Linux help needed

Buntz

Just install Kubuntu in my computer. It is dual booted with windows XP home. My problem is the Adept Manager is not working. I get this error message when I try to use it.

Database Locked- Adept Manager

Another process is using the packaging system database [probably

some other Adept application or apt-get or aptitude ].

I had some trouble installing Kubuntu, I had to use the alternate version of the CD download to get it install. After I install it I updated the os and got a error message,but it did update. Then I went in to Adept Manager and install Firefox, got another error message,but firefox is working[ I am using it now ] After I install firefox it stop working.I can click on the program I want to install,but the apply changes will not work.

Can one of the mods please move this to the right section of the forum for me.  Thanks

Just install Kubuntu in my computer. It is dual booted with windows XP home. My problem is the Adept Manager is not working. I get this error message when I try to use it.

Database Locked- Adept Manager

Another process is using the packaging system database [probably

some other Adept application or apt-get or aptitude ].

I had some trouble installing Kubuntu, I had to use the alternate version of the CD download to get it install. After I install it I updated the os and got a error message,but it did update. Then I went in to Adept Manager and install Firefox, got another error message,but firefox is working[ I am using it now ] After I install firefox it stop working.I can click on the program I want to install,but the apply changes will not work.

Can one of the mods please move this to the right section of the forum for me.  Thanks

Verdict: Bad install

Solution: Re-Install

Did a reinstall. Now I can not even get firefox to install. It also error again when I try to upgrade the os, it error when it try to configure new version of tzdata. Now when I try to upgrade the os it will download the upgrade, but it will not install them..

Did a reinstall. Now I can not even get firefox to install. It also error again when I try to upgrade the os, it error when it try to configure new version of tzdata. Now when I try to upgrade the os it will download the upgrade, but it will not install them..

What version are you running?

• 4 weeks later...

I saw the lastest build of Ubuntu break apt-get following an update late last month...  I am not a Ubuntu user.. however make sure that you are not in the process of running an update when you are trying to access apt-get..  try running this command at it will tell you if the apt process is rinning: ps -aef | grep apt

I also tried to install SUSE 10.3 , it would lock up on me during installation. I just try install SUSE 10.3 again and it lock up again. It keep locking up when it get to the package installation part of the installation. I am using the 64 bit version of SUSE 10.3 that I downloaded and burn to a DVD.

the computer spec are

3700+ oc to 2600MHz

ASUS A8N-SLI Premium motherboard

2GB of Corsair ram

Nvidia 7300GT video card [single card]

320 GB Maxtor Harddrive that has 3 partition on it.

# 1-19.53 GB has the windows os on it.

#2 -136.71 GB that I use for my windows downloads.

# 3 -141.84 GB that I am using to install SUSE 10.3 linux on.

I have noticed hat several Linux distros do not care for an OC system. Especially Ubuntu, and Suse. May be just a coincidence, but I have had much better luck when returning CPU to  specs.

EDIT: maybe try lowering clock speed during installation, then creeping back up after updates.

So far everything is going good with SUSE 10.3, so at this time I am going to stay with it. Just to let everybody know I  try to put my 2600 MHz overclock back in after the installation was done and it lock up again during upgrades so I lower it back down to 2409 MHz  so far it good. The only problem I am having now is one of the upgrades will not install, it is for the Amarok media player which does not matter because I use VLC player and the upgrade is to fix a stability  problem.  Dark06 Thanks for the link.