Computer Keeps Restarting

RXDriv3r

Im having a prob with my PC, once it gets to the Welcome Screen it restarts itself.  I was at work when it started but my mom said, the screen went black and when it came back the mouse was frozen, and then the PC shut off, then when she turned it on it started restarting itself.  Right now I'm in Safe Mode so I can atleast get on in that and post this because I';m stumped.  I tried a System Restore and I rolled back once and it just froze in the Welcome Screen and when I tried rolling back even further the problem juss kept goin.  So do any of you have any idea?

Edit: Oh yea, I was readin a previous thread in a diff. forum about this and they said it could be a faulty Ram module but I've been in Safe Mode for a few hours now and nothing out of the ordinary has happened, so it might not be that but Im not sure.

Have you tried running checkdisk?

Try going into safe mode with command prompt, and and run chkdsk /r ....It may take a while to run, but will repair errors, locate bad sectors, and recover readable information.

A corrupted disk could cause your symptoms.

Try running memtest86, or prime 95 to see if you have a bad memory stick.  Or, if you have more than 1 memory stick, take one out, and test with a single stick, then swap them and see if the problem changes, or go away.

Your symptons also could be a sign of a weak power supply...Mine had similar symptoms, but it would freeze randomly and not just at the login screen.  And if I remember correctly, it would run fine in safe mode...Eventually the pc would not start.  It only would flash on for a split second when the power button was pressed.  A new psu cured that problem.

Okay juss finished checking the RAM, took out #2 Ram Module and the computer wouldnt even get to the Windows logo screen before restarting, so then I thought it could be Ram #1 but I took that out and put #2 back in and still no successful logging, so then I put both back in, and tried the checkdisk but wouldnt let me do it cause its NTFS, tried doin it on restart but juss restarted normally, Im going to go try out a diff PSU that I have laying around, its brand new so Im hoping that that fixes it.  Also how would I go about repairing Windows with the CD?  I tried already but that just takes me to a DOS screen, I've never repaired it that way so I dont know what to do.  :oops:

Ok so I tried reinstalling Windows and my computer kept restarting even then, so then I thought of doin somethin that was bugging me from earlier, my Vid Card...I swapped it out with an older one and now it works fine

finished repairing windows and here I am.  So I guess that was the prob.  Lol Now I need a new Vid Card tho...no more gaming until then ;_;

• 2 weeks later...