SmartBro Canopy Software Update, How to? (w/ screenshots)

Guest ExtremeFusion

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi. im new hier, have you guys tried the proxies?

welcome to the forum arrows_one..  :welcome:

if you are referring to the canopy software update you actually don't need any proxy configuration. just go on with the step by step guide provided by extreme fusion.

welcome

hi. thanks for the welcome. nope im not referring to the canopy updates, just changing the proxy and port on the setting of IE or firefox can boost the internet connection.

ohh thanks for opening that idea.. i hope it will work.. you can actually make a more thorough guide on how to do it. people would surely appreciate that..

not to sound rude, but in my case using proxy is actually not a good idea, aside from the fact that theres no such thing as FREE fast proxy server. you usually get ad-flooded host with limited functionality. such as no java, no php, and stuff..

and travel time usually is lengthen in that sense.. refer to the diagram.

also using proxy is actually not that secure especially if you are into buying stuff online. you need to input credit card details and stuff. using proxy basically send this data to a 3rd party server which is actually the proxy server, and if the proxy server is into something illegal then it wont be far that they will be using it...

with regards to opening port, since SMARTBRO is a WAN type of network. you cannot open a particular port in your PC.. even if you open a particular port in your pc it wont work unless its opened first in the WAN SERVER.. actually the AP can be considered as a BIG ROUTER. and i know you are aware that if you want to open a port in a particular network you have to open it first in the router before you do it in your PC...

bottom line.. SMARTBRO does not support "opening of port" and proxy server is actually not a good idea unless you get a paid proxy server.. but even though its paid consider the travel time of a particular data.

refer below:

I don't even want to try it. I know my machine won't handle it.(think 1.2 GHz processor, 192 MB RAM)

well it should work.. it worked on mine.. i used my very old laptop... and its 300MHZ beat that!

so it should work.

:idiot2: still i cant upgrade my canopy.. the problem now is something like file transfer error.. whooooooooosssssssssh

i believe you have to check that you are logged on as a root user... before you do the tweaking access your canopy page login as a root user.. then once you are successful in logging as root, dont close your browser and go ahead with the upgrade...

well it should work.. it worked on mine.. i used my very old laptop... and its 300MHz beat that!

so it should work.

i believe you have to check that you are logged on as a root user... before you do the tweaking access your canopy page login as a root user.. then once you are successful in logging as root, dont close your browser and go ahead with the upgrade...

how much RAM does it have?

ohh thanks for opening that idea.. i hope it will work.. you can actually make a more thorough guide on how to do it. people would surely appreciate that..

not to sound rude, but in my case using proxy is actually not a good idea, aside from the fact that theres no such thing as FREE fast proxy server. you usually get ad-flooded host with limited functionality. such as no java, no php, and stuff..

and travel time usually is lengthen in that sense.. refer to the diagram.

also using proxy is actually not that secure especially if you are into buying stuff online. you need to input credit card details and stuff. using proxy basically send this data to a 3rd party server which is actually the proxy server, and if the proxy server is into something illegal then it wont be far that they will be using it...

with regards to opening port, since SMARTBRO is a WAN type of network. you cannot open a particular port in your PC.. even if you open a particular port in your pc it wont work unless its opened first in the WAN SERVER.. actually the AP can be considered as a BIG ROUTER. and i know you are aware that if you want to open a port in a particular network you have to open it first in the router before you do it in your PC...

bottom line.. SMARTBRO does not support "opening of port" and proxy server is actually not a good idea unless you get a paid proxy server.. but even though its paid consider the travel time of a particular data.

refer below:

heres the link on my youtube video regarding proxy. youtube.com/watch?v=kz9_TwpXoAk. i really dont know but it worked for me and to some people who have tried it also, im not really a tech guy like you guys thats why im really open for some comments and suggestions, been using it for almost a month and still it gives me 350Kbps results (smartbro offered only  384Kbps, so im not expecting it can go up much higher than that) (speedtest, 2wire, pldtplay etc) removing the proxy will give me slow internet connection, the highest is 110Kbps.

thanks.

hmm i having 2nd thoughts of updating my canopy, i dont know if i can fix it if something went wrong.  thanks again.

