u  :smile2:

Thanks resopalrabotnick.

Actually budget is less then Rs.2k (50$ app.). i need to run some basic games. As i told u earlier also that i am thinking to sell my computer in beginning of next year. so there is no point of investing that much money on this piece of shit. that's why i will prefer a basic card, most probably xfx 6200.

thanks a lot guys. i think i will go for 7300 GT.  :smitten:

But the prob is it can go outta my budget. the price here is reasonable but in my country i.e. India i don't think that i will get rates like this.. it will surely touch clouds  :roll::cry2:

can anybody tell me for how much will i get 7300 gt or xfx 6200 in India?

i would be thankful to u  :smile2:

no idea, and i don't read the lingo. you would have to find a local dealer, a local internet shop or a major international distributor and check their prices versus shipping to get the total. as for going to a store, do you have any major electronics stores near you? most will have a selection of older generation cards for older systems.

I f he really wants to get a card isn't this on a lot better?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102152

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102073

well, the first one is pci express, so no go, and the second one seems a tad too big for an older system. (big as in so powerful that it would spend half its clock cycles waiting on the rest of the system)

You may want to check for the 6200 video card, its price is good but if you are willing to spend, try 7200 (i think it is 7200GS). more expensive but you may want to check it out.  :smiley:

Both have 256MB vRAM

mainstream versions of the nvidia video cards generally all perform at the same speeds, but with different added stuff such as the shader 2.0, comparatively, a Geforce 6150 is like a Geforce 2. Same goes with the other series, and since the main difference between the 6200 and 7200 is like... nothing, they're not all that different. I was just saying, if you want temporary and cheap gaming, 6600 is an alright card to buy. The one I had has lasted me all the way to Tabula Rasa preforming excellently, which came out quite recently.

mainstream versions of the nvidia video cards generally all perform at the same speeds, but with different added stuff such as the shader 2.0, comparatively, a Geforce 6150 is like a Geforce 2. Same goes with the other series, and since the main difference between the 6200 and 7200 is like... nothing, they're not all that different. I was just saying, if you want temporary and cheap gaming, 6600 is an alright card to buy. The one I had has lasted me all the way to Tabula Rasa preforming excellently, which came out quite recently.

Where did you hear that?

a 6150 is nothing like a geforce 2. And there is a huge difference in a 6200 and a 7200. Its a completely different architecture.

you should go slap who ever it was that told you that mainstream versions of nvidia video cards generally all perform the same because that is so not true. Nvidia doubles the performance in between each new series.

as for the ram on the card: 256 meg or however much on the card is not just to "make it look like it has some processing power."

believe it or not the older cards (yes, those before your time) didn't have the 3 THz processors of current rigs but they were the fastest you could get at the time and more than adequate for games that came out at the same time. and the ram was and is actually used, sincethe size of a texture in memory hasnothing to do with the speed of the GPU.

No, it's there to put in BIG LETTERS on the box that it has omg256MB JUST AS MUCH AS A 7800GT(X). And texture size does have an influence on the fps, since there would be no reason not to have an 'ultra quality' setting where the texture size is increased as a standard setting if the MB is over x. Because that doesn't happen, it's easy to conclude that the video card does have to deal with extra internal pixels, which slows it down. On resolutions like 800*600 you can't see the eye-candy anyway.

Perhaps the best option is to search for a used card, one that is faster than the one bought in the stores, and most likely cheaper. But it could be that such cards are very rare in India.

you misunderstood.

the amount of ram installed on the card has nothing to do with the absolute speed of the GPU. of course larger textures slow down overall processing. The large amount of ram is there because it /can/ be used. it is not stuck on for shits and giggles to make the card 'look' better.

it goes without saying that a current generation 256 meg card will run circles around an older one. that does not render the ram useless though.

the amount of ram installed on the card has nothing to do with the absolute speed of the GPU. of course larger textures slow down overall processing. The large amount of ram is there because it /can/ be used. it is not stuck on for shits and giggles to make the card 'look' better.

I still consider large amounts of memory on a low card to be a waste of manufacturing money and of consumer money. It's an easy 'money maker' for the reason I mentioned above, because a faster chip with less memory is hard to sell when all the slower cards show off their huge, but rarely used, memory capacity. People tend to look at what is advertised for what they seek, and memory of video cards is a real big seller for the wrong reason.

ram as a moneymaker is a point. but i don't think it is valid.

first of all, the low end cards we are talkin about are in a price range that doesn't have much profit left over. (while the careds may be low end compared to current rigs, they are still fairly complex pieces of kit.)

second, video ram (whatever flavor a specific card needs) is some of the most expensive ram you can get. so plopping a bunch of it on an inexpensive card for cosmetic reasons is a waste of profits

third, the chipsets that come with that amount of memory were designed for it. so cutting a card from 256 to say 32 megs without sacrificing bandwidth by simply reducing the number of ram chips means replacing say 8 32 meg chips with 8 4 meg chips. while the 4 meg chips may be cheaper than the 32 meg chips (in fact they may be more expensive due to low demand) a minor reduction in component cost and no reduction in complexity lead to a severely hamstrung card. and that just doesn't make sense.

that is why i think the manufacturers keep on cranking out the old design with the same specs and sell it for the low price rather than wasting development effort on designing a new card with an old chipset.