Slow speed on ethernet cable

Doccy D

Hi everybody.

The download speed on my main computer (chip speed 3600) running on XP is fairly reasonable at about 2000 - limited by the telephone wire it comes down, I'm afraid. However, the download speed on a second computer (chip speed 300) running on ME and connected to my router by an ethernet cable is absolutely dreadful at about 100.

My Router is a Vigor and the ethernet cable is not long - about 12 feet.

Both computers have been optimised for broadband connection and I've run all the usual checks - spyware, temp files, cache etc.

Is the problem due to the ancient second computer, ethernet cable or the router? How can I rectify the problem - buy a new computer??

I would be most appreciative for any help.

Thanks

Doccy D

Im confused.  Can you please state weither your counting bits/sec, Bytes/sec, Kbit/sec, or  cheeseburgers per second.   :grin:

Your on Dial-up with an Ethernet cable?

:?:  You have a 3600 MHz computer with download speed of 2000 Bit per sec?

and

:?:  A computer running at 300MHz with download speed of 100bps?

Sorry, let me clarify.

3600 Mhz computer with a download speed of around 2000kbps

300 Mhz computer with a download speed of around 100kbps

Both a connected to the same router - the faster computer by a short ethernet cable, the slower one by a longer ethernet cable.

Yes, it's broadband.

Doccy D

Here are today's download speed results. I would be most appreciative if somebody could throw light on my problem

.:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Download Connection is:: 152 Kbps about 0.2 Mbps (tested with 386 kB)

Download Speed is:: 19 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (Main)

Test Time:: 2008/01/09 - 1:32pm

Bottom Line:: 3X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 53.89 sec

Tested from a 386 kB file and took 20.87 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: May need help : running at only 20.54 % of your hosts average (.)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-9IYNAWK24

User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win 9x 4.90; en-US; rv:1.8.1.11) Gecko/20071127 Firefox/2.0.0.11 [!]

I believe its the 300mhz processor that cant keep up.  I once had a set up much like yours, 3Ghz with downloads of 4000kbps on one computer and Emachine 733mhz with downloads of 1000kbps.  Its the sum of all the slow parts in your computer which they themselves are waiting on a (slow) 300mhz cpu. 

I have a router and cable modum in a wiring closet where the main cable TV line enters the house.  3 computers in 2 rooms are connected to the router by over 100 feet of ethernet cable running through the ceiling and walls.  Weither there is a signal amplifier in my attic I dont know, but I do know that CAT5 Ethernet cable is rated for 100ft with no signal loss.  A 12 foot cable should be flawless.