KDE or GNOME

starship_troopers

Hey now, don't bust Ubuntu so quick,  lol, before to  long they may have the most advanced ( video tricks ) OS on the market. 

Although I do agree , boredom set in fairly soon after install.

As for gnome, ok, I guess, but KDE is far more advanced, as well as useful , and integrated into the OS files.

i have a question...i have dual boot mandriva 2008 and xp media center on my laptop...ok well two questions....

one, my cpu is 1.8ghz amd sempron but it only reads as 800mhz....

and 2, i am pretty sure i have the water effects, wobbly windows, etc, enabled but i cant get compiz fusion to actually work...hwo do i use the effects...

i have a question...i have dual boot mandriva 2008 and xp media center on my laptop...ok well two questions....

one, my cpu is 1.8ghz amd sempron but it only reads as 800mhz....

and 2, i am pretty sure i have the water effects, wobbly windows, etc, enabled but i cant get compiz fusion to actually work...hwo do i use the effects...

Ubuntu correct?

If so go to the Ubuntu Wiki and search there...I had the same issue...

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/

here are my wireless stats for mandriva 2008...  :::.. testmy.net test results ..:::

Download Connection is:: 3214 Kbps about 3.21 Mbps (tested with 2992 kB)

Download Speed is:: 392 kB/s

Upload Connection is:: 285 Kbps about 0.3 Mbps (tested with 579 kB)

Upload Speed is:: 35 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net (Main)

Test Time:: 2007/12/02 - 2:22pm

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-KQ169WRE4

U-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-NMVBEJGYW

User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8.1.6) Gecko/20070208 Mandriva/2.0.0.6-12mdv2008.0 (2008.0) Firefox/2.0.0.6 [!]

but when i reboot i bet i will not have wirless....which would suck cause i dont know how to reconfigure it  :haha:

one, my cpu is 1.8GHz amd sempron but it only reads as 800MHz....

It is a driver in linux and it is also in windows called Cool'N Quiet which is a reduction in both clock frequency and voltage at idle. saves alot of power.

no its not. i have everything working perfectly now. and if a noob to linux like me can do it...then it shouldnt be a hassle to anyone..you just have to make sure you ahve the right drivers and versions for your specs.....  :cool:

Yeah but laptops with integrated wireless

have a very huge lack of drivers coded for linux or ports

so getting online wirelessly is to much of a hassle for me a college student to use in his now main compter, his laptop

i love linux on my desktop but admit i have hardly used it in a long time

i will say i hate vista  but it gets the job done none the less

i see your point, but my wirless on my laptop is integrated and im using it with linux right now.

but yeah, i love linux on my desktop, im gonna partition my harddrive with Gparted because i dont use 70 gigs of my space anyways, so i'll install mandriva 2008 as a dual boot too.

Give parallels workstation a try, you could run it just as fast as if you were dual booting, if your processor as virtualization