Hard Drive Partitions

porsche6714

Hello,

I recently bought a second hard drive to add to my system.  I was reading online that it is sometimes best to keep your Windows page file on a separate partition on the 2nd hard drive.  Is this true?  And are there any other items on my computer that should get their own partition?

Where did you read that at? it doesn't really matter where your page file is as long as there is enough space. The only reason people move the page file to another drive is because they think it will make things load faster but it really doesn't. especially when you move it from 1 7200rpm drive to another 7200rpm drive. Moving it can also cause more problems.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/expert/tulloch_partition.mspx

Its towards the end of the page under "Boosting performance"

Just wondering if it were true or not

No it won't improve performance if you have another 7200rpm drive. If you had a 15,000rpm scis drive you might notice a difference when your using alot of your page file.

If you have 2GB or more ram your really not using your page file very much.

No it won't improve performance if you have another 7200rpm drive. If you had a 15,000rpm scis drive you might notice a difference when your using alot of your page file.

If you have 2GB or more ram your really not using your page file very much.

yeh but 15000 rpm hard disks are fairly expensive...i wouldnt get one just to use for a page file....or maybe im just cheap....

yeh but 15000 rpm hard disks are fairly expensive...i wouldnt get one just to use for a page file....or maybe im just cheap....

no your right, thats just a waste of money to get one for a page file.

I have a 147GB one in the computer that i use for rendering at work and the thing is so loud it makes me not want to use it.

Guest ExtremeFusion

This computer actually only has 256MB so I use the page file A LOT

just buy a decent RAM (it safer that way, it is easy to install and reliable), (1 Gig is OK) considering you are not a Vista User.

What apps hogs down all if not most of your RAM?

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/category.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&category_id=4325&mfgpid=190968&chassisid=-1

Actually its not cheap at all for ram on this computer.  It uses RDRAM, with is almost impossible to find except on dells site and ebay.  Also you have to buy that memory in pairs.  So double the prices they show there on their site becasue i have to buy 2.

Not to mention i really dont need the extra ram on this computer.  Its pretty much just used for internet and MS Office stuff.

Have a look on here  http://www.theeldergeek.com/paging_file.htm

it makes sense to me , page 2 is especially interesting ?

I have 2 hard drives , and page file is on the second , I also keep my "C" small with a partition of 20Gb, the other side of the partion (60GB ) is for storage

the second hard drive is also partitioned , again for storage ,Copies of important stuff , ( :lol: really important stuff also gets on a second computer that doesn't go on line ,) and onto DVD disk ,  :shocked:

I page file onto the final partion , along with my ASR backups and my drivers store , 

A reg.hack that is supposed to speed things up is ,

" DisablePagingExecutive " set it to "1",  , and to change back set "0" the default ,

It made very little difference on my computer ,

and the usual disclaimer applies  :evil6:

BTW I run Xp pro , and it does page file even with 1Gb of DDR,

never seen one that doesn't

just my thoughts ,