Barak Obama's Church

mudmanc4

Got one better for you momma T. Lest we forget.  :kiss:

Shirley Chisholm biography

Shirley Chisholm, profile of the African American woman who was candidate for the Democratic Presidential Nomination.

Shirley St. Hill Chisholm was born on November 30, 1924 in Brooklyn, New York to Charles and Ruby St. Hill. Her father was from British Guiana and her mother was from Barbados. In 1927, Shirley was sent to Barbados to live with her maternal grandmother. She received a good education from the British school system, which she later credited with providing her with a strong academic background.

In 1934, she rejoined her parents in New York. Shirley excelled in academics at Girls High School in Brooklyn from which she graduated in 1942. After graduation she enrolled in Brooklyn College where she majored in sociology. Shirley encountered racism at Brooklyn College and fought against it. When the black students at Brooklyn College were denied admittance to a social club, Shirley formed an alternative one. She graduated in 1946 with honors. During this time, it was difficult for black college graduates to obtain employment commensurate to their education. After being rejected by many companies, she obtained a job at the Mt. Calvary Childcare Center in Harlem.

In 1949, she married Conrad Chisholm, a Jamaican who worked as a private investigator. Shirley and her husband participated in local politics, helping form the Bedford-Stuyvesant political League. In addition to participating in politics, Chisholm worked in the field of day care until 1959. In 1960, she started the Unity Democratic Club. The Unity Club was instrumental in mobilizing black and Hispanic voters.

In 1964 Chisholm ran for a state assembly seat. She won and served in the New York General Assembly from 1964 to 1968. During her tenure in the legislature, she proposed a bill to provide state aid to day-care centers and voted to increase funding for schools on a per-pupil basis. In 1968, After finishing her term in the legislature, Chisholm campaigned to represent New York's Twelfth Congressional District. Her campaign slogan was "Fighting Shirley Chisholm--Unbought and Unbossed." She won the election and became the first African American woman elected to Congress.

During her first term in Congress, Chisholm hired an all-female staff and spoke out for civil rights, women's rights, the poor and against the Vietnam War. In 1970, she was elected to a second term. She was a sought-after public speaker and cofounder of the National Organization for Women (NOW). She remarked that, "Women in this country must become revolutionaries. We must refuse to accept the old, the traditional roles and stereotypes."

On January 25, 1972, Chisholm announced her candidacy for president. She stood before the cameras and in the beginning of her speech she said,

"I stand before you today as a candidate for the Democratic nomination for the Presidency of the United States. I am not the candidate of black America, although I am black and proud. I am not the candidate of the women's movement of this country, although I am a woman, and I am equally proud of that. I am not the candidate of any political bosses or special interests. I am the candidate of the people."

The 1972 Democratic National Convention in Miami was the first major convention in which any woman was considered for the presidential nomination. Although she did not win the nomination, she received 151 of the delegates' votes. She continued to serve in the House of Representatives until 1982. She retired from politics after her last term in office. She has received many honorary degrees, and her awards include Alumna of the Year, Brooklyn College; Key Woman of the Year; Outstanding Work in the Field of Child Welfare; and Woman of Achievement. Shirley Chisholm passed away on January 1, 2005.

http://nh.essortment.com/shirleychisholm_ruol.htm

She had Oprah beat all to hell. Just didn't have Oprah's BIG mouth. She did it with style.  :wink:

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As i say this, know that i am black. I can't stand that people go to these extents to find one little piece of dirt on Obama when there are plenty of things to be hated about the other candidates. I swear some people will vote for a white guy instead of Obama even if they truly think that Obama will do more good for the country. Everyone always attacks the guy in the lead. Now that white supremest see that Obama is winning states and that he actually might be president, they are all now pissed off.

Obama has good intentions. Whether you vote for him or not, get off his f*cking nut sack and let the man run for president. Stop trying to make him look bad, ur just making yourself look more desperate that you don't want a man of color to be THE MOST POWERFUL PERSON ON EARTH. I'll get back to you guys in November when Obama is president.

just so you know, my comments were sarcasm - trying to get people to see that they were buying into the bandwagon. :)

As i say this, know that i am black. I can't stand that people go to these extents to find one little piece of dirt on Obama when there are plenty of things to be hated about the other candidates. I swear some people will vote for a white guy instead of Obama even if they truly think that Obama will do more good for the country. Everyone always attacks the guy in the lead. Now that white supremest see that Obama is winning states and that he actually might be president, they are all now pissed off.

