Not going as fast as it should be

Bird Fan

I'm on a 3/512 package with SBC Global Yahoo DSL

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Download Connection is:: 2074 Kbps about 2.1 Mbps (tested with 2992 kB)

Download Speed is:: 253 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (Main)

Test Time:: 2007/12/28 - 8:41am

Bottom Line:: 36X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 4.05 sec

Tested from a 2992 kB file and took 11.816 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: May need help : running at only 81.37 % of your hosts average (sbcglobal.net)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-1PCLE9XJA

User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X; en-US; rv:1.8.1.11) Gecko/20071127 Firefox/2.0.0.11 [!]

:::.. Upload Stats ..:::

Upload Connection is:: 427 Kbps about 0.4 Mbps (tested with 1496 kB)

Upload Speed is:: 52 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (Main)

Test Time:: 2007/12/28 - 8:44am

Bottom Line:: 7X faster than 56K 1MB Upload in 19.69 sec

Tested from a 1496 kB file and took 28.689 seconds to complete

Upload Diagnosis:: Awesome! 20% + : 21.31 % faster than the average for host (sbcglobal.net)

U-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-0KWMYJ56P

User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X; en-US; rv:1.8.1.11) Gecko/20071127 Firefox/2.0.0.11 [!]

Upload is decent but download is still a little slower than what I should be getting...

It's in windows. Control panel/network connections / right click on properties of the  local area connection that you are using  /click on configure/ click on advanced /scoll down to speed & duplex and click on it. Change from auto-sense to 100Mbps Full Duplex / then click OK. You might have to reboot to get it to work.

On the windows computer have you try cablenut or TCP Optimizer? Also how far down the line are you from the DSL hub? Have you try the speed tests early in the morning or late at night [off peak hours] they may have overloaded the line.

edit- I can not set it on my wireless laptop either.

On the windows computer have you try cablenut or TCP Optimizer? Also how far down the line are you from the DSL hub? Have you try the speed tests early in the morning or late at night [off peak hours] they may have overloaded the line.

edit- I can not set it on my wireless laptop either.

I'm sure we're pretty far out. We're about 10 miles from town.

I have tried Cablenut in the past and have it set on my wireless laptop which gets around the same speeds.

When school starts back up I'll do some 6 AM speed tests.

You probably have a different router and the login to the router will likely be a different IP address, but the general instruction below may be helpful in getting you port configuration correct:

Want to share some information I recently obtained while trying to correct a slow download speed issue.  The  Verizon Tech replaced my old D-Link DI-624 router with subject router and I was still getting horrible download speeds in the range of less than 1 Mbps (paying for 15/2).

The tech was getting 15/2 on his laptop through the router. 

The key for me was change the port configuration setting to Full Duplex 100 on each connection.

After I did this...I got the full 15/2.

To change this setting. login to your actiontec (192.168.1.1).  Click on Advanced at top right.

Click yes to proceed.  Click on Port Configuration. On the ports that are connected, click on the drop down arrow and select 100 Full Duplex.  I had two ports connected so I did this on both.  Worked like a charm.

The previous auto settings did not open the router to its fastest potential.  If you ever need to reboot the router, this setting will be set back to auto and you will need to change the port configuration again.

Please let me know if this helps