No post, version 2

Le_Murphant

I like messing with stuff. Sometimes, it's not a good idea. I was looking at how much I could overclock my E6600. I was able to boot at 3100 Mhz with a P5N-E sli mobo and Zalman cpu cooler. Then, I wanted to check the temperature of the southbridge so I opened the case and lightly touched it to see if it needed heatsink. Then, windows froze and I havent been able to POST since.  I've tried erasing the cmos but to no avail. Is my mobo fried? How could lightly touching the surface of the southbridge have done so? It wasent even that hot... Still, I'l know next time.

So it sounds almost like I am lucky few. If one is replacing ram should he also have straps on? I do unplug the comp. But this makes it sound like I've been lucky.

:grin2:

With the power off and you ground yourself to the PSU it will be alright. w3hen I say ground I mean touch one of the screws to the PSU case. That way it will carry the static down the ground leg of the plug.

• 4 weeks later...

So I RMAed the board and received it today. Asus actually didnt charge me anything and gave me a brand new board (yay them). I assembled everything back together to find out... no POST, again! So now I'm  in the dark. I think I took every possible precaution while assembling everything, the mobo was on an antistatic bag, was wearing an antistatic shirt and I grounded myself every 2 minutes. But still, there is the same problem, the fans go on but nothing, no beep, no HD activity, that's it. Is there anything I can do to try to find out where the problem is? Could it be with the cpu? The ram? A bad connection? I tried clearing the cmos and replugging everything, to no avail. Any suggestions on this before I go mad?

I might be repeating myself (acually, i am) but I do not understand computers. I read coknuck's comment, checked my ram (it was fine), thought i could try with a vga output instead of dvi, turned my monitor around (it was displaying "media disconnected" at that point, I see that my monitor's power cord isn't entirely fitted in but power is still being transmitted because the display is lit, I plug it in completely, check that the vga is plugged into the monitor (dvi is still plugged into the computer, that is running), return the monitor and TA DA! It's running. Now it can't be power output since there was already a message on the screen and I didn't touch the dvi plug, so I really don't know what the problem was. Most important thing is: it's fixed, and partially thanks to you guys. So yeah, thank you!