need wireless help

MJFSOL

hi all...

recently my wireless speeds have dropped below 30Kbps

paying for 5 / 768

the wired connection i have is up to speed....but for some reason the wireless is dramatically slower....

ive ran..re ran..cleared restored and re ran all the tweaking progs...checked my router and the latest firmware is there...

no chance for interference...

so im stumped....

suggestions?

thanks all

errr umm..

moved the router farther away from the CPU ...thinking electric interference may be an issue....saw a jump to about 75/125kBps.....still slower then it used to be but a modest jump....and the speed test on my siggy was from my computer wired to the router...and for 5M down and about 650 up im not complaining about the wired by any means...

so all in all wireless is a little faster but still slower than expected...i know overhead takes some away but not this much...

thanx again for any insight or suggestions.... :angel:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

IF you hardwire into the router is there much improvement? What are the speeds then?

sorry for the delay in posting....was away on biz for awhile...I'm back now...

anyways,,,,i take the same laptop...wire it to the router and my speeds are about about 4996 down and 504 up............near advertised speeds...

unhook the wires and re-enable the wireless connection and be about 3 ' form the router my speeds are 850Kbps or .9Mbps(104 kB/s)

if i go into my bedroom the speeds are damn near dial up.... :tickedoff:

i have a linksys wireless B router...

went to the linksys site and from what the ppl there said the router is fine its my ISP....my ISP says it had to be the router... ran a test on the DSL line or whatever and its good...obviously..lol ive had the router for a cpl years now...and i know its a bit out of date compared to the models out now...but it serves(d) its purpose...until now of course.....

im tempted to either get a new router or goto the dell site and get a new wireless card....ive ran diagnostics on both and they check out....tweaked to the max,,,,ran ALL of the test's for malware and all that other junk.....everythings clean...even reinstalled windows and re-tweaked and still get the same %^&&*..lol this is enough to drive one bonkers... :321: LOL

again im stumped...and stuck...lol

thanks again for the suggestions...

anymore are welcome

thanks

i have a linksys wireless B router...

went to the linksys site and from what the ppl there said the router is fine its my ISP....my ISP says it had to be the router... ran a test on the DSL line or whatever and its good...obviously..lol ive had the router for a cpl years now...and i know its a bit out of date compared to the models out now...but it serves(d) its purpose...until now of course.....

im tempted to either get a new router or goto the dell site and get a new wireless card....ive ran diagnostics on both and they check out....tweaked to the max,,,,ran ALL of the test's for malware and all that other junk.....everythings clean...even reinstalled windows and re-tweaked

Router firmware most recent and also the wireless card??

http://shop2.outpost.com/product/3635275

ok 2 suggestions check the cable that leads to the router

and make sure the antenna is pop in sometimes the antennas can become damage or pop out of their sockets a bit

if that dont work just replace it would be my next suggestion

its def a hardware problem not software based in my opinion

• 3 weeks later...

still no more thoughts??

my laptop is sitting next to the router...nearly making contact and getting about 26-37kB/s

does anyone really seriously think its time for a new router?? remember i have a wireless B....are they older by todays standards now ??

wired to the router i get advertised speeds....at or a little above 5Mbps

I know you said your check out the wireless card, router and everything  looks good ,but did you ever try to hook up another laptop to your router just to be sure or try to hook up your laptop to somebody else router.? At the lease it will tell you if you need to buy a newer router

well id love to hookup another laptop to the router...but i don't have anymore..lol

now when i was on vacation for christmas the hotel we stayed @ had wi-fi...and being on the 5th floor i had low connection quality on this laptop...but i was getting speeds around 300kB/s or so....and as i type the laptop is wired to the router and im getting  around 615kB/s...

so thats what im thinking is either i invest in an amplifier  for the antennas or whatever you call em or get a new router....

again all theories are welcome....and again....is wireless "B" series sort of old now compared to the "G" and "N" out there??  just wondering....

