Damit , am I the

Roco

dammit, am I the only one running the oldest box on TMN forum ?

I built it about 4 years back , it's a 2.5  athlon Xp + with 1 gb of ram , nvidia GF 6200 vid card and cheapo AsRock M/B  and Xp Pro , ,

so my specs don't appear in my Sig , in 2008 I may build again , once I figure out this dual core X Quad core mystical stuff I keep reading about on TMN forum ,

and this is my #1  puter , I got lots of Pentium 2 's kicking about ,

so for a change,can anyone beat that as a misery puter spec ? :lol:,

well it does what I need ,  but this is a kinda are you happy with what you got type of question , if not what are your plans/dreams for puter related stuff for 2008 ?

or even deeper, convince me I need to upgrade  :lol: I indeed may listen to your suggestions , but I do have a selective hearing problem  :evil6:

well it does what I need ,  but this is a kinda are you happy with what you got type of question , if not what are your plans/dreams for puter related stuff for 2008 ?

or even deeper, convince me I need to upgrade  :lol: I indeed may listen to your suggestions , but I do have a selective hearing problem  :evil6:

I am very happy with what I have right now.

But in '08 I would like to upgrade to a 24'" iMac. Only reason I haven't yet, is i'm waiting for them to upgrade the video card to a Geforce 8 Series or better, or a ATI 3850 or something, not a big fan of the 2600....

I would really like a mac with multi-touch and we know its coming just don't know when yet.

dam, :lol: I keep getting heads up on Mac's , I got friends that have used them at work , but I have never tried one, I think they may be even more unpopular over here in the UK, maybe it is a cost thing ?, as most puter stuff is +100% more in the UK,  most super store dual core Win puters work out at  $900 USD, in the UK ,

even if I build my own it will cost $700 USD , but it would be to my spec..and upgradeable ,

BTW iMac prices UK  http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore.woa/wa/RSLID?nnmm=browse&mco=7B723664&node=home/shop_mac/family/imac

P.s UK wages are about on the same level as USA, = $2 USD to

I'm like you Roco about building a new one. I'm really happy with the one I got now. It a 3.2P4 and a cheap Foxconn board.Hell I'm still using onboard video. I run XP and I'm not a gamer so there is no need for a video card. I got one gig of PC3200 CL 2 ram. Until I make the move to Vista or the next best thing I'll stay as is. :wink:

dam, :lol: I keep getting heads up on Mac's , I got friends that have used them at work , but I have never tried one, I think they may be even more unpopular over here in the UK, maybe it is a cost thing ?, as most puter stuff is +100% more in the UK,  most super store dual core Win puters work out at  $900 USD, in the UK ,

even if I build my own it will cost $700 USD , but it would be to my spec..and upgradeable ,

BTW iMac prices UK  http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore.woa/wa/RSLID?nnmm=browse&mco=7B723664&node=home/shop_mac/family/imac

P.s UK wages are about on the same level as USA, = $2 USD to

:smile2: thanks for the input Coknuck , my puter speed seems OK , and I don't do games either , I am beginning to think as I get older maybe my puter is getting faster ,:evil6:, but I figure one last upgrade is near on due , so maybe a better spec puter with  Vista may see me out ,

this isn't a morbid or funny post , just me being pratical , I have some friends on Pentium 2's and win 95 who are happy with that , just for e-mail and word 97 ,

although they give me headaches at times . :evil6:

I guess I am trying to convince myself the old dog ain't past it yet , and I need an excuse to build again  :lol:,

dam I just been told by a lady "friend " that in old boys the eyesight goes first , followed by the sex drive , then puter ability  :evil2:,

:lol: another friend lost I guess  :evil6:, ............ :lol:

WOW, its $1600 bucks for the cheapest iMac.

If i lived there i would have someone over hear buy it then ship it too me.

ain't that the truth dlewis , lots of folk in the States say ain't Britain   cute , good old England , it's lovely , so old fashioned ,

LOL Bro try paying the taxes , petrol now $ 9.50 USD a gallon taxed at @ 76% , and a reasonable hotel in London around $300 USD a night without meal's , now we are worrying where have all the American tourist's gone , Bro the writing is clearly on the wall ,

BTW, anyone from the USA thinking of visiting the UK , especially for the 2012 Olympics , give me a PM for updates , and prices , I maybe able to help ,

I built mine about 6 months ago or more. Have the dual core 4200 atholon with 2 gig of ram. I have a asus motherboard. Been really happy with it. I know atholon at one time was talking about 2 dual cores on the same motherboard. If and when I make another build I would be forsure wanting to build that. The quads I have really herd nothing about good or bad. I would think there would be a bottleneck issue with the quads but could be wrong.

ain't that the truth dlewis , lots of folk in the States say ain't Britain  cute , good old England , it's lovely , so old fashioned ,

LOL Bro try paying the taxes , petrol now $ 9.50 USD a gallon taxed at @ 76% , and a reasonable hotel in London around $300 USD a night without meal's , now we are worrying where have all the American tourist's gone , Bro the writing is clearly on the wall ,

BTW, anyone from the USA thinking of visiting the UK , especially for the 2012 Olympics , give me a PM for updates , and prices , I maybe able to help ,

I know things are out of control there. I had to send some guys there for a install a few months ago and the hotel was $550 a night, and wasn't that great. The place is real nice, but it just too expansive.