*** i heard that some parts in metro manila, smartbro silently updated the bandwidth from 384Kbps to 512Kbps (sort of testing period i think).

www.youtube.com/watch?v=kz9_TwpXoAk

for the sake of those who wants to view. click play.

if you are lucky enough and if you follow the guides presented here in TMN you can actually go beyond 384.. i got 800 boost speed and around 500 as sustained speed. :)

so far 20 steps by coolbuster is yet the best tweak that i know. :) I stand corrected. :)

if you are lucky enough and if you follow the guides presented here in TMN you can actually go beyond 384.. i got 800 boost speed and around 500 as sustained speed. :)

so far 20 steps by coolbuster is yet the best tweak so far. :) I stand corrected. :)

hmm was it good or bad? what is TMN anyway? (sorry)

so far 20 steps by coolbuster is yet the best tweak that i know. :) I stand corrected. :)

i'm really a hard time digesting all the procedures on how to update the canopy, well i think im just too tired and sleepy its been a long day. my question is after updating the canopy will i'll get more than 384Kbps? i really don't know. anyway. thanks ian, you have helped many of us here in the forums, but for the meantime ill rather stay with my settings, besides my 1 year lock out with smart will soon be over, got an active application from a different IS  provider.. Goodluck to all!!! TMN ... TestMyNet  :icon_pale:

::::::::::.. Upload Stats ..::::::::::

Upload Connection is:: 624 Kbps about 0.6 Mbps (tested with 1024 kB)

Upload Speed is:: 76 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (Main)

Test Time:: 2008/04/29 - 10:15am

Bottom Line:: 11X faster than 56K 1MB Upload in 13.47 sec

Tested from a 1024 kB file and took 13.438 seconds to complete

Upload Diagnosis:: Awesome! 20% + : 147.62 % faster than the average for host (96.6)

U-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-LTDKM56PV

User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.14) Gecko/20080404 Firefox/2.0.0.14

what is TMN anyway? (sorry)

:haha: it's where you r right now...the page your looking at...the friendliest forum on the net...testmy.net :) and if i haven't said it before...welcome to you...hope u enjoy your stay

TMN means TESTMY.NET .. it's not an assurance that you'll get high speed after the update of the canopy page. instead, you will have new settings and options in your CANOPY page after you have upgraded your canopy. :) its really optional.. but for the sake of having the latest version would somehow make you feel better,,,hehe..

TMN means testmy.net .. it's not an assurance that you'll get high speed after the update of the canopy page. instead, you will have new settings and options in your CANOPY page after you have upgraded your canopy. :) its really optional.. but for the sake of having the latest version would somehow make you feel better,,,hehe..

how did you find my video ian?

Ian i have a question for you,how can you split smartbro for 3 pc's?i'm using a wireless  router but i cant use all at the sametime.is it in my sm canopy connection?i insert the RJ lan to my router's LAN.is it okey istead of inserting to RJ 11 socket,please help me my friend.

Ian i have a question for you,how can you split smartbro for 3 pc's?i'm using a wireless  router but i cant use all at the sametime.is it in my sm canopy connection?i insert the RJ lan to my router's LAN.is it okey istead of inserting to RJ 11 socket,please help me my friend.

hello,

sharing your internet connected using a router should work just fine.. except if the one you are referring to is a hub.  when you connect your smartbro to a router that router becomes the PC which owns the connection. then it creates another IP for each of the computer connected to the router.. if its a hub, it wont assign any IPs  to each computer instead it just connects each computer for it to be able each others resources.

Try accessing your ROUTERS PAGE and you have to do some modification in there.  refer to the routers manual or you can check some online resources as well. i dont know much about this.. you might as well use the search option, im confident that this has been discussed somewhere here in the site. :)

:tickedoff:  I lost my head already configuring and restoring my router to its factory default.My router is a 3Com ADSL wireless,Its just that im connecting Smartbro RJ45 to its LAN instead of a RJ 11 that can be found on its DSL connection.maybe thats the problem.I set it to bridging mode already and still it is working only as a hub.If i will buy a linksys router,you will connect smartbro to its LAN ports?not in its DSL RJ11? is it right?Its just that i cant throw

this 3com because i modified its antenna to have a long wire up to my roof so i can get excellent signal all over my place.And the connector male female connector(pigtail like) going to my long wire cost me so much money.Thanks ian for your reply.Maybe it is high time to change my connection to pldt dsl so that i can fully use my router according to manufacturer's guide. :oops:  Many thanks.