Obama has good intentions. Whether you vote for him or not, get off his f*cking nut sack and let the man run for president. Stop trying to make him look bad, ur just making yourself look more desperate that you don't want a man of color to be THE MOST POWERFUL PERSON ON EARTH. I'll get back to you guys in November when Obama is president.

The bandwagon is the one against him. The same one that sends out those rediculous emails and makes websites that appear to be official when they are really merely opions of people that are united with racist beliefs.

slick but define bandwagon....

barack barely has a bandwagon

MttFrog13    " As i say this, know that i am black, "

for me this sums up all that is wrong in this world , that you feeling the need to say that , for me I was born white , just by chance I could have been born any other colour , religion whatever , or any place in the world , just the luck of the draw for me I guess , racial intolerance is taught from childhood I guess , and in the year 2008 it is time for us all to move on,

If Obama is the best you have , thats OK by me , and that is how it should be  IMHO,

BTW over here in the UK we have a prime minister , Scottish , and not voted for , his religion is unknown to me , but we are giving him a fair crack of the whip ,

Water I am truly amazed at your American way of finding a president , it seems to me to be a pure hollywood dream stuff , is Homer Simpson in the running ?

MttFrog13    " As i say this, know that i am black, "

for me this sums up all that is wrong in this world , that you feeling the need to say that , for me I was born white , just by chance I could have been born any other colour , religion whatever , or any place in the world , just the luck of the draw for me I guess , racial intolerance is taught from childhood I guess , and in the year 2008 it is time for us all to move on,

If Obama is the best you have , thats OK by me , and that is how it should be  IMHO,

BTW over here in the UK we have a prime minister , Scottish , and not voted for , his religion is unknown to me , but we are giving him a fair crack of the whip ,

Water I am truly amazed at your American way of finding a president , it seems to me to be a pure hollywood dream stuff , is Homer Simpson in the running ?

I only said that so you would understand where i am coming from and that i understand what is going on. I dont think Obama deserves all the publicity and attention GOOD OR BAD just because of his color or what church he goes to. My whole point is that people should stop judgin him (hilary too) and just look at what he wants to do for the country.

I only said that so you would understand where i am coming from and that i understand what is going on. I dont think Obama deserves all the publicity and attention GOOD OR BAD just because of his color or what church he goes to. My whole point is that people should stop judgin him (hilary too) and just look at what he wants to do for the country.

It's all about judging character  and integrity. They all lie there brains out , so you have to look at there pasts, and there supposed interests , try an see if you can see through all the cloudy masses of BS.

It's all about judging character  and integrity. They all lie there brains out , so you have to look at there pasts, and there supposed interests , try an see if you can see through all the cloudy masses of BS.

You have a good point but still i don't think the church he goes to is relevant.

H iMttFrog13 , with respect, if that was the reason  ,why the need I don't follow , do you feel the need to give that reason  for where you are comming from ? , I fully agree his colour or religion is immaterial on his ability to be president ,

nope not entirely true...there were others...one of which was Victoria Woodhull in 1872...the running mate she chose was a former slave...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victoria_Woodhull

:)

she was a woman way ahead of her time

Ok, but I meant one who actually had a chance of winning. I know she was serious, but women didn't have the legal right to vote and most black men were afraid to, fearing for their lives if they showed up at the polls. So, effectively, she had to win the majority of votes cast by white men. Sadly, that wasn't going to happen in America in 1870.  :icon_pale:

Water,

You know I respect your intellect and opinion, so would you mind telling us what makes Obama the man for the job, in your opinion? And yes, I am asking nicely hoping that there will be another side to the story in this thread instead of just an Obama bashing party.

I didn't say I was voting for him. What I said was I would vote for him, and why wouldn't I?

I can tell you this much. The man has been an incredible vehicle for downsizing perks of elected officials and keeping them from abusing their positions even more than they have been able to.

I also approve of his stance on people. Please don't take my next comment as a racist one, but it does show he isn't just all about promoting black people without reason (and this is HIS own race so it matters that he takes the stance, not the fact that the stance is about black men). He is all about holding black fathers that are not around for their kids accountable. He is about educating them (and all the poor and getting them the resources to BE educated). He is about strength of the family. Yes, he speaks to black men to tell them to stick around, but he also states that it is important for our contry that parents are involved in parenting and not just procreating.

http://obama.senate.gov/about/

Barack Obama has dedicated his life to public service as a community organizer, civil rights attorney, and leader in the Illinois state Senate. Obama now continues his fight for working families following his recent election to the United States Senate.