dlewis23 

Welcome to rip of Great Britain ,  :evil2:, sorry you found out the hard way , none of our Hotels are that great , the meals wouldn't keep a pigeon alive for a day , I got friends that have visit the states , they reckon just the breakfast alone would keep them alive for a week ,

we actually have UK citizens suffering from malnutrition in 2007  :sad:

but the upside is,we don't have an obesity problem  :evil6:

I built mine about 6 months ago or more. Have the dual core 4200 atholon with 2 gig of ram. I have a asus motherboard. Been really happy with it. I know atholon at one time was talking about 2 dual cores on the same motherboard. If and when I make another build I would be forsure wanting to build that. The quads I have really herd nothing about good or bad. I would think there would be a bottleneck issue with the quads but could be wrong.

thanks for the input ninjageek ,

I guess a dual core would be more than enough for my use , and that is the way I am thinking of going, it will be a AMD chip, as that is realy all I know , I guess I need to study  :icon_study: some more , I have been looking at the prices of socket A cpu's,

S/H for a 3.2 in the uk , at around $100 USD,  but hard to find , so I may cut my loses and build a new dual core box ,

BTW I had a HP dual core in to re-load , after, the performance score topped any thing  I had seen b4  :evil2:, and it was sure fast in every day tasks ,

and started my "wont one thoughts "  :lol:

Awww, you should have another year on it Roco. I always heard 5 years, then donate it to the needy. (wait, wasn't that you?)  :evil6: Like I'll hand mine to my girls. Let them beat it the rest of the way to the grave. But I have a feeling they already did theirs in. I have to do a couple more diagnostics before I pronounce it though. So I may be in for a dual core before I know it.

ain't that the truth dlewis , lots of folk in the States say ain't Britain   cute , good old England , it's lovely , so old fashioned ,

yeah, let's all head over for the olympics. we'll live on the cheap at roco's place. :lol:

as for low specs, a 1 ghz p3 with a busted agp slot making the screen half readable half interference? not helped by the old 17" dell crt hooked up to it?

Live on the cheap for the Olympics :shocked:, I am paying a special London Tax for the 2012 games $80 USD, rising yearly , and I ain't even taking part , as I got beat in the tidily- winks semi final :evil2:

seriously if anyone is thinking on visiting the UK , I MAY be able to help , as we have a dual level of living over here , and tourists are in the

Rip off section , which in titles them to an additional +  200% price hike on most things ,  :twisted:

someone tell me how to get my specs...and when i post it i think we'll find my is older than roco's...maybe not...can't remember when i last got an upgrade...

i'm happy with what i have...

right click on my computer, and click properties. It will say some of it on the first tab at the bottom. 

Personally it's become necessity for me to stay attentive to the newest. Where I felt thing fell apart was when the mainstream gaming industry left the PC, and took a sharp left to gaming consoles. Games just aren't performing as well on a PC as they should. The code is there, but the hardware/ and such lags. Until there is a major breakthrough in internal throughput "bandwidth" / Bus speeds, we re stuck in limbo.

As for my building a new box, well, thats ongoing, I refuse to allow the ramblings of "vista" to coax me into another ME cycle. NT is still the most stable secure structure that MS has introduced.Until MS acts on the fact that the UNIX system is the future, all they have is reintroduction of warmed over windows 2000.

I state all this due to the fact if you are not gaming, compiling,or rendering, just posting your thoughts on testmy.net, or simple banking and such, a 1-2 GHz machine will be suffice. Or less if your patience is up.

Realize that typing on forums is just glorified teletype  :wink2: anyone here remember those days? I still use it for certain forms of communication.

Look at the storage space you have, then look at how slow your fastest computer today is running, puts things in perspective. We still have not found a way to produce light without heat, when we do that then and only then will we see real progress in technology.

As for my building a new box, well, thats ongoing, I refuse to allow the ramblings of "vista" to coax me into another ME cycle. NT is still the most stable secure structure that MS has introduced.Until MS acts on the fact that the UNIX system is the future, all they have is reintroduction of warmed over windows 2000.

I state all this due to the fact if you are not gaming, compiling,or rendering, just posting your thoughts on testmy.net, or simple banking and such, a 1-2 GHz machine will be suffice. Or less if your patience is up.

All of the new OS's from MS are NT based. They have been that way since 2000. Vista is the best OS from Microsoft, it needs a lot of improvement but it is the best os, and we are stuck with it for the next 10 years. It should be UNIX. But don't count on MS every going to that because then they will have to admit they were wrong the entire time.

And as for a 1.2Ghz machine.. your joking right? Even for just online banking thats not enough anymore. Have you seen some of the new banking websites? Capitalone has moved all there stuff over to some pretty advanced flash and javascript and it doesn't run well on a slower machine. There new cardlab website runs slow on everything.

If you want to keep up with whats going on with the new sites on the internet you need to have a fast up to date machine.

Even things like forum software is getting really advanced.

I'll stand corrected on the internet banking,  I just assumed the security would be the slowest link, wich in turn would be your connection.    I also assume that the general population is running anywhere  a  2 gig box or so. yeah, you have many out there running more than that, but really.  I also realize M$ has been stuck on making  NT pretty for years, as wellas directed towards media.  Don't worry, I'm not bashin you D , just M$. JUst had my fill, thats all. :smile2: