having trouble with my comcast speed.

Hi guys,

I have the 4MB package from comcast.  And recently it has slowed down a lot. Heres a test I just took.

Your connection is: 1474 Kbps or 1.5 Mbps

You downloaded at: 180 kB/s

You are running: 26 times faster than 56K and can download 1 megabyte in 5.69 second(s)

Member Ident:Username:RocketKobe CompID:652928399109

Test Time:: 2007/12/23 - 3:56pm

Test Browser and OS info: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1)

Test ID: BLFDASYCG (if this is a screenshot go to testmy.net to see if this is fake)

Diagnosis ^info^: May need help : running at only 24.32 % of your hosts average (comcast.net)

This was tested from a 1496 kB file and took 8.313 seconds to complete

I don't usually use my computer, but I do play on xbox live using a wireless adapter.  My question is, is there anything I can do to get more speed out of my internet?

Ex: I can be in a game, it it randomly spikes really bad lag for 30 seconds at a time.  This has been going on for  about a month.

I'm very computer illiterate.  Thanks for your comments in advance,

I know alot of gamers who are having the same problem with comcast as of lately. Maybe try rebooting your router and modem. Leave unplugged for 3 minutes that may help but no guarantee. Also check for spyware/viruses. Try a tracert to the ip you are tryn to reach. Comcast did loose a huge percentage this quarter but they will probably bounce back.

• 3 weeks later...

every night around 7pm, my 8meg service drops to a1meg. it'll stay that way till 1 am or so. like clockwork every night, and comcast says my service shows no issues... side note to that my upload never dips at all, stays a steady 1.5...

My comcast connection  does the same thing.Download suck /Uploads stay good. My theory is Comcast oversold the node and between those hours everybody on their computer or their telephone using up a lot of  the bandwidth.

so i called and complained, again, about speed slowdown. as usual they send out a tech the next day (i did however get a free month out of it)... so the tech shows at 3pm, i make him well aware of the speed issue time frame. thankfully when the tech was out front my neighbor complained about slow dl's and glitchy cable too. so it's not just my feed from the street. he calls supervisor, and between the super and a engineer they are going to show up here and speed check at the "aledged time frame". so far it sound like a clear network issue in the area.

i say call and complain everyday, keep speed tests everyday to prove it, and rally the neibs hopefully for a resolution lol...we'll see how it pans out.