Jump to content

Strange Win2k speedtest results


Recommended Posts

Okay this is probably of little use to anyone, but I had to tell someone :)

I tested my computer, Win2k Pro with FIOS 5Mb/2Mb many times and got a consistent 5Mb/1.5Mb test result using the dual test. Recently, after installing EverQuest and having lag issues in the game (game lagging, not internet caused lag) I checked my speed again, and found 3.4/1.5! Well, I was blaming EverQuest, so (leaving out several tests to verify the problem was on this computer) to test that I installed another hard drive with Win2k, all the support programs I used on the other hard drive, and World of Warcraft, testing with every program installed. My speed measured from 5.4/1.8 after installation of OS and latest service pack, to 5.2/1.5 after critical updates, and it stayed at 5.2/1.5 after the installation of everything else (I did NOT install EverQuest on this hard drive).

I changed my CPU and re-flashed my BIOS. measured my connection speed again and got 3.4/1.5! Now I was confused.

I couldn't believe this was a hardware problem, at least not the changes I made, so I did and 'upgrade' install of Win2k (I can't do a 'repair' for some reason off my copy of Win2k, maybe because it's an OEM version?) Guess what? I got back 5.4/1.8! Ah, so something must be corrupting the Windows Internet connection files, I thought. . .

Of course the stupid 'upgrade' install caused a few problems, and I had to reinstall the Microsoft upgrade program, IE 6, DirectX 9.0c, and the many security updates. Testing after each install procedure, I got a slight (negligible) speed decrease to 5.2/1.8. After all the security updates though, I got 3.4/1.5!  :shocked: This DID NOT happen I installed the security updates before!

Okay, I quit, I said to myself. Even though the other computers on my connection still get 5/1.5, I can live with the still speedy 3.4/1.5 and it's not worth any more effort. At least I found out the problem was not related to EverQuest (though the old EverQuest does have other problems). I was disappointed, but trying to be realistic. End of story, right?


In preparation for installation of a new video adapter, I downloaded the latest software for it from ATI. Guess what? My download speed was 620KBps - in other words, 5Mbps!  :lol: I retested with The dual test, and got 3.4/1.5 again.

So, something on my computer is causing a reduced speed test report by testmy.net's test, but in actuality I do not have a reduced internet connection speed. Accept, apparently, to testmy.net.

BTW, testing on one of my other computers on this same FIOS connection shows 5Mbps/1.5Mbps consistently throughout this whole mess, regardless of other computers connected to the internet.

So, go figure. I know not to trust internet speed connection tests except as a comparison to themselves (the reason I use testmy.net is that my results are so consistent), but I am a total loss as to why my test results should change so much and only on my computer, apparently at random (and only to a reduced speed, it has never increased except by re-installing the OS)!

Not really asking for an explanation here, just relating what I hope is an interesting experience (though I would love an explanation, of course). Heh, thanks for listening. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...