What is realistic?

Geopla

Hello to all,

Being rather new at using wireless networks, I am hoping that somebody here can set me straight on just what is a realistic expectation.

I have been with Comcast for several years now, and I have always experienced download speeds exceeding 8 meg (+-).  Last week, Comcast came out and installed a wireless modem/router, and now my speeds have dropped to a mere 5 meg (+-).  I have read numerous forum postings about such problems, and I am not sure of the results.  Is what I am experiencing just the typical end result of a wireless network, or is something wrong?  Is there something I can do to return to my previous speeds?

Thank you,

George

Geopla, welcome to the forum a we hope you enjoy your stay here. When you say wireless you don't have a cable going to it at all and you pick comcast out of the air (WIFI)?

:welcome:

Edit:

Features of Comcast Wireless Home Networking

* Multiple Computers:  If you have multiple computers, and only one connection, Comcast makes it easy.  Up to five computers can be connected to the Internet at once without incurring any additional charges.

* Wireless Capabilities:  Enjoy Internet access in every room and even outside within 150 feet of the gateway with Comcast wireless home networking.

* Faster Speeds:  The standard Comcast package gives you speeds of up to 4 Mbps downstream and 384 Kbps upstream.  For an extra $10 per month, you get up to 6 Mbps downstream and 768 Kbps upstream.  No more waiting around for pages to load or information to send.

* Security Features:  Everyone can enjoy Comcast

Hello Coknuck,

Thanks for the reply.  My main computer is directly wired to the modem/router, and that is the computer which is now slow.  I don't much care about the wireless speed, but I do want my main machine to be as fast as it was, if possible.

Thanks again,

George