Are poor speeds enough to cancel contract?

MikeSel^

Hello all, I signed up with talktalk (uk) about 12 months ago. They sold it to us saying the speeds would increase, when infact they didnt.. They got worse!

I am now getting sick and tired of it, but they wont let me move because its an 18month contract!! I cant wait any longer

I need some help getting out of this contract!!!

See my signature for speed results.. These are the fastest I have ever seen it!

Hi MikeSel^  and welcome ,

Now that is a difficult one, as Talk Talk will fall back onto the small print

" Broadband up to 8Meg "  the word UP being the operative word !!!!

but indeed you have  poor speed there , the UK average for up to 8Meg is around 2.5 -3.5 Mb, there are many factors involved in getting reasonable speeds , Exchange , line length  , line condition, filters,  in house extension sockets , etc.  who were you with b4 ? and were they faster ? 

the only way out of The contract seems to be to make a pest of youself , till they are  glad to see you go ,

don't  move on to Pipex , was good once but now owned by Tiscali  :evil2:

and speeds dropping fast for me , best I get is 1800 Kbps, and never saw more than 2400Kbps at best on my UP to 8 meg ADSL

give Justinlay's good advice a try first , 

BTW I use TCP Optimizer , easy enough to use and makes a back up of previous settings,

Regards

Roco ...UK

Thanks guys..

Well I connect to a Netgear router which is running the latest firmware..

I have 5 PC's, one is a dual core PC the rest are laptops. The Dual Core is hard wired the rest are wireless.

I have been here before :) used to be called MikeSel.. But managed to forget my password and I've also switched e-mail addresses since!

I went for the best plan available as they gaurenteed me the best speed.. As another test, I started downloading a 1.5gb torrent from many hosts! This took 1 and a half days!

My next door neighbour has the same router as me and is getting 2.2MBps from a company which went bust a long time ago!

All my PC's are free of virus and spyware etc. (As a Server Support Analyst I am pretty sure they are running at the optimum levels!)

I have 4 XP Pro machines and 1 Vista Businiss.

I used the TCP optomiser last time I was here. However i am getting the same speed as whats reported on the router stats, so I see no need.

DownStream Connection Speed 576 kbps

UpStream Connection Speed 288 kbps

Is this about average for a UK line?

Line Attenuation  downstream 48 db up 15 db

Noise Margin down 15 db up 25 db

After watching a tv programme about it last night I intend to do a collection of tests from various sites at various times and complain to them about it. If nothing gets done I am going to complain some more, and to everyone I can think of about it!

I have been told by BT I should be getting between 2 and 3 MBps.  I dont know how much truth there is in that, but as my neighbour get 2, I should think it wont be far off..

I live in the middle of no where, and there is only 4 houses then it's 8 miles to the next townvillage so I dont think its contention..

Its just frustrating!

I live in the middle of no where, and there is only 4 houses then it's 8 miles to the next townvillage so I dont think its contention..

It only takes one abuser to take down an underpowered hub. And you make it sound like you're an awfully long distance away from the most common place for a central hub, which tends to kill your speed.

It only takes one abuser to take down an underpowered hub. And you make it sound like you're an awfully long distance away from the most common place for a central hub, which tends to kill your speed.

In my case there's to many people on one tower. Every day @ 4 my connection just goes to sh#t. But yah a underpowered hub, and the distance is going to be a big factor

just thought my stats may help ?

Line Attenuation  downstream  45  up 31 db

Noise Margin down 15 db up 23 db

con.rate down  2656 kbps

con.rate  up     448  kbps

I am  3 miles off the exchange/Hub ( congested )

this should give me 2.6-3.3 Mbps ,   I get around 2Mbps, dropping to 1.7Mbps at peak times  and loose about 10%-15% running a TMN speed test ,

Thanks guys

As I said, my neighbour gets a steady 2mb!

Surely the differnce of about 10 foot cant make it drop by that much!?

I am looking at switching ISP's BT say I can get between 2 and 3mb, so hopefully theres some truth in it!

We will see, guess I just have to wait another 4 months  :cry:

good luck Mike

I still mistrust the "Should , possibly , up to , etc ) nobody can say "will get ", which I find extraordinary in these Hi-Tech times , it still seems to be "the proof is in the pudding "

I see some ISP's are now offering a 30 day trial period , from the day you order ,

then take 3 weeks to get it up and running , then if you complain of slow speeds they say wait for the 10 days  it takes for the  line adaptive rate to settle ,all LOL you are out of the 30 day trial period :lol: line rate adapts in the first 75 mins. after that it is all down hill , but will reset the sync. rate at any time , to give best connection without drop outs , changing the modem/router can cause this to adapt + or -   

Line Attenuation, lower is better , your 48db is close to mine @ 45 db , so BT's 2-3 Mbps looks about right , and within the UK average % range on  8 max adsl

I am hearing good reports on BT as an ISP  :shocked:, but I may well chose Be.There .com , but ain't happy with the extra charge for e-mail  :idiot2:,

only 4 months to go , post back and let us know , who you have gone with , and your speeds ,I shall be moving ISP's in late Jan 08 ,

:afro: your descion makes sense to me as they own the line to the exchange ,

so you shouldent get caught in the"it's a Bt problem /ISPproblem syndrome  ,and

getting shunted back and forth , got a friend on BT he is very happy now , he had some initial problems , but now  gets 6Mbps but he is only a mile from the exchange ,

the only doiwnside I can see is the BT cost ,

thanks for the head up on the BT phone and broard band , I will look into that ,

i used to be with BT and was told i would get 5.5Mbps and i actually got 7.9Mbps and im about 10 miles from the exchange im now with TalkTalk and my speeds below :sad: are a joke but i would not go back to BT for any speed

share2-FZQ59EY0P&dual=yes&q2=AUKP5M9S8

Hi and welcome ronnie7,

I am amazed you got 7.9Mbps  with a 10 mile line lenght with BT,

BT guide to Speed X line lengh ,

Line length <3km, possibility of an 8Mbps line speed

Line length <5km, possibly 4Mbps

Line length <6km in the region of 1 to 2Mbps

Line length <7km, 0.5Mbps and possibly up to 1Mbps

Ultra long lines, the old Home 250 is still available, but a Max service may sync right down to 160kbps

http://www.farina1.com/bookmark/000004/2005/02/27/00020260.HTM,

That may be an option I have a domain name with 999 email accounts anyway... And a catch all account in fact :P

Just the idea of the free wifi connection is appealing. as the clouds are popping up everywhere so to speak :P

Plus I dont think thats much to pay for BB and calls.. With the option of thr tv on demand service.

Does anyone know if the ports on the routers can be opened or not? For BT thatr is

i seem to have put a 0 at the end of my 1 not ten miles only 1 ooops :uglystupid2:

:lol: Ronnie 7118 thanks on that, as I was thinking you had found the miracle ingredient  :lol: as  I had put you down as within 1000 yards of the exchange ,

I am working on a theory on line voltage , it is 50-51 volts dc at the exchange , I only see 48volts dc at my end , I guess due to line resistance over length  ? , this may well be a clue to line speed , and nobody else seems to be working on that theory , the 50-51volts I got from a BT line engineer , and I am not suggesting  folks should try testing this themselves  :evil6:

sorry Mike can't help there on ports ,I don't use a router, just a pci card adsl modem  , it's faster than a usb modem for me ,

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="

name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>