router problems :(

saygoodie

I'm assuming everything is wireless. Or do you have anything hard-wired to the router that also loses connection at the same time as everything else? Also, have you searched the Linksys website for help? Microwaves and cordless phones can play hell with your wireless signals.

This is a recurring problem that I see a lot with linksys routers. I would for a WISP and have many people that seem to run into this problem with there linksys routers. My usual recommendation is to tell people to upgrade there routers to use DD-WRT, which is a third party firmware that has a great many features and also fixes this issue. On top of that it is free. The problem you are going to run into, is that, as old as your router is, it is not supported. It sounds like the router may just be getting old and need to be replaced.

• 3 weeks later...

It is a known problem..  It is related to the limited memory dor the device to use.  The WRT54g has a simular issue with Bit torrent traffic that causes the device to crash and/or network throughput to drop to kb/s.  The only way around it is to update the firmware to whatever the latest is, or purchase a router that is supported by DD-WRT.  Linksys is know for crappy firmware.