Device: USB Modem

Lock-in Period: 24 months

Smart Bro Plan 999

Speed: up to 384Kbps

Usage: unlimited

Initial Setup Fee: Php999

Device: USB Modem

Lock-in Period: 12 months

This new product uses the 3G technology (while the existing one has the Canopy). Press release says the speed is between 384 to 768Kbps.

IS THIS BETTER?

does that mean you pay 799 for 60 hours, and then 10 pesos per hour thereafter? i won't like that, since i mostly use my computer 12 hours a day. that would mean the 60 would only last 5 days. in the long run, it could get expensive, plus the more expensive connection fee. i also don't like the 2 year lock in.

is the plan 999 you said the one we use? or the plug-in also come with a 999 plan?

Guest ExtremeFusion

:idiot2:

Correct Me if I am wrong, but plan 799 targets laptop user who constantly needs iNet Connection..

Can't deny the fact that there are few areas here in the Phil. that offers as a Hot Spot, most likely this Hot Spots are located in Business, Leisure, and Travel Area...

Like in Malls, Ortigas and Makita Area, Airport...

3G you say?!

What would they do in th existing AP?!

Just a few question  :?:

Is 3G bandwidth, allocated in a different source..

If Circuit Switched is carried by Cell Site and Our Wireless Broadband is carried by AP/Basestation..

Where do 3G fit in?

I think it is carried by Cell Site too...  :idiot2:

:idiot2:

Correct Me if I am wrong, but plan 799 targets laptop user who constantly needs iNet Connection..

Can't deny the fact that there are few areas here in the Phil. that offers as a Hot Spot, most likely this Hot Spots are located in Business, Leisure, and Travel Area...

Like in Malls, Ortigas and Makita Area, Airport...

3G you say?!

What would they do in th existing AP?!

Just a few question  :?:

Is 3G bandwidth, allocated in a different source..

If Circuit Switched is carried by Cell Site and Our Wireless Broadband is carried by AP/Basestation..

Where do 3G fit in?

I think it is carried by Cell Site too...  :idiot2:

plug-it is also at plan 999 offering unlimited usage, perfect for mobile/laptop users. the existing ap's will still be for users using the canopy antenna.

yes, the 3G being utilized in this new product is also the same 3G on cellular phones, so basically it is being transmitted thru cellsites. 3G services include wide-area wireless voice telephony and broadband wireless data, all in a mobile environment.

the existing canopy system (wi-fi network) is shortranged mainly developed for data while 3G networks are wide area cellular telephone networks which evolved to incorporate high-speed internet access and video telephony.

so which do you think is better?

Guest ExtremeFusion

lol, yeah CB that is a nifty way to get a smartBro CSR answer your call quickly.. hehehe  :evil6:

anyways, i dunno too.. if 3G is a lot better than our current Wi-fi...

i have not tried using an HSDPA card on laptop or 3G mobile phone, I use my big bro's 3G phone but his model is not supported by globe.. that is why i don't know how fast and how comparable it is with the one we are using right now..

I think it is now down to 40 hours - then in blocks of 30 minutes metering.

Meaning, if you connect to the internet at 1:30pm, then disconnect at 1:45pm, your consumption is already rounded off to 30 mins.

Then if you connect again at 1:55pm until 2:10pm, your consumption is already counted as two blocks of 30 mins.

So, your usage from 1:30pm to 1:45pm then 1:55pm up to 2:00pm is for the first 30 minutes.

Then your usage from 2:01pm up to 2:10pm is already for the second 30 minutes.

---------------------

It is actually different from the smartBRO using canopy-AP. Perhaps, they called it smartbro plug it since it's similar to the existing smartbro using canopy-AP ( i mean, because it's all about the internet). Actually, if you call *1888 they will just give you some details and  WILL advise you to dial *888 ( gsm hotline ) to get plug it support.

• 2 weeks later...

first of all PHP799 / mo for 40 hours only is how do we say deceivingly cheap...

less than 2 days lang yan... after the 40 hours PHP10 / 30 minutes...

this is Smart's answer to Globe Visibility which is tagged at PHP2k / mo for unlimited access...

i dunno who would benefit smartbro's plan but the reason you will get mobile broadband is

internet anywhere and unlimited internet at that...

smartbro may look cheap at first glance but computing the charges after using the 40 hours will not be so wallet friendly...

for example average month is 30 days... 30 * 24 hours is 720 hours - 40 hours for the initial PHP799 is equals to 680 hours * 2 for the half hour charging of smartbro is equals to half hour 1360 * PHP10 equals

PHP 13600 + PHP 799 for a 30 day 24/7 broadband compared to Globe's PHP 2000 for a 30 day 24/7 broadband...

speed will also be an issue but as far as i have observed there are more globe 3G areas around metro manila and bulacan compared to smart...

plus judging smartbro this is bound to have more problems that it's ate plan 999...

just my opinion though...

PS. I dunno if i computed it right since i really suck at math... gomen...

lol, yeah CB that is a nifty way to get a smartBro CSR answer your call quickly.. hehehe  :evil6:

anyways, i dunno too.. if 3G is a lot better than our current Wi-fi...

i have not tried using an HSDPA card on laptop or 3G mobile phone, I use my big bro's 3G phone but his model is not supported by globe.. that is why i don't know how fast and how comparable it is with the one we are using right now..

3G is better than WiFi... remember the days with FBT(Free Browse Tech.) using globe? i was using my n70 as a modem then and download rate never  goes less than 50kB/s in 3G mode... too bad globe FBT stopped already... that's why i was forced to subscribe to smartbro.... T-T

• 3 weeks later...

Heck, 800php for 40 hours? There are no "free hours" in that, you pay exactly 10pesos per 30mins (with a 1php discount on your 40 hours :laugh: )

There is another way to use Smart's 3G internet, Prepaid Style!:

1. You need to own a 3G-capable phone and configure it according to the settings of Smart..

2. Get a Smart SIM card

3. Connect your phone to the PC or laptop then the internet and use "Smart Internet" as your access point.

4. You get charged 10php per 30 mins even if you reconnect tons of times. I am using this method with my laptop. Saves me the pain of spending 1995php for application fee. :grin:

I own a Nokia n73 and connect it to my laptop via the PC Suite and connect to the internet.

So there you have it, Prepaid Broadband!

Note: You must be within 3G coverage of Smart to use this feature.