Sworn into office January 4, 2005, Senator Obama serves on the Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee, which oversees our nation

An arduous, but very worthwhile task, this florilegium. Thanks to waterRTBH for your insight! Im sure many did not bother to look up such information.

:icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :afro: :afro: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I shall not *dispute* these opinions further as such, there are other blogs with threads for such. This one is meant as reference and information, so we may here discuss *about* them ("why do they think so?") but not against them ("they are wrong").

http://obama.senate.gov/about/

Barack Obama has dedicated his life to public service as a community organizer, civil rights attorney, and leader in the Illinois state Senate. Obama now continues his fight for working families following his recent election to the United States Senate.

Is this all about him that I like? No, but it was enough to allow my mind to accept him as a viable candidate and a person that I will be watching to potentially vote for in the election.

He is not a hypocrite, he wants changes for the American people (all of us, remember - he is half back, half white, with strong ties to the poor) and he is not mired in "the way we do it in Mashington'.

wow water that's some worthwhile info there...and fine points for a presidential candidate...almost made me forget, as i read it, that this is a man that won't swear allegiance to the country that he wants to command...

it's too bad to cuz seems the right talk is all there but the walk isn't...he stumbles one major step imo...that's all i know...but that's just me

i'd vote for u tho :)

wow water that's some worthwhile info there...and fine points for a presidential candidate...almost made me forget, as i read it, that this is a man that won't swear allegiance to the country that he wants to command...

it's too bad to cuz seems the right talk is all there but the walk isn't...he stumbles one major step imo...that's all i know...but that's just me

i'd vote for u tho :)

What do you mean he won't swear allegiance to our country?

I am assuming it was the email here:

http://snopes.com/politics/obama/anthem.asp

but even that is misconstrued. Read it very closely. I HATE these stupid emails that get passed around btw. Some people will never change their minds oonce they see them, and even if it's proved false, they don't care.

i hate those email info/rumor things too...and i usually just delete...but on this...

it was not in an email that i saw it...it was on a news cast...not sure which one...and it included the video clip...and and a couple others where the pledge of allegiance was said and he didn't. so maybe as the article said...maybe sometimes he does and sometimes he doesn't. so there if that's the answer...i have to wonder...why?

btw...in that first senate clip where the male chaplain is saying the prayer...not sure where they got the voice...but that's not him talking...hahaha...i read lips and not only doesn't the voice match the lips but the words and rhythm don't match...hers don't either but it's closer...hehe...i'd have to watch it a couple of times (sound off) to figure what they're saying and why'd they dub in something else...but i thought that part was funny...i never knew they started a senate meeting with a prayer...

don't get me wrong...i'm glad for the prayer...but wtf...they do that in the senate then take it out of the schools?? and the quoting bible scripture is probably a bit over the line but my point was that they did a voice over on those clips...and i have to wonder why...what were they really saying??...i've watched it again and i'd have to slow it way down...it's too choppy and tiny to read...

i just thought that was weird...

but yeh we all have to pray that someone real with no hidden agendas gets into office...they all talk a good game...i've been watching so many clips...i'm pretty sick of them all...maybe i'll just vote for my cat...i've never been so confused about who i want to vote for

i don't chose by race, color or creed...i chose by whomever convinces me that they have the most honor and integrity...you will not that i left out the word, honesty...that's cuz most politicians aren't capable of honesty...it's in their job descriptions (cunning and deceit)

After viewing this video, and reading the article, I floated around for a bit to find a dozen sites  claiming he took his oath on his own bible, next on his own Koran, on a book covered w/ black facing. who knows!  You really cannot believe any of them, if there were one that was being truthful, who would know?  SAD!

Personally, I don't care for him, I have listened to many speeches he has given, and found them to be full of " promise, and hope" and more hope for the promise of hope, and change, for the so called " little guy" , and those in need. BS!  There is little to no substance in what he says, just hope for change. When all else fails , hell, we got hope, well goodie, I feel better .

I am yet decided on a candidate, not for lack of concern, nor attention. I will however find my vote , it may be a decision in the weeks, days, or even as I am standing at the legion in line, but I can say this, it will not be for Hillary, Obama, nor Edwards, guaranteed! As they have fallen prey as the rest, just attacking another, and missing the entire point of leading America. To set the minds of the people at rest, and create an atmosphere that is healthy , and prosperous.