Linksys WRT54G Wireless Drops Out

iranintoavan

Networking: Linksys WRT54G with Comcast cable high speed internet.

Computers: Apple Macbook Pro running Leopard, Apple Macbook running Leopard, Toshbia laptop running XP

Problem: Whenever I connect to our network wirelessly from any of the laptops it works great for about 10 minutes and then it cuts out for about a minute and then comes right back and works fine again. This happens no matter whether I'm in the room with the router or across the house. But whenever I plug any of those computers into the router using an Ethernet cable it never cuts out and works perfect. So I assume its the wifi that has the problem not the whole router. It is not just our computers because we have had other people come over with the same results. Also the router is brand new, but we also have another WRT54g a little older. My dad bought the new one cause he thought it would fix the problem.

Thanks for the help. If you need anymore information to assist me just let me know and I will provide it.

I don't know about your problem, it could be interference or something.  Anyway, my neighbor went through a couple of those right in a row, wireless problems too, only they completely quit and never worked again.  I bought a wrt54gL (note the L) for my cousins, they are "better"/more reliable, no problems in over a year.

I would have to initially agree w/ NErancher as far as the interference, do you have any remote cameras set up?  I ran across this once before, if so, simply change the frequency on the router. Are you using aantenna booster, like a "remote " one?

Just for a simple check, change it anyway, if you live near someone that does have something on the same frequency, this could possibly be the culprit.

I changed the frequency and now I will try this. But even after disabling the security which I don't really want to do, it still cut out last night.

i have the same router, what i did was unplug the router and go with the modem straight to one pc. then i decided to try it again, and i made sure all the drivers were uninstalled for it, and completely reinstalled/rehooked up the router, and it hasnt cut out once...idk what i did, but you might try to reset it completely once more