[nerd]

ok i went to a wifi spot at mcdonalds...lol  got decent speeds....about 112 kB/s

went back home and got a whopping 27 kB/s

went to my co-workers house (she has 5M service too) and got almost 600 kB/s

back home again...32 kB/s

There may be an easier way to do this, but if you want to check to see if anyone else is on your connection draining  your speed you can go into your router and go to mac filtering. Turn it on and then view the clients currently connected to your router. I have had neighbors get on my connection (its secure at times, not at others) and drain my speeds. At times I dont care if others get on but at times I do. Anyway.. I hope you get it figured out.

thanks shug....im as far as i know the only one on my street with a hi speed connection.....and wifi....nearest neighbor is across the road and trheyre both in their late 70's early 80's and i just dont see them stealing my bandwidth....come to think of it...they dont even own a computer...

next nearest neighbor is about or over 1k feet away...i dont think my router broadcasts that far away....and i just did waht you said and im the only one sucking bandwidth.....

again unless someone is parked outside of my house...and i know theyre not...my dog would tell me..lol  its gotta be the router..IMO

my ISP says its prolly the router,....theyre the ones who sent this to me...and now they dont want to either swap or send me another one...i have to buy one from them...itll go on my phone bill or goto the store and buy one....i just dont have the extra $$ to do either attm ...

so thats why ive been hopeful i guess against hope that its a fixable problem....i considered those boosters for the antennas but even in my bedroom i get an excellent connection...

so im just like uggg

icon_banghead2.gif

heres my latest speed...

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Download Connection is:: 299 Kbps about 0.3 Mbps (tested with 386 kB)

Download Speed is:: 36 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (Main)

Test Time:: 2008/01/29 - 10:44pm

Bottom Line:: 5X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 28.44 sec

Tested from a 386 kB file and took 10.575 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: May need help : running at only 11.32 % of your hosts average (embarqhsd.net)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-8OKJFNZIT

User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.11) Gecko/20071127 Firefox/2.0.0.11 [!]

wireless  ^^^^^

wired  vvvvvv

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Download Connection is:: 4979 Kbps about 5 Mbps (tested with 5983 kB)

Download Speed is:: 608 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (Main)

Test Time:: 2008/01/29 - 10:46pm

Bottom Line:: 87X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 1.68 sec

Tested from a 5983 kB file and took 9.844 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: Awesome! 20% + : 88.53 % faster than the average for host (embarqhsd.net)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-ZRX0FE7MW

User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.11) Gecko/20071127 Firefox/2.0.0.11 [!]

:haha:  sad aint it?!

Have you tried it with a different laptop as previously suggested? It seems like you are at the "eliminate the improbable" stage. And yes, wireless b is considered fairly old by today's standards.

One other thing. Your router is wireless b, but what is the wireless card in your laptop? And can you set your router to broadcast a mixed signal? I have a Linksys router that will do mixed, B-only or G-only. Check the basic wireless settings in the router for this.

thanks shug....im as far as i know the only one on my street with a hi speed connection.....and wifi....nearest neighbor is across the road and trheyre both in their late 70's early 80's and i just dont see them stealing my bandwidth....come to think of it...they dont even own a computer...

next nearest neighbor is about or over 1k feet away...i dont think my router broadcasts that far away....and i just did waht you said and im the only one sucking bandwidth.....

again unless someone is parked outside of my house...and i know theyre not...my dog would tell me..lol  its gotta be the router..IMO

my ISP says its prolly the router,....theyre the ones who sent this to me...and now they dont want to either swap or send me another one...i have to buy one from them...itll go on my phone bill or goto the store and buy one....i just dont have the extra $$ to do either attm ...

so thats why ive been hopeful i guess against hope that its a fixable problem....i considered those boosters for the antennas but even in my bedroom i get an excellent connection...

so im just like uggg

icon_banghead2.gif

Hmmm. have you tried completely reseting your router? Im guessing you have but if not, hit the reset button in the back. Reset your modem as well, may help, probably not though.

I have to agree with your 2nd choice, shug. Resetting the router won't help and if he's hardwired to the router getting good speeds, the modem is doing all it can do, too.  :shrug:

I'd still look into the router settings. BTW, MJFSOL, when you updated the firmware, you were hardwired to the router weren't you?

ok...went to my in-laws house and borrowed their laptop....it received top DL speeds of about 41kB/s wireless...606kB/ wired.....

my wireless card is a dell truemobile 1150 series wireless LAN mini PCI card...drivers are up to date....firmware for my router is up to date and it was updated when the computer was hardwired to it....

looked in the setup and as far as i can see  i cannot use mixed signals...

already reset the modem and router ....no dice.. :-|