Computer does not turn on :*(

Sonu

I recently hibernated my computer in order to switch the pci slots that my tv tuner was in to try and make it work. Whenever I finished switching pci slots, my computer did not turn on. I put the tv tuner back in the slot it was to try and make it turn on but nothing happened. There is a light that turns on on my motherboard that I think signals that it gets power so I am not sure if it is a power supply issue. Any suggestions are appreciated.  :icon_pale: :icon_pale:

You should always shut your computer off and unplug it before you work on it. With that said when you start the computer do you get anything [like the BIOS screen] . The light show that the motherboard is getting power,you may have shorted something out on the motherboard.

...could be the motherboard like posted above (sorry if you already posted a result...its late and im getting ready for bed...)

but to answer your question...i've had a few computers in my tech class that i teachers aide for where the switch went out....i had to put a new one in and it worked fine.    :wink2:

hell i've had a computer i thought was broken and it was just that the power cord goin to the wall outlet was messed up....so it could be anything really.

Anything is possible, that is why I said to try the power supply if you have one. I was having a problem with one of my computer it would just shut off [like someone pulled the plug ],it would start right back up when I hit the power button and run like nothing happen.  When I posted the question on another forum they said it was a bad power supply or the motherboard was bad. I reinstall windows and never had a problem with it again,that was 3 months ago. You should be able to jump the switch with a small piece of wire to see if the switch is bad, just be careful not to short anything out..

try bridging the start button , but I fear it's the mother board , does any of the internal fans run ? , I have a mother board that has failed that way , repeated hot wiring the start button will eventualy force a start , in about 1/10 times ,  :evil2:,

NOTHING turns on, including the fans, I am currently trying to borrow a power supply to test the computer.

OK , one last thought from me, have you tried starting the computer with the TV card removed ? ,

but sorry to say I still think it is the M/B , hope I am wrong on that , power supplies have built in protection and are normaly reliable , mother boards are very sensitive to static and other things ,

just thinking on swaping the TV card, you didn't knock any connectors off , especialy those from the front panel as the don't lock on

it's easy done , and worth checking also ,

It could be the motherboard but before you go replacing it you may want to remove everything from the computer, one part at a time making sure the power is completely off between changes, to see if you can at least get it to post, the tuner card could be part of the issue, but it could also be a ground fault. It may simply be that another card got damaged. If you want to go on the premise of it being the power supply they do sell inexpensive devices that will test that as well.